5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Spark Plug & Transmission Leak (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/spark-plug-transmission-leak-123968/)

louisrai 06-06-2012 12:28 PM

Two stories:

First, I'm looking for spark plugs for a 08 535i. Kragen doesn't have spark plug for 08 5 series. It does have Bosch Platinum +4, but it only shows up on 2005 5 series and older. In their system, no spark plug shows for 08. There are some Bosch on Ebay, but it doesn't show if they support 08 5 series. I find that most of the Bosch on Ebay are for older cars. I remember someone in forum talked about Bosch Platinum +4. But I think Platinum +4 is a big product line. I was at the Stealership today, trying to ask for the correct parts, it leads to the second story:

I sent my car to Sonnen BMW in San Rafael yesterday to do the recall. They said they found transmission fluid leak. After I told them that I replaced the oil filter housing gasket myself, that "technical advisor" started to act impatient. After he showed me the transmission leak, I asked about the part number of the part causing the leak, he let me wait, because "he needs to take care of customer". (not another customer, A customer...so if I don't pay you to replace a gasket, I am no longer a customer to you?) Anyway, they said that there is a "sleeve", with an o-ring on it, causing the transmission leak. I think I will try to find the part number, then get that "sleeve". It is just another DIY attempt. No interest letting them earn one more of my hard-earning penny. Since I can't get correct information from the stealership, I shall just ask people here. You guys are always nice and kind. :)

BTW, that "technical advisor" called my Interstate battery a crap. Dude, it comes with a ten-year warranty!

louisrai 06-06-2012 05:28 PM

Okay, I got that spark plug, it is Bosch ZGR6STE2.

DanL 06-06-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by louisrai (Post 1448218)
Two stories:

First, I'm looking for spark plugs for a 08 535i. Kragen doesn't have spark plug for 08 5 series. It does have Bosch Platinum +4, but it only shows up on 2005 5 series and older. In their system, no spark plug shows for 08. There are some Bosch on Ebay, but it doesn't show if they support 08 5 series. I find that most of the Bosch on Ebay are for older cars. I remember someone in forum talked about Bosch Platinum +4. But I think Platinum +4 is a big product line. I was at the Stealership today, trying to ask for the correct parts, it leads to the second story:

I sent my car to Sonnen BMW in San Rafael yesterday to do the recall. They said they found transmission fluid leak. After I told them that I replaced the oil filter housing gasket myself, that "technical advisor" started to act impatient. After he showed me the transmission leak, I asked about the part number of the part causing the leak, he let me wait, because "he needs to take care of customer". (not another customer, A customer...so if I don't pay you to replace a gasket, I am no longer a customer to you?) Anyway, they said that there is a "sleeve", with an o-ring on it, causing the transmission leak. I think I will try to find the part number, then get that "sleeve". It is just another DIY attempt. No interest letting them earn one more of my hard-earning penny. Since I can't get correct information from the stealership, I shall just ask people here. You guys are always nice and kind. :)

BTW, that "technical advisor" called my Interstate battery a crap. Dude, it comes with a ten-year warranty!

Most likely it's the mechatronic sleeve leaking (a very common problem). Unfortunately, you'll need to replace the pan assembly along with the sleeve so you're probably looking at $400-500 in parts for the sleeve, pan assembly, screws, and fluid. Sucks considering the sleeve itself is only like $20.

healthservices 06-06-2012 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by louisrai (Post 1448309)

https://5series.net/forums/public/st...t/confused.gif

Whats wrong with going to Kragen with this number?

Attachment 133855

seanjordan 06-06-2012 06:09 PM

Bosch is a good brand which is oem but that is the highest I have seen them. I use the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug. They are also oem and are $10. If you want the Boschs go to advance auto and they have them for $14.

louisrai 06-06-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 1448317)
https://5series.net/forums/public/st...t/confused.gif

Whats wrong with going to Kragen with this number?

Attachment 133855

At store, by only car year, Kragen staff wasn't able to find this spark plug.....it is the same on Kragen's website...they have a terrible inventory database.

imagine 06-06-2012 07:52 PM

Sonnen BMW is a crock of a dealership. I went to take a look at a car there and they tried to sell me a CPO car that been in an accident! lmao

RTR 06-06-2012 08:06 PM

Unfortunately cars that were in an accident can Still be CPOed (I guess as long as it's not a major accident)...

pukka 06-07-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by louisrai (Post 1448309)

There are many websites where you can purchase OEM maintenance parts.

I use this one: www.autohausaz.com

Persian_535i 06-07-2012 07:46 AM

Is there a DIY for the 535I? Have had my plugs sitting in the garage for a few months, think i'm gonna finally tackle it this weekend.