5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Spark plugs after 30K (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/spark-plugs-after-30k-143237/)

kskane 10-19-2015 02:55 AM

Spark plugs after 30K

1 Attachment(s)
I pulled out my spark plugs after 30K's, does it really looks this bad after only 30K KM's?

KyleB 10-19-2015 03:08 AM

They're not terrible, look a wee bit oil fouled to me. Have you ever replaced your CCV valve and pipes? Do all of the plugs look like that? If your valve cover gasket was worn oil can seep down around and through the spark plug grommets and foul out the plugs. If your car seems to be running strong and youre not getting misfiring or abnormal oil consumption i wouldnt worry about it. how many miles on the car?

kskane 10-19-2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by KyleB (Post 1570001)
They're not terrible, look a wee bit oil fouled to me. Have you ever replaced your CCV valve and pipes? Do all of the plugs look like that? If your valve cover gasket was worn oil can seep down around and through the spark plug grommets and foul out the plugs. If your car seems to be running strong and youre not getting misfiring or abnormal oil consumption i wouldnt worry about it. how many miles on the car?

Mileage on car 233K KM's. All look the same, and I pulled them cause I was doing my VCG. Car runs smooth, but have had random 3-4 times shaky experience at the red light. I have changed the plugs anyway and kept these for backup. Should I check something else?

Kaane 10-19-2015 06:54 PM

I would do a leakdown or compression test. You are fouling the plugs with oil. So you either have blow by through the rings or valves.

kskane 10-19-2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kaane (Post 1570038)
I would do a leakdown or compression test. You are fouling the plugs with oil. So you either have blow by through the rings or valves.

Valve cover was leaking for sure and the car was either leaking or drinking 1L oil a week. If the VCG is fixed what do you mean by the rings?

KyleB 10-20-2015 03:17 AM

He means the rings on the pistons (oil scraper and two compression rings). Unless you have a ton of mileage I doubt its that, and by a ton I mean 300K+. BMW bottom ends are incredibly stout, always have been.

Keep tabs on your oil loss/consumption. There are other places M5X engines are known for leaking from.

Kaane 10-20-2015 07:04 AM

I'd still do a leakdown test. 1L of oil a week is a lot of oil. Could have worn valve guides or seals. Check your entire pcv system as well.

KyleB 10-20-2015 07:14 AM

yep, I'm thinking PCV system as well. Also check oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket. When the oil filter housing gasket goes oil loss goes through the roof. Agree 1L a week is a huge amount.

kskane 10-20-2015 11:33 PM

But will that impact on the spark plugs? Is there a DIY for this PCV?

KyleB 10-21-2015 03:00 AM

yea, google "M54 CCV" and you'll find tons of info on it. get your parts from pelican, it's a fairly cheap fix and common failure point on M5X engines. check your oil filter housing gasket too. that gasket fails a lot, pukes oil, and costs about $5.