E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spinning so dangerously in the wet with DSC on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

I am new to rear wheel drive but managed to spin a 525d during a test drive in the wet (full throttle on a roundabout in 2nd gear - a bit wet, salesman terrified but I controlled I it OK). That was 4 months ago and I was driving in the wet today for the first time in my new 530 D with 271hp and 590Nm (ECU re-map).

I found it very easy to lose the back end when turning out of a bend and flooring it even when all the DTC DSC settings are on. Is it the RFT Bridgestones?, a problem with DSC / DTC?, or am I expecting too much bearing in mind the amount of torque I am putting down.

I quite enjoy it but get a bit embarresed if any cars or pedestrians see me

Or is it just something to do with rear wheel drive I am not used too
Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='317363' date='Jul 31 2006, 09:15 PM
I am new to rear wheel drive but managed to spin a 525d during a test drive in the wet (full throttle on a roundabout in 2nd gear - a bit wet, salesman terrified but I controlled I it OK). That was 4 months ago and I was driving in the wet today for the first time in my new 530 D with 271hp and 590Nm (ECU re-map).

I found it very easy to lose the back end when turning out of a bend and flooring it even when all the DTC DSC settings are on. Is it the RFT Bridgestones?, a problem with DSC / DTC?, or am I expecting too much bearing in mind the amount of torque I am putting down.

Yes, its fun isn't it

DSC/DTC are working

If you experiment a bit more, you will find out with the traction control systems switched on, you only have limited ability to spin before the electronics take over. Fun whilst being safe

Find a safe place to experiment and you will soon realise that the electronic systems are always working in the background.

If you are new to rear wheel drive, try a 1 day rally driving course. You will very quickly come to realise why people choose BMWs over other marques - the enjoyment of driving
Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

DSC on the BMW will allow some wheel spin. It won't take as much control over the car as would a MB. It's the nature of the car. You'll get feedback and have a good idea of what's going on while still keeping safe.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Try turning the DSC off, and then see what happens. Diesel torque, wet road, and no DSC is quite scary.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='317399' date='Jul 31 2006, 10:05 PM
Try turning the DSC off, and then see what happens. Diesel torque, wet road, and no DSC is quite scary.
Might try that in a car park at 2am as long as there are no Citroen Saxo VTR's with 19 year old's driving
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='317374' date='Jul 31 2006, 10:27 PM
DSC on the BMW will allow some wheel spin. It won't take as much control over the car as would a MB. It's the nature of the car. You'll get feedback and have a good idea of what's going on while still keeping safe.
I managed to drift about half way into the opposite lane when "testing the limit" on a wet A road over here before the DSC corrected it, and quite abruptly I might add. Scared me shitless as I was testing what the DSC does exactly and was expecting it to be a total nanny and cut in much sooner. Wasn't even thinking about countersteering. Since then have acquired a lot more respect for the car and always feel bad about lifting off mid corner and other antics that would cause less well mannered and less balanced RWD cars to spin hedge ways.

I have a smooth, wide and empty 90 degree turn on the way to work where I still regularly switch DSC off, go to manual, select 2nd and boot it mid corner When I get it right that has me grinning for the rest of the journey to work.

--
Przemek
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='317399' date='Aug 1 2006, 12:05 AM
Yes you probably just sit there with no traction whatsoever (straight line) spinning the tires and watching the spedo climb to 200 I had some fun on a very wet road, using the handbrake for some very agressive 180 spins and then power on but the wet conditions made for no traction even if i feathered the throttle. Too much torque at the wheels. I managed even a 360 spin. But overall i prefere the dry conditions, i prefere to brake traction in dry then in the wet, in the dry there is so much more drama, and it's more of a challange and it's harder to control then in the wet.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Try a one days course with Ultimate Car Control ( www.ulitmatecarcontrol.com ). They will teach you about the dynamics of a vehicle and in particular how to maximise traction (and how to lose it ) by balancing the weight distribution, especially on roundabout. It is a good day and you get to push your car to the limit with DSC and DTC off through their circuit. It really gives you the opporuntiy to see what your car can do. I was absoslutely amazed and have even more respect for the E60

Be prepared wear out rubber and brake pads
Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

It's 2 thing - RWD and stupidly high levels of torque.

The back end on my 530d is snap happy and I only have 500nm.

I remember your post about the test drive spin and it does sound like you need to get to grips with the handling.

Personally I find RWD safer and more progressive than FWD, when the back end slides you just ease of the gas and apply a bit of opposite lock to correct.

I think you need to play about on a track with the electronics off to understand the cars handling - which should make you safer on the road.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

I was going to post a the same thing i also span today in the rain i went around a corner slowly then floored it the back just span outa control what fun O and dtc was completly off