E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

speed-dependent volume

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I think the "does it go up and *down*" thing is a little misleading Raymond..... it goes up as you speed increases from standstill, and returns to that original volume as you slow again. I'm sure you imagined it did that (or else the volume would just get louder and louder and louder every time you accelerated :-) ) - so I'm guessing you think that the volume "going down" functionality would work in some other way?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, hhyg !
Old 03-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 28 2005, 03:06 AM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:38 PM']I hate the speed-volume.

I wish you could turn it off, but alas....? all you can do it turn it to a minimum setting, but it is still very noticable.
[snapback]95054[/snapback]
Mine is as good as off in the lowest setting. I don't like either.
[snapback]95174[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do not like it and also have it at lowest setting. It should be noise-Sensitive not speed-Sensitive like other companies do. It is a lot easear(cheaper) to have volume connected to the speed then use a microphone to measure a noise level and adjust a volume. Another half automated solution by BMW.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I don't like this feature either.
I find it redundant especially when I've got the windows and sunroof closed, the engine isn't loud in that it begins to interfere with the radio or CD.

Besides, why is this "speed" dependent? That seems illogical.
At 80mph, in 6th gear, the car is definitely going fast but isn't any louder at say 30mph in 3rd gear. The engine speed (RPM) is the same.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Mar 2 2005, 09:47 AM
I don't like this feature either.
I find it redundant especially when I've got the windows and sunroof closed, the engine isn't loud in that it begins to interfere with the radio or CD.

Besides, why is this "speed" dependent?? That seems illogical.
At 80mph, in 6th gear, the car is definitely going fast but isn't any louder at say 30mph in 3rd gear.? The engine speed (RPM) is the same.
[snapback]96012[/snapback]
Yeah, but the noise from outside (wind) is augmenting with higher speed. <_<
Old 03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by igor' date='Mar 2 2005, 11:14 AM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Mar 2 2005, 09:47 AM']I don't like this feature either.

At 80mph, in 6th gear, the car is definitely going fast but isn't any louder at say 30mph in 3rd gear.? The engine speed (RPM) is the same.
[snapback]96086[/snapback]
[/quote]Having the windows up or down is not what this system is based on. As in my first post I describe a scenario with all windows closed.
Ultimately, we're talking about interior (cockpit) noise levels, right?
Hence, having such a feature dependent on "speed" is redundant.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Now if you have those noisy run-flats....

kidding! I'm just kidding!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Mar 2 2005, 12:43 PM
[quote name='igor' date='Mar 2 2005, 11:14 AM'][quote name='Centurion' date='Mar 2 2005, 09:47 AM']I don't like this feature either.

[snapback]96086[/snapback]
[/quote]Having the windows up or down is not what this system is based on. As in my first post I describe a scenario with all windows closed.
Ultimately, we're talking about interior (cockpit) noise levels, right?
Hence, having such a feature dependent on "speed" is redundant.
[snapback]96100[/snapback]
[/quote]

When you drive(sitting inside the car) faster you hear the increase of the noise level?
Or am I missing something?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by igor' date='Mar 2 2005, 01:46 PM
When you drive(sitting inside the car) faster you hear the increase of the noise level?
[snapback]96135[/snapback]
In most cars, yes that is an issue, but frankly, the E60 is so well built and quiet that there is no real significant increase in cabin noise between doing 20 MPH or doing 80 MPH, depending on individual road surfaces of course. Some yes, but not a lot. I had this speed dependent volume option on the GMC Yukon I had before this car and it got very noisy at higher speeds, so the increased volumes at higher speeds was nice, saved you from always changing volume up and down. Many feel that due to the quietness of the E60 interior, it is unnecessary to have the volume increase w/ speed and that it can actually be annoying to have the volume move up with speed when the noise level has not really changed.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:07 PM
[quote name='igor' date='Mar 2 2005, 01:46 PM']When you drive(sitting inside the car) faster you hear the increase of the noise level?
[snapback]96135[/snapback]
In most cars, yes that is an issue, but frankly, the E60 is so well built and quiet that there is no real significant increase in cabin noise between doing 20 MPH or doing 80 MPH, depending on individual road surfaces of course. Some yes, but not a lot. I had this speed dependent volume option on the GMC Yukon I had before this car and it got very noisy at higher speeds, so the increased volumes at higher speeds was nice, saved you from always changing volume up and down. Many feel that due to the quietness of the E60 interior, it is unnecessary to have the volume increase w/ speed and that it can actually be annoying to have the volume move up with speed when the noise level has not really changed.
[snapback]96144[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree that noise isolation in the cabin of e60 is good but still I can hear the difference depending on the speed. But probably for others its neglectable.

Quick Reply: speed-dependent volume