E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration, mostly in the seats. After multiple trips to the dealer, Road Force balancing, 2 new oe 18" rims, I lived with it thinking that it was the run flats. Well my wife ran the car on the freeway with a flat and blew the inner side out of a tire and ruined a rim..... I was excited because I was not only going to get rid of the run flats but for the cost of one a new oe rim and 2 new Bridgestone run flats I could go to 20's on new rims. My buddy is in the business and we ordered up a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires. I had them Road force blanced. The rims and tires came in well with in the limits..... My car still frickin vibrates and I want to scream. The suspension has been checked by the dealer on multiple times and all is good. The vibration comes and goes but what is weird is that it seems that after some small bumps or road imperfections it seems to get worse. Control arms, all bushings, shocks and wheel bearings check out fine. I have read through a search on "vibrations" and see that there are some cars out there with similar symptoms but have not read any cures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One positive note..... the 20's ride way better than the 18" run flats.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:38 AM
I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration, mostly in the seats. After multiple trips to the dealer, Road Force balancing, 2 new oe 18" rims, I lived with it thinking that it was the run flats. Well my wife ran the car on the freeway with a flat and blew the inner side out of a tire and ruined a rim..... I was excited because I was not only going to get rid of the run flats but for the cost of one a new oe rim and 2 new Bridgestone run flats I could go to 20's on new rims. My buddy is in the business and we ordered up a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires. I had them Road force blanced. The rims and tires came in well with in the limits..... My car still frickin vibrates and I want to scream. The suspension has been checked by the dealer on multiple times and all is good. The vibration comes and goes but what is weird is that it seems that after some small bumps or road imperfections it seems to get worse. Control arms, all bushings, shocks and wheel bearings check out fine. I have read through a search on "vibrations" and see that there are some cars out there with similar symptoms but have not read any cures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One positive note..... the 20's ride way better than the 18" run flats.
Do you have access to a set of 18" hub-centric wheels and tires? Previously you had 18" with run-flats, then went to the 20" Helo with hub-rings. Just a thought, trying to eliminate variant factors here.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:38 AM
... a set of Helo rims with the hub centric rings and Nitto tires.
You wrote your own answer;
hub centric wheels can be close to impossible to balance.
Never heard of Nitto tires neither.

This is why I always go with OEM wheels and quality tires.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Check up your tires! For example when balancing the wheels, look at the tire if there's any throw in it. I had 1-2mm throw on two tires once and they couldn't balance them out.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by DLRocket' post='695394' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:38 AM
I bought a CPO 2004 530i, prem and sport package over a year ago. From the get go the car had a vibration,..........
1) If so, did you test drive it?......and why buy an obviously problem car.?
2) Now that you are in the mess, does the car vibrate at all speeds.
3) If the answer to 2 is yes.....it's likely not the wheels at all.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributors

You're problem is probably the hub centric rings. I've spoken with a couple of tire dealers and they all say you'll never be able to balance out wheels with hubcentric rings. If you can balance it, the balance wont hold for very long either way.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='695669' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:39 PM
You're problem is probably the hub centric rings. I've spoken with a couple of tire dealers and they all say you'll never be able to balance out wheels with hubcentric rings. If you can balance it, the balance wont hold for very long either way.
My previous wheels were 74,1mm and I used hubcentric rings. I had some problems balancing them at first, but finally with a skilled mechanic, we got them balanced. No problems since. And we balanced the wheels with rings on. Make sure your rings are top quality and fitting tight. I recommend rings made by aluminium.
Good luck!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='695674' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:46 PM
My previous wheels were 74,1mm and I used hubcentric rings. I had some problems balancing them at first, but finally with a skilled mechanic, we got them balanced. No problems since. And we balanced the wheels with rings on. Make sure your rings are top quality and fitting tight. I recommend rings made by aluminium.
Good luck!
Consider yourself lucky you have such a skilled mechanic.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='695757' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:11 PM
Consider yourself lucky you have such a skilled mechanic.
Please tell me why the balance wouldn't hold?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Its because the ring doesnt fit tight enough to the hub or after a while the ring warps from pressure and wear and tear. When you reach high speeds whatever play there is between the ring and hub will vibrate the wheel.

Quick Reply: Somebody Shoot Me/Vibration