E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520xi
Default TPMS fault

I have a 2007 (built 10/2006) 530xi. I am getting a tpms fault 604e and 6053 faults. When I reset, it just says tpms malfunction. Looks like the car can't talk to the module, so I got another one from the junkyard and same thing. Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by skeester
I have a 2007 (built 10/2006) 530xi. I am getting a tpms fault 604e and 6053 faults. When I reset, it just says tpms malfunction. Looks like the car can't talk to the module, so I got another one from the junkyard and same thing. Any ideas?
I havent looked up your specific codes in detail, but i have a similar intermittent problem resulting in TPMS malfunction. sometimes i can reset it and its fine for a while but it always comes back. in my case, i think its the transmitter in the left rear wheel well that needs to be replaced. in your case, it sounds like the TPM antenna may be bad and not the RDC module itself.

the system actually consists of several components....

1) there is the TPMS sensor itself in the valve stem of the tire.
2) there is a receiver/transmitter that "reads" the pressure from the valve stem. this transmitter is located behind each wheel wheel.
3) the transmitter sends the data to a TPM antenna on the underside of the car.
4) the antenna converts the data and sends it across the vehicle bus to the RDC module (in the trunk). the module evaluates the data and sends information to the display so the driver is made aware of the fault.

Last edited by BostonJon; 05-30-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:48 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

here's some more info from WDS that may help you further diagnose your problem:

Tire Pressure Control (RDC)

Tire Pressure Monitor
The Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPM) is a system for monitoring the tyre inflation pressure while the vehicle is being driven. To achieve this, the tyre inflation pressure and tyre air temperature are measured at certain intervals at the request of the TPM control module and telemetrically transmitted across an HF transmission path to the TPM antenna. The TPM antenna feeds the signals back across the bus to the TPM control module. The control module evaluates the received data. If required, it forwards the information to the driver. The driver is thus informed of a necessary correction of tyre inflation pressure or a puncture that might have occurred

The following components are described for the TPM:

TPM antenna
The TPM antenna is generally located on the underbody. Depending on the model series, the position can be in the front area (cross-member of A-pillar) or in the central area of the underbody

TPM transmitters
The 4 TPM transmitters are fitted under the wheel arch trim in the wheelhouses. The TPM transmitters send the requests from the control module to the wheel electronics systems. This achieves bidirectional communication

Wheel electronics systems in the running wheels and/or in the spare wheel
The wheel electronic systems are mounted in the wheel drop center. Together with the filling valve, they form a compact unit and are fitted in the same way as a screw valve in the rim. The wheel electronics system contains:
•pressure sensor
•temperature sensor
•Lateral-acceleration sensor
•Battery
•A transmission and reception antenna

The wheel electronics system is activated on initial fill of the tire. The measured values are transmitted from the wheel electronics system either on request or cyclically (every 3 seconds) from the tyre to the TPM antenna. This cycle is temporarily shortened if a certain pressure change is detected. In the case of temperature values greater than 120 °C inside the tyre, the wheel electronic system is switched off; if it cools down to less than 110 °C, it is switched on again.
Transmission rate normal: 54 s
Transmission rate increased: 0.8 s
Battery service life: approx. 10 years

TPM control module
The TPM control module evaluates the transmitted pressure and temperature values from the individual tyres. If required, a Check Control message in the instrument cluster notifies the driver. This signal may also be supported by supplementary information via the Control Display

Overall function
The TPM monitors the tyre inflation pressure while the vehicle is being driven. The tyre pressure to be monitored is specified by the driver. Using the control function in the iDrive or the TPM button, the driver instructs the system to adopt the current tyre pressure as setpoint pressure (reset). The plausibility of the setpoint pressure is checked before the TPM control module adopts it (axle-wise comparison of the specified pressures, minimum pressures). A reset is only possible when the tyre inflation pressure on all wheels is at least 1.6 bar. If the tyre pressure of one wheel falls below this limit, a Check Control message is issued immediately. If the pressure difference between the wheels on one axle > 0.4 bar, the reset is rejected following a plausibility check. A Check Control message is output. Remedy: set tyre pressures to the correct values and then run the reset once again.

Internal sequence after triggered adaptation process (reset):

1.Recognition of the fitted wheel electronics systems

2.Identifying of the position of the wheel electronics systems

3.Plausibility check by checking the specified pressures

4.Adoption of the specified pressures as setpoint pressures

On comparison of the current tyre pressure with the specified pressure, the air temperature is taken into account. On the basis of the specified pressure and temperature during the reset, the TPM calculates the limit values for the tyre inflation pressure for the current air temperature. The tyre inflation pressure increases by 0.1 bar per 10 °C increase in temperature. If the temperature-evaluated values are not reached, the TPM issues a Check Control message.

Resetting the TPM
In the case of vehicles without iDrive, the TPM is reset using a button in the centre console switch centre. This TPM button must be pressed for 4 seconds. On vehicles with iDrive, the TPM is reset via the menu item: Settings/Vehicle/TPM/Reset. In general, the reset can be carried out with the ignition on or engine on (only when vehicle is stationary

Diagnosis instructions

Important! Conditions for reset.

The TPM must be reset in the following cases:

•The tyre inflation pressure is changed.

•A wheel exchange is carried out. The exchanged wheels must be equipped with the correct wheel electronics systems.

•Axle-wise wheel exchange on the vehicle.

•Diagnosis instruction

Note! Check of the wheel electronics system

A check as to whether the correct wheel electronics system has been fitted can only by run after the tyre has been removed. Unfortunately, a query via the BMW diagnosis system is not possible for technical reasons.

Note! Reset of the TPM control module

During the reset, the control-module functions (measurement data of wheels 1 - 5) contain substitute values until the wheel allocation is complete (e.g. 6.4 bar; 127 °Celsius). To enable successful conclusion of the wheel allocation, the wheels must turn.

Country-specific versions
USA, Canada
Transmission frequency of the system: 433 MHz

Reception frequency of the system: 125 MHz

No liability can be accepted for printing or other faults. Subject to changes of a technical nature
Old 05-31-2016, 04:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: 520xi

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: I have BMW X5 with me

Hi...as per my knowledge there is the TPMS sensor itself in the valve stem of the tire and a receiver/transmitter that "reads" the pressure from the valve stem. this transmitter is located behind each wheel wheel.The transmitter sends the data to a TPM antenna on the underside of the car and the antenna converts the data and sends it across the vehicle bus to the RDC module.

printed circuits assembly

Last edited by NealXu; 02-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.