E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SOS Call System Malfunction Redux

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Greetings fellow members:

Just this past week-end, I got the "SOS Call System Malfunction" for the second time, which went away after the usual 20 minutes of shutdown.

I have a dealer appointment, tomorrow, for a possible reprogram due to the harsh gear changes and when I told the actual tech who's going to do the job about the SOS message, he said that since I don't have BMW Assist he could just disable that portion when he reprograms and I shouldn't get that message again.

My questions are: I don't have NAV, but I have satellite radio. Is that going to disable my SAT radio?
Should I ask the tech to try and diagnose the system instead of just disabling it? Isn't that sort of masking a problem, if there is one?

If he performs the diagnostics and finds no codes, is it OK to have them disable the SOS part of the telematic unit?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='693629' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:44 AM
Greetings fellow members:

Just this past week-end, I got the "SOS Call System Malfunction" for the second time, which went away after the usual 20 minutes of shutdown.

I have a dealer appointment, tomorrow, for a possible reprogram due to the harsh gear changes and when I told the actual tech who's going to do the job about the SOS message, he said that since I don't have BMW Assist he could just disable that portion when he reprograms and I shouldn't get that message again.

My questions are: I don't have NAV, but I have satellite radio. Is that going to disable my SAT radio?
Should I ask the tech to try and diagnose the system instead of just disabling it? Isn't that sort of masking a problem, if there is one?

If he performs the diagnostics and finds no codes, is it OK to have them disable the SOS part of the telematic unit?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Please somebody, anybody? I've only got a few hours before going to the dealer. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the BMW Assist System is a valuable driving aid. It is unlikely, if you are still in the service period, that your BMW dealer will disable the function. On my other (older) BMWs once the free service was completed hitting the SOS button would return a voice telling me that "BMW Assist was not activated. Contact your service center!"

Programming updates will or should not defeat your Satellite Radio function.