E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SOS Phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Black Metalic, Sport Package, L7 sound, Steptronic, Cold Weather, Ski Package, Sport Seats
Unhappy

It seems that the internal phone "BMW Service, SOS" has quit working on my 545. I just noticed yesterday that the signal strength meter is gone from the i-drive display. I tried the service button and it came back with a "No Network Available" message. This is odd since it has always worked near my residence before. I noticed on a trip last weekend to Mississippi that the meter was changing signal strength quite a bit but now it appears that the whole system is down. Has anyone experienced this problem? Thoughts? Otherwise the car is great, it may give me an excuse to take it to the dealer and get the latest software update but I'm leary of how long it may take them to fix the problem.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Could be your TCU has failed since you do not indicate you had recent upgrade. You do not include any specifics on your configuration (put those in signature as it helps in providing answers) but could you have had ur car long enough to have BMW Assist expire? Although I do not believe the signal strength display is an indicator of this symptom.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by Epochii' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:22 AM
It seems that the internal phone "BMW Service, SOS" has quit working on my 545.? I just noticed yesterday that the signal strength meter is gone from the i-drive display.? I tried the service button and it came back with a "No Network Available" message.? This is odd since it has always worked near my residence before.? I noticed on a trip last weekend to Mississippi that the meter was changing signal strength quite a bit but now it appears that the whole system is down.? Has anyone experienced this problem? Thoughts?? Otherwise the car is great, it may give me an excuse to take it to the dealer and get the latest software update but I'm leary of how long it may take them to fix the problem.

[snapback]140388[/snapback]
Yes, mine is in the Hospital as we speak for the same problem. About 2 months ago, I had to have the CCC replaced, since my I-Drive stopped working. I didn't notice the loss of the BMW Assist, because I also have a Bluetooth phone which normally is connected to the system. The signal strength indicator would show the strength of the phone signal. One day a couple of weeks ago, I forgot my phone, and then I noticed the lack of the signal strength indicator. I tried the BMW Assist and got the same message. The SA told me yesterday they thought that it was a software issue, but even after upgrading the software, they still could not get the BMW Assist to work. They suspect that the problem is a defective BMW Assist/Bluetooth module, and are going to replace the module. My car is also in for a paint issue, which BMW has agreed to repair.

Joe
Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

When I had trouble with BMW Assist SOS Malfunction came up on the display.The dealer had problems correcting it and it became a PUMA Case.After putting in 4 new TCU Units the problem was solved and I haven't had any trouble since.
cheers
vern
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg

Originally Posted by joepoole' post='140416' date='Jun 17 2005, 12:15 PM
Yes, mine is in the Hospital as we speak for the same problem. About 2 months ago, I had to have the CCC replaced, since my I-Drive stopped working. I didn't notice the loss of the BMW Assist, because I also have a Bluetooth phone which normally is connected to the system. The signal strength indicator would show the strength of the phone signal. One day a couple of weeks ago, I forgot my phone, and then I noticed the lack of the signal strength indicator. I tried the BMW Assist and got the same message. The SA told me yesterday they thought that it was a software issue, but even after upgrading the software, they still could not get the BMW Assist to work. They suspect that the problem is a defective BMW Assist/Bluetooth module, and are going to replace the module. My car is also in for a paint issue, which BMW has agreed to repair.

Joe
Well it happened again, for the second time within approximately a year, and the same part the TCM (Aka Bluetooth/BMW assist module) was finally replaced, after the car was at the dealer for 5 days. BMW made the Dealer go through several software uploads before finally agreeing that the module was bad and authorizing replacement.

Joe
Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by joepoole' post='320149' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:52 AM
Well it happened again, for the second time within approximately a year, and the same part the TCM (Aka Bluetooth/BMW assist module) was finally replaced, after the car was at the dealer for 5 days. BMW made the Dealer go through several software uploads before finally agreeing that the module was bad and authorizing replacement.

Joe
I had 5 yes 5 TCU UNITS put in before they got it right At one point my car was at the dealer for 5 days because it had to go into a sleep mode before they could recheck it.Because of all the trouble I had BMW Assist gave me another 6 months free. Being that I had so much trouble with the TCU UNITS I check the SOS often,just ask them for a location when they come on the line Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Steptronic, Titanium Gray Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats.

I had my new 2007 for 3 weeks and SOS, BMW Assist and Bluetooth all failed. I knew the TCU was defective. The dealership had the car for a week and was going back and forth with BMW in NJ and Germany. Germany even thought the problem may be my phone and had the SA test the car with my cellphone (Motorola V3). BMW NA did not think the unit needed to be replaced, that it just needed to be reprogrammed, etc. Finally the dealership called me and told me my car was ready to pick up. I get to the dealership and the SA goes to pull the car around and the TCU fails again. After discussions with the service manager, they got approval to replace the TCU. It turns out that BMW NA must approve the replacement of the TCU or they will not reimburse the cost of the replacement unit. This is why the SA had to jump thru so many hoops to get my car fixed.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Members

Also, the dealer upgraded the software to v 22.02? Now if the phone (V3) is not paired, no signal strength for BMW assist appears. The technician told me that this may be as a result of the new software. Does anyone else have this problem?

Joe
Old 08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Steptronic, Titanium Gray Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats.

I don't think that is right. The signal strength for BMW Assist should always display. My car was upgraded to V22.02 and even if my phone is not paired I get the signal strength display.

John
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There are several bulletins relating to TCU issues:

here are excerpts from a few of them:

SI B84 14 06
Phone, Navigation Systems August 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 14 06 dated July 2006.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS AND PRIOR TO RETAIL DELIVERY.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Service Action: Reactivation of Telematics Control Unit (TCU)

MODEL
E46 (3 Series)

E53 (X5)

E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E83 (X3)

E85, E86 (Z4)

E90, E91 (3 Series)

SITUATION
Certain vehicles have had the TCU Mobile Identification Number (MIN) and Mobile Device Number (MDN) inadvertently deactivated. This may cause the manual and automatic emergency call and roadside call (BMW Assisttrade, not to function. This Service Action reactivates the TCU by assigning a new MIN and MDN to the TCU.

----------

SI B 84 10 06
Phone, Navigation Systems April 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
BMW Assist? or Bluetooth? Inoperative, TCU FC# A373

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) from 3/04 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) from 3/04 production

E65, E66 (7 Series) from 3/05 production

E90, E91 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

SITUATION

An approved Bluetooth? enabled handset does not connect/bond to the vehicle.

BMW Assist? is inoperative.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) has fault code A373 (Memory Error) stored in fault memory.

CAUSE
Hardware error.

PROCEDURE
In case of a customer complaint an approved Bluetoothreg; enabled handset does not connect/bond to the vehicle.

Attempt to pair an approved Bluetooth enabled handset as outlined in SI B84 13 04 (BMW Assist? with Integrated Bluetooth?).

Perform a short test using the DIS or GT-1.

If the TCU has fault code # A373 (Memory Error) stored in fault memory the TCU is defective and the TCU should be replaced. Refer to SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist? Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth? & CPT9000 Phone Systems) prior to replacing the TCU.

After replacing the TCU, refer to SI B84 15 03 (BMW Assist? Initialization) for the BMW Assist initialization procedure.

Refer to SI B01 10 05 (TCU ESN Registration via DCSnet) for new TCU registration information.

In case of a customer complaint that BMW Assist? is inoperative:

Check the BMW Assist? account status on DCSnet. The BMW Assist? services expiration date and the TCU activation status can be checked on DCSnet under Service/Vehicle History Inquiry. Refer to SI B02 01 06 (Updated DCSnet Vehicle History Inquiry information on BMW Assist?) for more information. If the BMW Assist? services contract has expired, the customer must renew their BMW Assist services. Do not proceed until these services are renewed.

Test the BMW Assist? service for proper operation by placing a test call (press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button). Make sure the BMW Assist Response Center received the following information:

Correct Mobile Identification Number (MIN) / Mobile Device Number (MDN)

Correct Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Location for the vehicle

Perform a short test using the DIS or GT-1.

If the TCU has fault code # A373 (Memory Error) stored in fault memory the TCU is defective and the TCU should be replaced. Refer to SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist? Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth? & CPT9000 Phone Systems) prior to replacing the TCU.

After replacing the TCU, refer to SI B84 15 03 (BMW Assist? Initialization) for the BMW Assist initialization procedure.

Refer to SI B01 10 05 (TCU ESN Registration via DCSnet) for new TCU registration information.

-------------

SI B 84 09 06
Phone, Navigation Systems April 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Bluetooth? Inoperative, TCU FC# A379 or 79

MODEL
E46 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

E53 (X5) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series) from 3/05 production

E83 (X3) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

E85 (Z4) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

E90, E91 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

---------------

SI B84 04 06
Phone, Navigation Systems March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 04 06 dated February 2006.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT

MODEL
E46 (3 Series)

E53 (X5)

E60 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E83 (X3)

E85 (Z4)

SITUATION
Certain vehicles have had the TCU Mobile Identification Number (MIN) and Mobile Device Number (MDN) inadvertently deactivated. This may cause the manual and automatic emergency call and roadside call (BMW Assisttrade, not to function. This Service Action reactivates the TCU by assigning a new MIN and MDN to the TCU.

Copies of the customer notification letter and Q&A are attached.

NOTE BY CD - THis is an earlier set of VINS affected than the more recent SIB listed first.

------------

And another series of deactivated TCUs

SI B84 01 05
Phone, Navigation Systems July 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 01 05 dated May 2005.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT

MODEL
E60 (5 Series)

E63/64 (6 Series)

Produced from 1/04 to 11/04

SITUATION
Certain vehicles have had the TCU mobile identification number (MIN) inadvertently deactivated. This may cause the manual and automatic emergency call and roadside call (BMW Assist?), not to function. This Service Action reactivates the TCU by assigning a new MIN to the TCU

A copy of the customer notification letter is attached.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Service Action involves 5 Series and 6 Series vehicles with BMW Assist? produced from January 2004 to November 2004.

--------------

Also there are so many TCU issues that I believe they are now required to submit PuMA case and getting permission prior to replaceing a TCU

Quick Reply: SOS Phone