E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport 545 Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Thinking of a non-runflat alternative. Can anyone recommend a good non runflat tire?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' date='Oct 27 2005, 01:40 PM
Thinking of a non-runflat alternative. Can anyone recommend a good non runflat tire?

Thanks
[snapback]189595[/snapback]

Toyo Proxes T1-R
Old 10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

If you're in Rhode Island and you'll be using these tires through the winter, I'd consider:

Pirelli PZero Nero M+S

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

can those tires be put on my 18" sport package rims??
Old 10-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:40 PM

Thanks
Are you running on 18 inchers?

I have been also looking for the best 245/40 18" for next summer.

M/S tyres are not an option because in the winter time I need WINTER tyres.

At this point I have 3 alternatives for summer tyres:

1) Bridgestone Potenza RE050
2) Michelin Sport Pilot PS2
3) Continental SportContact2

The Pirelli's are not on the list, beacause I have heard a lot of balancing problems with them.
And as we know, the BMW's are sensitive to that.

My criterias are:

* Non tramlining
* Silence
* Comfort

Here in Europe we see Toyo's as :thumbsdown:

Hope we get an quality discussion over this.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Oct 27 2005, 02:09 PM
[quote name='SolarFactory' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:40 PM']Thinking of a non-runflat alternative. Can anyone recommend a good non runflat tire?

Thanks
Are you running on 18 inchers?

I have been also looking for the best 245/40 18" for next summer.

M/S tyres are not an option because in the winter time I need WINTER tyres.

At this point I have 3 alternatives for summer tyres:

1) Bridgestone Potenza RE050
2) Michelin Sport Pilot PS2
3) Continental SportContact2

The Pirelli's are not on the list, beacause I have heard a lot of balancing problems with them.
And as we know, the BMW's are sensitive to that.

My criterias are:

* Non tramlining
* Silence
* Comfort

Here in Europe we see Toyo's as :thumbsdown:

Hope we get an quality discussion over this.
[snapback]189626[/snapback]
[/quote]

Over here, I know an entire group of 911 owners and drivers who won't use anything -but- Toyo. I've run them (not on my E60) and I loved them. What do Europeans have against Toyo?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

You can put Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (or any non-runflat tire of the correct size) on the stock wheels. I *really, really* like them. I have no issues with tramlining, they wear very well, they're very good in snow considering they're an all-season, and it doesn't cost a flipping million dollars to get 4 tires, like it does with some other tires (about $150-$180/tire depending on size).

I know some people frown on this for some reason, but I can't see spending $400/tire when the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S works so well...

Note that I'm not saying that the M+S is better than having a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. But if you're going to use it as your only set, AND you live in an area where you actually have winter, AND you think $1500 or more for tires is ridiculous, it's something to consider.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Members

www.tirerack.com will have a lot of information for you including ratings from real users.

I personally like the Goodyear GS-D3s....
Old 10-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

To UUronL,

May be that I do not know about Toyo's!?
They are considered to be a cheap brand. I see it as a waste of money to buy an expensive car and put cheap and shitty tyres on it.

There are a few other brands that goes within the same category;
Fulda, Yokohama and Marangoni.

But I have seen a brand new E60' overhere with 245/40 275/35 18"'s Maragonis.

Are Maragonis or Yokohamas sold overthere?

Have you ever heard about brands like Nankang's, Matador's, Marshal's or Hankook's??
They are also sold in EU.

To das,

There's no way I could drive with nothing but the best and REAL winter tyres overhere.
Actually I should use winter tyres with subbs, but except for mirrow ice one does pretty good with the Conties I have.

Looking foreward to this conversation
Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:05 PM
To UUronL,

May be that I do not know about Toyo's!?
They are considered to be a cheap brand. I see it as a waste of money to buy an expensive car and put cheap and shitty tyres on it.

There are a few other brands that goes within the same category;
Fulda, Yokohama and Marangoni.

But I have seen a brand new E60' overhere with 245/40 275/35 18"'s Maragonis.

Are Maragonis or Yokohamas sold overthere?

Have you ever heard about brands like Nankang's, Matador's, Marshal's or Hankook's??
They are also sold in EU.

To das,

There's no way I could drive with nothing but the best and REAL winter tyres overhere.
Actually I should use winter tyres with subbs, but except for mirrow ice one does pretty good with the Conties I have.

Looking foreward to this conversation
[snapback]189656[/snapback]
I have heard of most of those brands. It is often the case that Toyo is mistakenly lumped into this segment.

They are the official tire of at least one racing series - for many seasons they used the Toyo Proxes T1-S tire, and now they use the true racing variant - the RA-1. They are anything but cheap - I paid nearly as much for T1-S as I would have for the Pilot Sports they replaced. The shop owner (who preps many Porsche racers) told me that they would be light years better than Pilot Sports... and they were.

http://www.toyo.com/motorsports/scca/

and a small review:

http://cars.ign.com/articles/604/604159p1.html

The Mini boards seem to have adopted the T1-S and T1-R as the tire of choice when moving off of runflats. Those guys seem mildly interested in handling...

Quick Reply: Sport 545 Tire Replacement