E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spending to much time in TOW TRUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent $65,000 on a new 545ia because I was concerned my '97 528i BMW with 285,000 miles might start giving me problems. Didn't want to break down on the road with it. Ha, turns out the "97 528i gives me less headaches than my new 545i. Never thought I would admit it, but I am really getting concerned about the dependability of these over enginered cars. I was driving on the NY Thruway this AM when that damn chime went off signaling another problem.This time I looked down at the screen and it showed ENGINE FAULT... REDUCED POWER, and the car immediatly started losing power and dropped down from 60 to 10 mph, bucking like crazy. It was raining and I was in no mood for this again. Luckily I was near an exit and was able to limp into a fast food parking lot and shut it down Tried to start up after 10 minutes in the hope it would re-boot and be OK. No luck. This time it showed INCREASED EMISSIONS Tried again and it would not even start up. Hit the button for BMW assist to get a tow truck. He took it to a BMW dealer near the Thruway and I was lucky enough at least to get the last loaner left, a 325i.
Third time now in 7 months and 15,000 miles to end up on a tow truck. This car is really getting a lot of laughs at my expense in the office when I keep showing up late, and let me tell you IT"S NO FUN. First time, after I owned it for only ONE DAY, I had to call BMW assist to tow it from my office in NJ back to my dealer in CT. Really impressed everyone at work with my new car up on the tow truck in the parking lot that day . That tow truck ride was for the infamous DME recall. They had the car for over a week. Then a few weeks ago the damn chime went off again. This time it showed BRAKE SIGNAL FAULT and went bucking and limping to a stop again on another rainy day along the side of the road on the Garden State Parkway. Pressed the button for BMW assist and got the tow truck. I also keep getting the damn chime for ACTIVE STEERING FAULT, and the steering wheel makes all kinds of weird sounds, but at least the car keeps running. I usually get rid of that by coming to a stop, and starting and stopping the engine a few times till it goes away. I love the 545i, it has great handling, power and looks but after owning BMWs for 16 years I am beginning to feel the computers are trully the masters of these cars, and we have all experienced how our computers keep crashing and letting us down. PLEASE BMW, don't let this happen to these great driving automobiles. Even we enthusiast can take only so much. I USED TO REALLY LOVE THESE BMWs!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I feel the same. Mine was towed on Thanksgiving day on the way to a dinner invitation with an SMG failure. My dad's 525i needed a new engine with ~ 1500 miles on it. I love the E60, no question. But I have reached a point where I am not even comfortable taking it on a long trip anymore. I am simply scared it will let me down again. Not the right feeling to have about your car, I guess.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

AH man I'm sorry. I agree I really dont like the computers handling and ruling over the whole car now. :'(
Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Now: 325i (E90) with auto-airco, PDC, buss-nav, Xenon..... Earlier cars: 520i (E60), 523i (E39), 520i (E34), mini-1000 (all cars: man. gearbox!)

Hi,

I know the feeling. Mine is also towed away, 2 weeks ago. I've sold my E60, this was the limit for me. I've said to the dealer: (in dutch) 'I won't see the car anymore' and now i waiting for my new car and drive a loaner (316i touring) And that car drives better as my 520i E60, no rattling, better engine response, working 'rain-sensor' and so on.....
And the new car is not a E60. I've driven more E60's, while mine was 'in repair (4 times!!), but they had the same problems. The E60 is not a BMW! It needs an extra year of development.
Because the BMW's i drove before this E60 were ok, so i try my luck with an E90.

Greetings from Holland
Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Members

Hi drjochen & RoBMW in the Netherlands So far my breakdowns on the road happened during the day, so I was able to get a loaner car when towed in. When it happens after 6PM what then, if your 30/60 miles from home what do you do then?My wife drives the car on alternate days with me to hold down my milage. She is now concerned about driving the car and getting stuck somewhere in a dangerous situation. Having trouble with a car and being able to drive it back and forth to BMW is bad enough. Breaking down on the road is unforgivable. One more time and I might join RoBMW in selling the car or going after BMW to return it.My wife and I really loved this car and are both really upset to say the least. Guess we should always have a change of clothes and toilet gear in the trunk for any future breakdowns. Never thought it would come to this. Waiting to hear from the BMW service dept as to what caused the shutdown this time and what assurance they can give me I won't break down again.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Members

Pretty disturbing. Mine is 05 545 with exact options as yours buid in oct 04 and has latest software. No issues so far.

What is upsetting - the car would shut down when emmisions r brake light fault shows up? really?

previous generations e46 and e39 would just give the fault and not shut down. I can drive my M3 with SES light on for ever (emissions) I'll keep getting the message on the display re brake light but it won't affect the drivability.
Is it different in e60?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ilyam5' date='Mar 9 2005, 10:12 AM
Pretty disturbing. Mine is 05 545 with exact options as yours buid in oct 04 and has latest software. No issues so far.

What is upsetting - the car would shut down when emmisions r brake light fault shows up? really?

previous generations e46 and e39 would just give the fault and not shut down. I can drive my M3 with SES light on for ever (emissions) I'll keep getting the message on the display re brake light but it won't affect the drivability.
Is it different in e60?
[snapback]99115[/snapback]
Don't know if it is only my car or all E60s. Even BMW could not figure out the Brake signal fault warning. Memory showed a glitch might have occured in traction control area, they said that would account for shut down on a safety basis. New softwear at that time seamed to clear that particular situation up. My 528i '97 like yours ,would run along even with the emmissions light on steady. The E60 just chugs to a stop. Go figure.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

damm, thats not nice!

We have been driving 40.000 KM in our E60 530dA and the only problems we have had, are small things.

The car is the best we ever have owned, for long distance driving <700 km