E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Package - Am I Confused?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

I have a new-to-me 2008 535i with what I think is the sport package. I've been looking around in the forums, but I'm a little confused. My vehicle as all black window trim (not a touch of chrome anywhere) and larger/wider tires on the back than the front. However, it does not have paddle shifters nor a "sport" button on the center console (I've seen/read this in some posts). From the VIN the car was a very early '08 model.

Can anyone difinitely tell me what came in the sport package on the '08 535i, and if that is what I have? Also, while I'm at it, I assume that I don't rotate the tires on this car since I can't move front-rear & vice-versa Also, I've grown up being told to never reverse direction on radial tires, so I should not swap tires from one side of the car to the other - is this true?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

The shadow line trim (no chrome around the windows) indicates that you have the sport option. The sport option gets you sport seats, trim and sport steering wheel. An additional option was the staggered wheels on your 535.

The paddle shifters and sport button is a different option. You get these if your car came with the Sport Auto transmission option. This wasn't a very common option in factory cars -- custom ordered cars often came with this option.

As for reversing radial -- the majority of tires must roll a certain way in order to achieve maximum performance and road traction. On the inside of the tire wall there's an arrow that helps the tire tech mount the tire correctly. I have a 2008 550 and I am in the same boat. I don't rotate tires -- I just buy new ones.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ciphin
The shadow line trim (no chrome around the windows) indicates that you have the sport option. The sport option gets you sport seats, trim and sport steering wheel. An additional option was the staggered wheels on your 535.

The paddle shifters and sport button is a different option. You get these if your car came with the Sport Auto transmission option. This wasn't a very common option in factory cars -- custom ordered cars often came with this option.

As for reversing radial -- the majority of tires must roll a certain way in order to achieve maximum performance and road traction. On the inside of the tire wall there's an arrow that helps the tire tech mount the tire correctly. I have a 2008 550 and I am in the same boat. I don't rotate tires -- I just buy new ones.
Indeed, I was confused. Extremely helpful information - thank you very much!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by MrTantrum
Can anyone difinitely tell me what came in the sport package on the '08 535i, and if that is what I have? Also, while I'm at it, I assume that I don't rotate the tires on this car since I can't move front-rear & vice-versa Also, I've grown up being told to never reverse direction on radial tires, so I should not swap tires from one side of the car to the other - is this true?
The Sport Pkg comes with 18" staggered wheels (style 124). The main feature (which can't be seen) is Active Roll Stabilization, which is a hydraulic suspension leveling system that keeps the car on a flat plane when cornering.

Bi-directional tires CAN be reversed. Uni-directional tires (with the directional arrow on the sidewall) cannot. You can still swap side-to-side but you will have to dismount, remount and balance each tire.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Members

I forgot to mention that I do have the 7 spoke wheels instead of the standard 5 spoke (I assume this is style 124). While not the most eye catching compared to others, they did appeal to me over the standard ones that I saw on some cars.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by pukka
Uni-directional tires (with the directional arrow on the sidewall) cannot. You can still swap side-to-side but you will have to dismount, remount and balance each tire*
*Unless you have an asymmetric tread pattern, such as the OEM Dunlop RFTs. The remount procedure would preserve the original rolling direction, but the inner tread pattern would now be on the outside. Of course, if you have a symmetric tread pattern, then this procedure would allow you to even-up the tread wear due to the negative camber effect.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Members

Based upon what I'm hearing then, should I even bother to rotate the tires? Starting to seem like an unneccessary expense.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I think you just answered your own question.