E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Softwear updates necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got 8,000 miles on my 545ia. Dealer thinks it's a good idea to do first oil change now rather than waiting for normal 15,000 mile interval. Will do, but I told him no softwear updates needed, especially since they seem to cause more problems than they fix. I guess best advice is , if it isn't broken don't fix it. He agrees. Am I missing anything by not upgrading to 13.2 at this time? Have a 6/15/04 build date.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Unless you've got some major problem that needs to be fixed, I'd avoid the software update. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My Jan 04 build is still running, I assume, a version somewhere in the 11.x range. No problems other than the CD player restarting at track 1. Definitely a very minor problem I will live with until there is some reason for the update, like offering MP3 capability or if I develop some software related problem. Keeping fingers crossed, nothing so far...

And I agree on the oil change, did mine around 4,000 miles.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Nov 26 2004, 09:13 AM
Got 8,000 miles on my 545ia. Dealer thinks it's a good idea to do first oil change now rather than waiting for normal 15,000 mile interval. Will do, but I told him no softwear updates needed, especially since they seem to cause more problems than they fix. I guess best advice is , if it isn't broken don't fix it. He agrees. Am I missing anything by not upgrading to 13.2 at this time? Have a 6/15/04 build date.
[snapback]61042[/snapback]
Probably not. You must have got v12x when the car came to VPC to handle the emissions recall and the problem on the some V8s.

1)If you have RDS, you will loose it.
2)The steering may become a little tighter.
3)The system will slow down a bit.

If you get V13.3, you can have them set up bluetooth for you.

My advise is wait. you are paying for this one. BMW won't cover it because its no on their schedule. Tell him to call you when V15 of the software is available and update to that. Make sure they set up Bluetooth for you. V14 shoudl be at the dealer soon. (its on Iceman's car but he is in Germany) Maybe they will skip it and go staright to V15.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

I agrees, no need for an aupdate if you aint got any problems. I just done a update to 13.3 because that activated TMC.

Im just waiting for the update that will alow me to play Mp3's and DVD's
Old 11-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The oil change issue has been much discussed, but as I own the car as opposed to a lease, I had it done. It only costs around $80 and I have read about folks finding metal in their oil early in the life of their BMW engines, related to the break-in. Will the early oil change make a difference in the life span of the engine? Who knows, but since I own and hope to keep the car a lot longer than someone who is leasing and will turn it back it after 36,000 miles, it is $80 well spent. just my 0.02
Old 11-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Nov 26 2004, 09:32 AM
The oil change issue has been much discussed, but as I own the car as opposed to a lease, I had it done.? It only costs around $80 and I have read about folks finding metal in their oil early in the life of their BMW engines, related to the break-in.? Will the early oil change make a difference in the life span of the engine? Who knows, but since I own and hope to keep the car a lot longer than someone who is leasing and will turn it back it after 36,000 miles, it is $80 well spent.? just my 0.02
[snapback]61052[/snapback]
I agree with you. I just think it should be timed with a significant software update.
I am leasing, but I will still pay them for the oil change. Since I will pay for it, I want a worthwile software update for free. They know I have issues with the current software. I paid the for an hour of labor to go from 13.2 to 13.3 and have the bluetooth set up. My car was scheduled to have a CPT9000 installed at $1000 so I was not complaining.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Nov 26 2004, 04:13 PM
I guess best advice is , if it isn't broken don't fix it. He agrees. Am I missing anything by not upgrading to 13.2 at this time? Have a 6/15/04 build date.
Here's the latest fix list (13.2) I have, see if you are suffering from any of the problems and judge whether the update is necessary

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 13.2

The CPT9000 (V60s) Telephone does not dial out (call immediately ends) when the handset is roaming. Refer to SM B84 211 04 for further information.

The 'rollover protection inactive" CC (Check Control) message appears yellow in the instrument cluster. FC "9421 ? roll-over power reserve voltage not OK" stored in the SGM (Safety Information Gateway Module). Refer to Service Measure B72 208 04. Vehicles affected: E64 (6 Series).

Poor radio reception and/or interference in AM mode, especially on talk radio. Refer to Service Measure B65 212 04.

Service Engine Soon light is illuminated. DME FC "2761 ? Hot film air mass, secondary air" is stored. Refer to Service Measure B12 203 04.

Check engine lamp is illuminated. Any of the following fault codes may be stored in the DME.

FC "2960 ? Exhaust Temperature Too High After Catalytic Converter Bank 1"

FC "2961 ? Exhaust Temperature Too High After Catalytic Converter Bank 2"

FC "2973 ? Oxygen Sensor Before Catalytic Converter Bank 1"

FC "2974 ? Oxygen Sensor Before Catalytic Converter Bank 2"

Refer to Service Measure B12 208 04

Individual seat memory settings can't be set (missing selection on CID) on vehicles produced prior to 9/2003.

DWA causes excessive closed circuit current draw. Vehicles affected: E63/64 (6 series). Refer to Service Measure B65 218 04.

FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) cannot be initialized (FTM is grayed out and cannot be selected in CD after CIP 12 programming).

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 12.0

Poor AM reception on vehicles equipped with M-ASK (Multi-Audio System Controller).

CD player doesn't remember last position.

AFS (Active Front Steering) causes a battery draw.

Airbag warning lamp illuminates and the message "Airbag safety systems restricted" is shown in CID (Central Information Display). The following telegram errors could be stored in various satellites caused by faulty door module software:

TMBF: 96C2 Self-test: too few messages, 96B8 deactivation satellite, 96FA deactivation satellite, 96B1 deactivation satellite

TMFA: 9642 Self-test: too few messages, 9631 deactivation satellite

SZL: 94C3 Self-test: too few messages, 94B2 deactivation satellite

SBSR: 98C2 Self-test: too few messages, 98AF deactivation satellite

SBSL: 9842 Self-test: too few messages, 9835 deactivation satellite, 982F deactivation satellite

SFZ: 9AC2 Self-test: too few messages, 9AB1 deactivation satellite

SGM-SIM: 93E4 Self-test: too few messages, 93DA deactivation satellite, 93B0 deactivation satellite

BMW Assist errors displayed on CID. Refer to SM B84 207 04.

CCC (Car Communication Computer): MFL diamond button programmable.

CCC: No audio output after CCC start-up. The track title is no longer displayed in the CD menu; only the CD symbol is shown. There is no audio output unless FM is selected. Track titles are then restored if CD is selected.

CCC: When entering the destination via the controller, the characters do not appear for several seconds.

CCC: The PDC and/or seat-belt warnings do not sound.

CCC: The radio is on in the vehicle and the vehicle is then parked. The vehicle is started again after being parked up for several hours, but there is no audio output. Audio output is not restored until the "Entertainment" menu is selected in the CID.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 11.0

The airbag warning lamp in the instrument cluster lights up red and the CC message "Restraint-system failed" is displayed in the Central Information Display (CID). One or more of the following faults may be stored:

The fault code "9401 - Control Module Fault" is stored in the Safety Information Gateway Module (SGM). Note that improvements to the SGM/SIM software have been progressively introduced since CIP 10.1.

SGM fault code "9402 and/or 9404 - Front sensor wrong component".

Satellite B Pillar Right (SBSR) fault code "98C5 - Implausible crash severity".

SGM fault code "9413 - Signal Lamp Airbag faulty".

SBSR fault code "991D - Battery Lead (screen), implausible measured value".

Switch Center Steering Column (SZL) "94C7 - Short circuit or open ignition circuit 1".

SZL fault code "9506 and/or 9508 - Communication steering wheel electronics".

The Check Engine Light is illuminated. One or more of the following faults are stored.

N62 DME FC "278B ? Engine temperature plausibility".

N62 DME FC "278D ? Radiator outlet temperature plausibility".

N62 DME FC "27CD DMTL ? Current fluctuation during minor leak test".

CID display shows CD inserted in M-ASK, but there is not CD in the drive.

The airbag warning light comes on. The "Pass restraint system fault" Check Control message appears. SBSR FC 95B7 "seat occupancy detection communication malfunction" or 95B8 "sensor mat fault" is stored. Note that improvements to the SBSR software have been progressively introduced from CIP 10.0 onwards. Further improvements are expected with later CIP versions.

EGS Warning displayed, 6HP16 EGS FC "4F6A ? temperature sensor, overheating shut-off" is stored and cannot be cleared.

Steering column memory positions are lost from the SZM (Central Switching Center).

On vehicles equipped with CCC (Car Communication Computer) the PDC (Park Distance Control) volume is to loud.

When selecting the Navigation menu from the main menu with a short push of the controller, the incorrect navigation screen is displayed.

With low outside temperatures, if a CD is being played, the track suddenly skips forward to the next track. The fault no longer occurs once the vehicle is warmed up.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.1

The airbag warning lamp in the instrument cluster lights up red and the CC message "Restraint-system failed" is displayed in the Central Information Display (CID). The fault code 9401 "Control Module Fault" is stored in the Safety Information Gateway Module (SGM). Coding fix only.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.0

Airbag warning light is on, SBSR FC 95B7 "Occupancy Sensor Mat".

The "passenger airbag status light" is too bright (reduction in brightness).
Old 11-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Very informative, I think we should put this on the FAQ somewhere.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Nov 26 2004, 05:22 PM
I agrees, no need for an aupdate if you aint got any problems. I just done a update to 13.3 because that activated TMC.

Im just waiting for the update that will alow me to play Mp3's and DVD's
[snapback]61050[/snapback]
I agree, I have v14 and it's stable, with no apparent problems.
Next update for me will be also for mp3's and hopefully dvd's...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Nov 26 2004, 06:34 PM
Here's the latest fix list (13.2) I have, see if you are suffering from any of the problems and judge whether the update is necessary?
[snapback]61065[/snapback]
Do you know about later updates? What they fix? Version 14? Version 15?

Quick Reply: Softwear updates necessary?