E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sort phonebook contacts by first name?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sort phonebook contacts by first name?

Does anyone know if it is possible to sort contacts by first name in the phonebook?

When my contacts got imported from my iphone (which has contacts sorted by first name) they got sorted by last name on my 2010 528i with CIC naviation (11/9 production). They actually show up as "Last Name, First Name".

Interestingly, I recently had a 2013 328i loaner which sorted my contacts by first name.

I've searched through all the iDrive menus. I've also searched this site and Google. I found a couple reports of an option in e90s that would toggle between last/first name. Unfortunately, my e60 doesnt seem to have it. Do I need a software update?

CIC lists phone book by last name - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com
"Contacts" are shown last, first name - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Interesting - my e60 and now my F10 sorts the names exactly as I have them on my Android phone ... maybe your iPhone settings need some tweeking deep in a hidden menu??

Everytime I read about an iPhone issue it gives me another reason I'm glad BMW will soon offer more comprehensive integration with Android devices.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have a 11/2009 E60 CIC paired with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone. I can display the phone book by last name, first name or first name, last name.

In the CIC phone book view, press the Option button by the I-Drive controller, scroll to the phone book section, you should see:
Display: last name, first name
-- or --
Display: first name, last name
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
I have a 11/2009 E60 CIC paired with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone. I can display the phone book by last name, first name or first name, last name.

In the CIC phone book view, press the Option button by the I-Drive controller, scroll to the phone book section, you should see:
Display: last name, first name
-- or --
Display: first name, last name
I don't seem to have that option for some reason. Have you upgraded your iDrive software. Here are what my screens look like.

Name:  image_zps83a1cdbe.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  image_zps8d38c8f7.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528xi

I just bought a 2010 528xi this past weekend. Both my wife and I have Android phones, although running different levels of the Operating System. Her phone imported last name, first name, mine imported First Name Last Name. Go figure. I blame the OS, not the car.

PittCaleb
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Question

Originally Posted by PittCaleb
I just bought a 2010 528xi this past weekend. Both my wife and I have Android phones, although running different levels of the Operating System. Her phone imported last name, first name, mine imported First Name Last Name. Go figure. I blame the OS, not the car.
PittCaleb
Interesting - on my Bionic running ICS (IceCreamSandwich) my contacts are First Name Last Name (FN-LN). That's also how I've entered them in the contacts in the gmail account that my Droid synchs with. How are your separate Phone contacts set up? And isn't that the way the car also displays them?

I can't imagine the BMW iDrive / TCU / etc manipulating the phone data because in my case I've always used this naming convention (FN-LN) on my phones (it just works better for me personally) and I've had several BMW BT phones read that way for more than 10 years.
A real puzzle ??
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528xi

Let me add, my phone, running Jellybean (4.1) is perfect - first name last name and when you go into a contact, you can choose between different numbers. My wife's phone, IIRC, maybe 2.3.4, not only imported them last name, first name, but each phone number is a different contact, without attribution. i.e.
Jones, Stacy
Jones, Stacy
Jones, Stacy
You have no idea which number is home, work or cell. Whereas my phone imported as Stacy Jones and when you select her entry, you then choose which number with an icon showing its association.

Like I said, this must be determined by the version of BT export at the OS level.

PittCaleb
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Samsung Galaxy S3 runs Andriod 4.1.1. The CIC phone book is currently sorted by last name, first name. I can select this option to sort by first name, last name.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
My Samsung Galaxy S3 runs Andriod 4.1.1. The CIC phone book is currently sorted by last name, first name. I can select this option to sort by first name, last name.
I must have a different software version than you because I don't have that option. Did you have your software updated? What is the build date of your car? Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My vehicle's production date is 11/2009. The software has been updated at least twice, the most recent for a HUD replacement under warranty.

Quick Reply: Sort phonebook contacts by first name?