E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speeding Ticket code 22349 in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should probably belong in Lounge section but thought will have more visibility here.

Well, got cited for 80 in a 65 limit on the way home. LEO asked "Why are you in such a hurry?" My answer was "Got to get the kids to karate school, but that's no excuse."

I've heard somewhere there are services online you can get ticket dismissed for a few humdre dollars. Truth or myth?

It's humbling when you one of these, but the goal is to maintain zero point on driver lic for obvious reasons.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Sorry to hear about that Michael.

I have heard of Mr. ticket, but unaware if anyone around me used it before. Looks like the fine is $214 for your citation. http://www.4mrticket...ing-ticket.html

You could go to court to appeal it. If you end up having to pay for the ticket, you can then attend 'traffic school' to eliminate the point.

I will ask my colleagues if they have used Mr. ticket or any other comparable programs tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If you have a clean driving record (no violations in the last 3 years) you should be able to get the points dropped by going to court and speaking with the judge. Just talk to the court clerk when you call in for your court date - they should be able to give you a good idea how this can pan out. If you are lucky the judge may also reduce the fine - but in today's economy I doubt that will happen.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Not sure if I can help with getting out of the ticket, but maybe some tips if it ever arises again...

Fyi: Not lawyer, not legal advice, etc, etc. Passing along what I've been taught by others.

LEO asked "Why are you in such a hurry?" My answer was "Got to get the kids to karate school, but that's no excuse."

That was your mistake right there. Never admit guilt on the spot! That can be decided in a courtroom if need be. It can be a bit tougher now to fight the ticket because if you do show up to the court hearing and plead not-guilty, the officer will take out his notebook and say "Mr. G530 said ..blah blah blah.., acknowledging he was knowingly going 15mph over the posted speed limit". That probably won't help you too much.

Obviously though, don't lie to the officer. If you were obviously going 80, and he paced/rader/lasered you at 80, and you insist you're going 65.. some cops won't be too trilled with you and/or get annoyed.
Don't play down the truth either. If you're asked how fast you're going and you say "um... 68?" (you were actually going 75) when the speed limit is 65.. 68 is still > 65, and you just admitted to being guilty of speeding.

I've been pulled over only once... I'm still kicking myself over it. It was around 11 PM on the NJ turnpike, very few cars around, so everyone was going pretty fast. (75-80.. some 90+). For the record.. speed limit in that section was a measly 55mph. I was keeping up with traffic. However, in that traffic was a cop, which I noticed. I slowed down a bit to 75ish.. which ended up with me near the back of the pack. Of course, the cop circles around, freaking bright lights go on, etc. Convo went kinda like this:
  • Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?
  • Me: I'm not sure, sir.. why?
  • Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
  • Me: I wasn't paying too much attention to the speedometer - it's dark outside and I was paying more attention to the road. I was keeping up with traffic.
  • Cop: Well, I paced you at 75. Do you know what the speed limit here is?
  • Me: I see, ok. I believe it's 65.
  • Cop: It's actually 55. So that's 20 miles over the speed limit I got you at.
  • (minor note... NJ turnpike is funky, and some areas are 65, some are 55. To my recollection, the last sign I had seen was one saying 65. Further up ahead was one that said 55, so the officer was correct in this note)
He went back, checked my license/registration/etc. At one point he also asked if I had any points, I said no (I didn't - never been pulled over or anything before). Also, before he went back with my papers, he also casually said I could roll up the windows (I had both front windows down at the time). I have a suspicion this was to check for tints. I didn't have any, and I was mildly chilly out, so I did. If you do have tints.. think for a bit first. It's a gamble. Cops often look for scape-goat tickets. Stuff like tints, over-sized license plate covers, loud exhausts. Minor things that won't impact your insurance/give points/etc, and are usually a < $100 fine you just pay online.

Anyways - cop comes back, gives me a 1 min thing about how I should be watching what my speedometer says, and that since I have a clear license and history, he'll be letting me off with a ticket for "Disrupting Traffic". Which ironically... usually means you're going too slow or holding people back.

but again, moral of the story: Don't admit guilt! Notice how some of the cop's questions are worded.. Makes it very easy for a nervous person to admit to breaking the law. Also, be respectful, don't argue. You don't have to agree or say everything he/she said is correct, just acknowledge you understood what was said.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Members

YMMV but I had one ticket dropped using sample formats from this site and I never even took time off to go to the court.

http://www.ticketassassin.com/

Make sure read though the site throughly and see which case fits you better. Like I said, I got one ticket dropped and the other one didn't (3 years interval). 50/50 change if you ask me but chances are not hight even if you show up in court.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Go into court and say you had a speedometer malfunction and you will be good. Check out Pre-paid legal also for future instances. I wrote a long response but the page refreshed and every ting disappeared. If you ave any questions just let me know. And to cavy on to the previous response: never admit guilt. The best thing to say is "No I didn't know. The last I looked I was going XXmph". Its aways the best response. Its not admitting nor denying guilt.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Members

Traffic school is not an option?

I had a rough time last year and got 2 tickets within the span of a month...before I even owned a BMW.

I took traffic school for both and got both dismissed. I'm not sure how it happened, since there is supposed to be that wait period, but it was allowed.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Request traffic school. You can do it on line. You will get a notice in the mail that will let you do that. You will still have to pay the fine, but no points will be entered against you.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

Hey guys,

Thank you for all the tips. I wanted to individually response to everyone but my IE browser on my desktop somehow won't allow that (it goes into reply immediately when I clicked on the first multiquote).

Yes, record is clean. I've had to carry 1 point for 3 year period and paid the price in insurance premium during that time. Lic's clean no points in the last 15 years as traffic school was last line of defense.

Right now, I'd prefer to magically make ticket disappeared as I've heard someone actually pulled it off. That way i can have traffic school in my back pocket IF I have another run of bad luck. To be honest, it's an achievement to have gone this long without a moving violation since I've had the beast over the last 2.5 years. At any given day, one is over the speed limit with all this power on tap.

What happened that caught CHP's eye was gaining speed during freeway on ramp with no clear entry lane. Punched it more to pass 2 last cars ahead to safely merge onto the freeway. At the peak, I glanced at speedo and top speed was close to 90. So to play the part of not knowing how fast one was going is really a cop out. Hey, I played and I got caught. I admited. Now, it's damage control and preventive mode. But I will take all your advice for the next time.

The one break i had was cited 80 in a 65. I think fines are in lower bracket and better chance of traffic school given by than judge 20 mph over the limit.

Going to court and playing Russian roulette with LEO show or no show yields very low odds b/c CHP guys dishes tickets all day long and you can bet they'll show b/c most violators will try their luck. That's why I am looking for better options.

Thanks again and please don't pass judgement. Nobody knows you better than you know yourself.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 550I Alpine White Black Leather CPO

Hi,
Guys I am a Independent Business Associate for Legal Shield Reason I'm posting this is to save you time and money with Insurance and other issues - We give you access to Attorneys across the U.S in every state and they will go to court for you if your ticket is beat able or at least drop the fine so no points go on your record - As in my case was coming from Vegas and got a ticket 89 mph and contact law firm in Ca and the attorney handled it and got the fine reduced and paid 76.00 fine and no points on on driving record all handled by mail no court appearance .membership cost for Legal shield 36$ a month well worth the investment in covers many other issues and you have access to the Attorneys 24/7 also
Motor Vehicle Services
Available 15 days after enrollment
Available only if member has a valid driver's license and is driving a properly licensed personal motor vehicle
Moving traffic violations
Accidents: Help with defense for charges of manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide, or vehicular homicide
Damage recovery, driver's license issues and personal legal Injury assistance

here is my contact info if you have questions - James buckle- jb@jamesbuckle.com -949.246.7996-www.jamesbuckle.com

Not trying to advertise just trying to save you money and time

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket code 22349 in CA