E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Auto downshifts itself in Manual/Sport mode....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm ya please explain how far you were stepping into the gas pedal, did you really mean pedal to the metal... ALL the way down? or like 3/4 or 1/2?

What I hate about my Lexus is even when in Manual mode shifting using the paddle shifters if I'm in 4th and I decide to give it a little more gas... not even flooring it... just a little more like between 1/2 and 3/4 gas it will downshift. And then it'll be too fast and I'll have to let off the gas and/or step on the brake and it will upshift again... Useless piece of crap transmission.

Sometimes you just need that little extra power but not to the point where it needs to donwshift...

I was hoping the new Sports Auto in BMW would not downshift in Manual mode and behave just like SMG in manual mode... but sounds like thats not the case...

So ya... how far was the gas pedal pressed when it starts to downshift itself in manual mode?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='457506' date='Aug 10 2007, 03:37 PM
Hummm ya please explain how far you were stepping into the gas pedal, did you really mean pedal to the metal... ALL the way down? or like 3/4 or 1/2?

What I hate about my Lexus is even when in Manual mode shifting using the paddle shifters if I'm in 4th and I decide to give it a little more gas... not even flooring it... just a little more like between 1/2 and 3/4 gas it will downshift. And then it'll be too fast and I'll have to let off the gas and/or step on the brake and it will upshift again... Useless piece of crap transmission.

Sometimes you just need that little extra power but not to the point where it needs to donwshift...

I was hoping the new Sports Auto in BMW would not downshift in Manual mode and behave just like SMG in manual mode... but sounds like thats not the case...
So ya... how far was the gas pedal pressed when it starts to downshift itself in manual mode?
I pressed all the way.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've seen it automatically downshift in manual sport mode when accelerating only if you press the pedal all the floor and hit the kickdown switch. Aside from that condition, I don't think it'll downshift under acceleration.

If you ask me, I'm okay with it. I just know that if I hit the kickdown, I'm going to go like a bat out of hell. If I just want to maintain the gear I'm in, then I just don't need to floor it.

This tranny shifts so freaking fast that I'm beginning to teach myself that if I want to go as fast as possible, it's easier to simply mash the pedal and let the car do what it does best. Nevertheless, I still use manual sport mode pretty much all the time...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457524' date='Aug 10 2007, 02:02 PM
Nevertheless, I still use manual sport mode pretty much all the time...

just had to add, gotta love it
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Well sports auto or not, it's still an automatic, so automatic downshifts should be expected.

The only automatic that I've driven that didn't downshift for you in manual mode was an Infiniti I was driving. You could be in fifth and mash the gas pedal and still remain in fifth. Also if you were both in first gear and manual mode, it would redline the car and maintain redline until you upshifted yourself.

While control like this is nice, I believe that if you wish to drive quickly with an automatic, whether it be in a straight line or the track, automatic upshifts and downshifts are required.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457524' date='Aug 10 2007, 04:02 PM
If you ask me, I'm okay with it. I just know that if I hit the kickdown, I'm going to go like a bat out of hell.
Maybe they ought to change the name of "kickdown" to "kickass"....
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457524' date='Aug 10 2007, 05:02 PM
I've seen it automatically downshift in manual sport mode when accelerating only if you press the pedal all the floor and hit the kickdown switch. Aside from that condition, I don't think it'll downshift under acceleration.

If you ask me, I'm okay with it. I just know that if I hit the kickdown, I'm going to go like a bat out of hell. If I just want to maintain the gear I'm in, then I just don't need to floor it.

This tranny shifts so freaking fast that I'm beginning to teach myself that if I want to go as fast as possible, it's easier to simply mash the pedal and let the car do what it does best. Nevertheless, I still use manual sport mode pretty much all the time...
Shifter to the left, press sport button, press paddle shift forward- then drive.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='457496' date='Aug 10 2007, 02:13 PM
Wow...6th to 3rd would be dramatic!
+1. Were you travelling like 40mph when you floored the accelerator...
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='457574' date='Aug 10 2007, 07:45 PM
Shifter to the left, press sport button, press paddle shift forward- then drive.
I'm confused...

I understand how to get it in manual sport mode -- I use it 100% of the time.

What's your point?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457524' date='Aug 10 2007, 02:02 PM

Ah cool. ok thats fine. That actually might be a good thing. so you can basically get on the gas 95% and it still wont downshift but if for some odd reason I just NEED that power flooring it past kick down will downshift... Not bad. I like I like... should I get a 550 sports Auto Rudy?

Quick Reply: Sport Auto downshifts itself in Manual/Sport mode....