E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some New Run Flat Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an interesting chat with a technical rep. from Bridgestone.

He mentioned the following:-
RFT technology is no good for poor road surfaces. The side wall as the RF re-inforcing allowing very little sidewall flex. If you hit a pot hole, area of the road that has been dug up with sharp edges et. etc. the area just after the tread but before the reinforcing takes a lot of strain and can be damaged causing bulging. This has happened to me twice in 2 months. Non RFT tyres have alot more flex and are able to absorb the hit much better.

Bmw asked them and other manufacturers to drive the car with all 4 tyres totally empty. Bridgestone put on 4 new RFT's and drove 400km's (240 miles) and found that after close internal inspection the tyres will still in very good condition and ok for inflation and continued use.

However they also found that if the new tyres were first inflated to allow the side walls to stretch, then totally deflated and driven that the disatnce was decreased to 200km with small signs of damage.

After a slow or fast puncture the main reason for not allowing repairs is more that when removing the tyre from the rim the tyre shop can damage the side wall re-inforcing if they are not careful. It's not so much that the side walls can be damaged if the car is driven with a flat providing the distance and speed are minimal.

I am tired of having to replace bulged tyres so as soon as all my tyres need replacing I will be going for non RFT tyres.

Streak
Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by streak' post='305059' date='Jun 29 2006, 05:02 PM
RFT technology is no good for poor road surfaces. The side wall as the RF re-inforcing allowing very little sidewall flex. If you hit a pot hole, area of the road that has been dug up with sharp edges et. etc. the area just after the tread but before the reinforcing takes a lot of strain and can be damaged causing bulging.
Thanks for the info!

Also note that the RF's weigh about + 50 %! :thumbsdown:

A Finnish carmagazine did a test on RF winter wheels.
They did hold on for some 300 + km's as empty.

Those who care, get RF's, but otherwise - forget about the RF's. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

I just replaced my front passenger side Dunlop Runflat last week because of a bulge. BMW would not cover it under warrenty and said I must have hit a pothole (which I don't recall).

I almost replaced all four tires and got bigger wheels, but in the last minute I decided to just put another RF on and wait for all four tires to need replacing before changing to non-RF's with bigger wheels.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sports Pkg Titanium Silver on Black SMG HUD

finally getting rid of my garbage RF's this next week, getting Toyo T1-R's so excited, going with a 245/40/18 Front and 255/35/18 rear. Can't wait.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by 530i SMG' post='305370' date='Jun 30 2006, 12:20 AM
finally getting rid of my garbage RF's this next week, getting Toyo T1-R's so excited, going with a 245/40/18 Front and 255/35/18 rear. Can't wait.
Are you sure about 255/40/18 in the rear? Wouldn't 275/35/18 be more appropriate or is it just a typo?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='305222' date='Jun 29 2006, 02:59 PM
I just replaced my front passenger side Dunlop Runflat last week because of a bulge. BMW would not cover it under warrenty and said I must have hit a pothole (which I don't recall).

I almost replaced all four tires and got bigger wheels, but in the last minute I decided to just put another RF on and wait for all four tires to need replacing before changing to non-RF's with bigger wheels.
166s right? If so, your car and mine will be exactly twins! Only difference would be your Euro plates. Like you I had my Euro plates on my front bumper, but after the M-tech installation I decided to go naked.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='305059' date='Jun 29 2006, 05:02 PM
I had an interesting chat with a technical rep. from Bridgestone.

He mentioned the following:-
RFT technology is no good for poor road surfaces. The side wall as the RF re-inforcing allowing very little sidewall flex. If you hit a pot hole, area of the road that has been dug up with sharp edges et. etc. the area just after the tread but before the reinforcing takes a lot of strain and can be damaged causing bulging. This has happened to me twice in 2 months. Non RFT tyres have alot more flex and are able to absorb the hit much better.

Bmw asked them and other manufacturers to drive the car with all 4 tyres totally empty. Bridgestone put on 4 new RFT's and drove 400km's (240 miles) and found that after close internal inspection the tyres will still in very good condition and ok for inflation and continued use.

However they also found that if the new tyres were first inflated to allow the side walls to stretch, then totally deflated and driven that the disatnce was decreased to 200km with small signs of damage.

After a slow or fast puncture the main reason for not allowing repairs is more that when removing the tyre from the rim the tyre shop can damage the side wall re-inforcing if they are not careful. It's not so much that the side walls can be damaged if the car is driven with a flat providing the distance and speed are minimal.

I am tired of having to replace bulged tyres so as soon as all my tyres need replacing I will be going for non RFT tyres.

Streak
I knew those RF tires are no good crapy wooden tires.... :thumbsdown:
Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

However, on our wonderful, pot hole free Florida roads the RFs are great. Now at 26000 miles, with plenty tread left and still quiet and grippy. No complaints here. But again I think it has to do with the roads. Bridgestone Protenzas
Old 06-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Dunlops are still fine after 5K, but I'm starting to hear some noise...Not good. Will probably complain and exchange under warranty for Bridges.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I am about to drive on the worst lenth of highway known to man. I-78 East bound from NJ to Harriburg, PA is by far the s**tiest road I can find. I will give a report on how is goes.

Quick Reply: Some New Run Flat Information