E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

which speakers/what size

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys

i really thinking of upgrading the front speakers to gain better quality of music/sound from the original stock speakers:

QUESTIONS

A: what size will i need
Ai: for under the seats
Aii: for the doors
Aiii: for the tweeters on the near the wing mirrors

B: and whats the best brand to go, i'm aware that JL audio and DLS do a three way component but i dint no if the diameter or mounting depth is going to suit the e60.

C: will i have to change the stock amp (the one in the boot) or will it be ok to power the new components.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do search on here.

Only sub made that is a drop in for under the seats is Earthquake SWS subs. As I believe the depth of the woofer can't be more then 2 1/2 inches (might be 2 1/4).

Rest of it there is alot of options. These cars are kind of a pain to upgrade audio. My suggestion would be forget the subs under the seat. Upgrade the rest of the speakers and then drop a 10" or 12" sub in the rear. Be warned these cars are quite sound proof so if the sub isn't matched up with a solid amp to push it you may not get much sound into the cabin. Many people will just leave there pass through open (or cut it out if they don't have it) or others have drilled holes in the rear deck to allow the sound to travel into the cabin.

Might want to check with a few car audio places in your town and see what they suggest. Alot of new stuff pours into this market monthly and some of there install guys can do some crazy stuff you'd never think of in a million years.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

From what I've read, simply upgrading the speakers is not going to give you an audible increase in sound quality. You should plan the upgrade of your system based upon what sort of music you listen, how you listen to your music (accuracy or SPL) and how much money you would like to spend. I think changing the speakers (all speakers) and adding an amplifier is a must if you want to improve sound, but how much you improve the sound depends on your desires and how much $$$$ you are willing to spend.