E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Somethings that I simply don't understand with the E60 design

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Why the circular tempurature control knob affects the temperature so little in manual mode (oh and how i hate the automatic climate software ... don't even get me started on that)? I end up basically controlling the temperature using mostly the red/blue bar gauge in the iDrive screen, which is annoying.

2) Why the car chimes annoyingly at me for not strapping on the seat belt when the car isn't even running? I swear sometimes I want to kiss the car but some things it does drives me crazy. BMW is spot on if they're trying to make bachelors feel like they have a wife though.

3) Okay this isn't about the design per se, but is it possible to get the M Sport body kit aftermarket?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car

I know the seatbelt is so annoying. As far as the temp., I live In Dallas so I'm always using the A/C so I never really switch back and forth.

I haven't seen an "Aftermarket" M Aero Kit, but it's not that expensive. If you shop around from dealer and say that you can get it for about 1300 - 1400 somewhere, most dealers will match that. I'm pretty sure that it costs them 1218. BMW of Newport offers a 25% discount of all MSRP products, for the most part.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by omi7' post='267537
2) Why the car chimes annoyingly at me for not strapping on the seat belt when the car isn't even running? I swear sometimes I want to kiss the car but some things it does drives me crazy. BMW is spot on if they're trying to make bachelors feel like they have a wife though.
This is strange. Mine will only chime if the person is not strapped in and the car has been moving for few tens of meters. I guess by "isn't even running" you mean the car is not moving but engine is on? I don't buckle up while waiting in the car park for my passengers and I never have the chime complaining.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by omi7' post='267537' date='Apr 11 2006, 07:01 AM
1) Why the circular tempurature control knob affects the temperature so little in manual mode (oh and how i hate the automatic climate software ... don't even get me started on that)? I end up basically controlling the temperature using mostly the red/blue bar gauge in the iDrive screen, which is annoying.

3) Okay this isn't about the design per se, but is it possible to get the M Sport body kit aftermarket?
1. Probably cause you a/c is knackered. I have the same problem at the moment and suspect it is a thermostat fault, which has afflicted two of the last three of my BMW's. Trip to the dealers due now as the weather is warming up.

2. Should only chime if the car is moving and a belt is not fastened (or there is a bag on the front seat)

3. Yes. In the UK you can get it from www.bmwmstyle.co.uk
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by omi7' post='267537

Originally Posted by omi7' post='267537' date='Apr 11 2006, 07:01 AM
Of course. Depends on your location and how you want to spend!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='267575' date='Apr 11 2006, 01:46 AM
1. Probably cause you a/c is knackered. I have the same problem at the moment and suspect it is a thermostat fault, which has afflicted two of the last three of my BMW's. Trip to the dealers due now as the weather is warming up.

2. Should only chime if the car is moving and a belt is not fastened (or there is a bag on the front seat)

3. Yes. In the UK you can get it from www.bmwmstyle.co.uk

1. I went to one dealer and they told me that the temperatures "were in an acceptable range", which is true, because if I go to 'Vent Settings' I can make it nice and cold or warm. I just wish that going to the iDrive screen wasn't necessary to adjust the temperature to my liking. They can keep the relative vent strength there since I don't adjust that much.

2. Here's a more detailed description: I get in the car, close the door, turn the key to position 1 and there will be no chime (some electrical systems come on). I turn the key to position 2 which is right before ignition, and that's when it chimes at me. Maybe they programmed it differently in the US and UK ... can someone else in the US comment on whether this is happening to them or not?

3. Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: Current car: 2006 530ia On Order for December ED: 2009 335i coupe

Originally Posted by omi7' post='267735' date='Apr 11 2006, 01:00 PM
1. I went to one dealer and they told me that the temperatures "were in an acceptable range", which is true, because if I go to 'Vent Settings' I can make it nice and cold or warm. I just wish that going to the iDrive screen wasn't necessary to adjust the temperature to my liking. They can keep the relative vent strength there since I don't adjust that much.

2. Here's a more detailed description: I get in the car, close the door, turn the key to position 1 and there will be no chime (some electrical systems come on). I turn the key to position 2 which is right before ignition, and that's when it chimes at me. Maybe they programmed it differently in the US and UK ... can someone else in the US comment on whether this is happening to them or not?

3. Thanks to everyone for their input!
Mine starts chiming at me when the engine starts. It does so even when the car is in park which is annoying. I think the worst part of the chime is it is pretty loud, and that tone just somehow gets under my skin, more so than any other car I have ever been inside in my life.

I also get annoyed that once you buckle the seatbelt, I often get one to two additional chimes. I'm trying to get in the habit of putting the seatbelt on before putting the key in the ignition. Of course sometimes I forget and that damn chime goes off and I want to scream.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by unit' post='267759' date='Apr 11 2006, 10:45 AM
I also get annoyed that once you buckle the seatbelt, I often get one to two additional chimes. I'm trying to get in the habit of putting the seatbelt on before putting the key in the ignition. Of course sometimes I forget and that damn chime goes off and I want to scream.
Ha! I'm doing the same thing... I'm tailoring my car entering/exiting behaviour JUST to avoid the damn sound. Like you said, buckling the seatbelt before starting the engine. Also, I used to open the door while taking the key out of ignition but now I have to make sure the key is completely out before opening the door. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and forget and hearing the sound sometimes really does make me want to scream at it.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

1. I have to spend time chaning the blue / red bars in the morning and afternoon too! In the mornings its cold enough that i want warm air blowing out of the vents and in the afternoon i want just cool air so i have to change the bars back to blue. Its a bit inconvient cuz somtimes i forget to change it and its not blowing the air temp I want.

I too would have liked the temp dials to just "work"