E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

sorry for being a dumbass again

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='263749' date='Apr 2 2006, 03:50 PM
Twice a year change is it THAT difficult? would we want cars that drive for us? Why does everyone want everythin to be automated? Yes its an easy implementation but its also an easy change... 1 min of your time... No wonder people are so dependent on driving aids.
I drive a BMW because I like to drive (note my manual transmissions). I didn't buy it because I like to change the time.

I'm lazy and that's a good thing since I can drive a lot of efficiency through automation and my job depends on it. GPS is based on atomic time. Why not have an accurate timepiece in your car that will auto correct for drift?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Why is it such a big deal that the hourly chime doesn't hit the mark to the second? The point of the chime is to give you advanced notice to change to a news broadcast, etc.

If anything, it shows a tremendous attention to detail because the chime software program is given a lower processing priority than other, more critical functions so once in a while, it's a fraction of a second off...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='263754' date='Apr 2 2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, if it were just 1 minute, twice a year I could tolerate it.

But it isn't... It's one minute of your time every bloody week if you want to keep the clock anywhere near accurate. What's the point of having an hourly time signal option when the beeps are NEVER at the top of the hour?

This really does show lack of attention to detail.

*shrugs* So you lose 52 minutes a year... 52/525,600 = I dunno what it is... 1E-6 its another annoyance... and do you really expect a GPS synced clock in a BMW to work? when they cant get some of the other simplier things to work? I can hear it already... why cant BMW just have left the clock manual. why did they make it sync to the atomic clock? Anyone hear those complaints comming?

Doesnt matter somthing is wrong with your clock... I dont seem to have a problem with my clock... works fine. I dont recall having to fix the time since I got it... In my MINI the clock becomes 1 minute slower after every few months but that one is just a one button push to adjust the minutes. I should be thankful its not off by 1 minute fast every few months huh? I just dont see the big fuss... I'll fuss over other things first before the clock... I guess one persons pet peeve is someone elses *something else*
Old 04-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='263755' date='Apr 2 2006, 12:59 PM
Why not have an accurate timepiece in your car that will auto correct for drift?
Dont need to sync it to the atomic clock to be accurate... They just need to use better timers than say a LM 555 IC chip maybe if they used Rolex time pieces the manual clocks will work fine.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:06 PM
JDN
Contributors

I thought it was programmed to be a bit premature (to the clock setting) to give you an opportunity to turn on the radio. Works great if you keep your clock synced. Mine seems to lose along the way so I set it a minute ahead every now and then and turn on the radio when I want to hear the news.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by djjeffyen' post='263743' date='Apr 2 2006, 03:19 PM
man i wish the idrive is touch screened!!!!

My father's Lexus LS430 has touch screen, it is always covered in fingerprints, not to mention it blocks you from doing alot while the car is in motion. He hates the system, he likes the Idrive much better.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='263801' date='Apr 2 2006, 06:53 PM
My father's Lexus LS430 has touch screen, it is always covered in fingerprints, not to mention it blocks you from doing alot while the car is in motion. He hates the system, he likes the Idrive much better.
Yep... same POS made by Denso that's in the Toyota's. There is a 'secret' over ride for the lockout while in motion but you have to key in the sequence each time. I'll take the Carin or Siemens systems in the BMW any day. Even if the Denso unit gets higher marks from JD Powers.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

I think BMW engineers thought the average intelligence of it's buyers was a bit higher than it is...I changed mine between the garage and the end of the driveway. It really is not worth griping about. Anyone who can operate a PC should be able to figure this stuff out, read the manual, or give up driving.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

It's only a clock, doesn't worth a two page thread to discuss about it IMO.

If you don't like the i-Drive, sell your bimmer coz I think this system will work its way into every bimmer from now on and I don't see a problem with that at all.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='263863' date='Apr 3 2006, 06:00 AM
It's only a clock, doesn't worth a two page thread to discuss about it IMO.

If you don't like the i-Drive, sell your bimmer coz I think this system will work its way into every bimmer from now on and I don't see a problem with that at all.
Here here what a whinging lot we are, God had fun when he made mankind he but the bug in that makes us want what we don't have and if we have it to want something else

Quick Reply: sorry for being a dumbass again