E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some New Run Flat Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Steptronic, Titanium Gray Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='306142' date='Jul 2 2006, 02:58 PM
Really? Surely BMW won't back down after all their hype?
It seemed odd to me too. I have only had the car 3 weeks and thought the car was equipped with RF tires. I guess I had a feeling my car did not have RF tires. I looked thru all the literature that came with the car, checked the tires and went on the Continental Tire website to make sure I knew what I was talking about. It seems that here in the States BMW is now fitting the 5 with non-RF tires.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Steptronic, Titanium Gray Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats.

Originally Posted by Geno' post='306224' date='Jul 2 2006, 07:19 PM
Right, but his post said that Contis replace the runflats for '07. Since runflats only ship with Sports Packages I assumed that's what he meant. Care to clarify, jmach?

colejl,

Yep, it would be big news if BMW suddenly abandoned runflats three months into delivery of its '07 models.

Sorry. My mistake. I thought all 5s were equipped with RF tires. Why would BMW equip only cars with the Sport Package with RFTs? Not all 5s. To me that seems counterintuitive. Isn't the general thought that tires on 18 in wheels are more suseptible to damage than tires on 17 in wheels? If RFTs are that good, or provide benefit, why doesn't every 5 come with them?

Again, sorry for not knowing what I was talking about.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by jmach' post='306957' date='Jul 4 2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry. My mistake. I thought all 5s were equipped with RF tires. Why would BMW equip only cars with the Sport Package with RFTs? Not all 5s. To me that seems counterintuitive. Isn't the general thought that tires on 18 in wheels are more suseptible to damage than tires on 17 in wheels? If RFTs are that good, or provide benefit, why doesn't every 5 come with them?

Again, sorry for not knowing what I was talking about.
No need to be sorry.....that's why we are all here....to learn and share!! While I agree with your logic about all fives having the RFs, that same logic would/could be extended to include rear side airbags, sport packages....etc. I guess it all comes down to cost.......

As for the RFs.......while there is definitely a safety factor to having the runflats, they are absolutely not universally loved....so....perhaps you should count yourself lucky??
Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jiio' post='305392' date='Jun 30 2006, 01:16 AM
166s right? If so, your car and mine will be exactly twins! Only difference would be your Euro plates. Like you I had my Euro plates on my front bumper, but after the M-tech installation I decided to go naked.

Actually when I got my M-tech bumper I did not want to drill any holes in it, so I just used double stick tape to mount the license plate, and I glued the plastic screw covers on to make it look like it is mounted with screws.

As far a the 166's....yes I like them, but read my thread about wheels for the whole story:

>>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i Clear Bra B&B Exhaust 19" ACS Type IV Pilot Sport A/S

Originally Posted by jmach' post='305921' date='Jul 1 2006, 05:01 PM
It seems that from all the negative comments about RFs that I should be glad that my new 2007 530i does not come with the RFs. New 2007s are fitted with ContiTouringContacts and a compact spare.
You'd better check. I have an 07', and it came with Pontenza RFs, and a compact spare.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Dropped RF over a year ago. Haven't seen anyone suggest this tho... Had dealer replace RF with Michelins all around but inspection of wheels while on lift showed two things; and the reason for the following advice. One, they placed some balance weights between the spokes of the wheel where everyone can see them and could be scrubbed off in cleaning. I suggested that they split the weight and place them behind the spokes. I didn't think I had to explain to the dealer how to balance tires. Second... and more important, I saw some paint chipping of the rim of one wheel against the rubber where I could never see it before. This was likely done in the shop because of the difficulty pulling off the RF's and mounting new tires on those rims. I can't prove they did it, I just suspect it. I hand wash the car myself only. So, before anyone does some tire work, closely examine the wheels and better take a picture close to the rim-rubber meeting line. This way you have the proof you need for them to fix or replace the wheel.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Members

I have had my RF dunlops replaced for free at 8K mi and now again at 18k mi for the same problem of loud road noise. This time they put on bridgestones, what a difference! still RF though... Luckily when I bought the car they sold me tire insurance and so far they have replaced 6 tires in addition to the above because of potholes, punctures etc. So far I have had 14 tires replaced for free in 20kmiles!!!