E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software version upgrade when buying a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current thinking is that when I buy my e60 (Approved Used Car), I will be in a good position to get the dealer to throw in a few extras to seal the deal. Some of these extras include upgrades to software version. Do people think it is a good idea to get the dealer to upgrade the car's software to the latest version? On the one hand, I can see it being better to have the latest version as it will include bug fixes and possible some extra features. On the other hand, why fix something if it's not broke.

If I need the software upgrade after the deal has been struck then I'm guessing I will probably need to pay for it myself.

On a similar note, I will be requesting for the latest Navigation DVD version as I think that's much less risk in getting them to throw in the latest version. Does anyone know what the latest version is for UK/Europe?

TIA
Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

iv got the 09 version for uk i think?
only thing better on it then what my car came with is the speed cam locations and postcode

although for the speed cam locations u have to search for this option each time u load the nav menu which is a pain, so i genrally dont use this feature - aless im doing it wrong and there is a way ti keep it on all the time?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

2009.01 is the latest disc, good luck with the car
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='847260' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:07 PM
My current thinking is that when I buy my e60 (Approved Used Car), I will be in a good position to get the dealer to throw in a few extras to seal the deal. Some of these extras include upgrades to software version. Do people think it is a good idea to get the dealer to upgrade the car's software to the latest version? On the one hand, I can see it being better to have the latest version as it will include bug fixes and possible some extra features. On the other hand, why fix something if it's not broke.

If I need the software upgrade after the deal has been struck then I'm guessing I will probably need to pay for it myself.

On a similar note, I will be requesting for the latest Navigation DVD version as I think that's much less risk in getting them to throw in the latest version. Does anyone know what the latest version is for UK/Europe?

TIA
That's exactly what I negotiated for when I bought my 2004 in mid 2005 - a software upgrade and the latest Nav disk. Since then, I've had two more software upgrades for minor things.

Ask for everything you want now. I certainly didn't stop at the upgrade and latest disk. My list was quite long.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Contributors

You'll find it difficult to prove they've really done the software upgrade unless you familiarise yourself with how an updated iDrive looks. It would be very easy for them to lie and say it's done because if you somehow found out it wasn't done, they could easily say "oh, they must have forgotten ... I told them to do it .... damn those forgetful mechanics .... let me go and sort them out for you". Take a look in My Album where I posted a couple of pics of the iDrive screens after I got my update done. This would be the biggest change, in the navigation (see the icons on the left):

Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='847365
You'll find it difficult to prove they've really done the software upgrade unless you familiarise yourself with how an updated iDrive looks. It would be very easy for them to lie and say it's done because if you somehow found out it wasn't done, they could easily say "oh, they must have forgotten ... I told them to do it .... damn those forgetful mechanics .... let me go and sort them out for you". Take a look in My Album where I posted a couple of pics of the iDrive screens after I got my update done. This would be the biggest change, in the navigation (see the icons on the left):

I was going to write down all the version numbers within the hidden idrive menu and compare before and after. Would there be much visible difference in idrive if the software is almost up to date but not quite?

TIA
Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='847715' date='Apr 15 2009, 08:01 AM
I was going to write down all the version numbers within the hidden idrive menu and compare before and after. Would there be much visible difference in idrive if the software is almost up to date but not quite?
Aaah, now you're asking the difficult questions. I'm still too much of a noob to know that one. All I know is that I almost certainly still had iDrive s/w from 2004 on mine and upgrading to the latest (Feb 2009 32.1) was a great improvement. Most noticeably in the navigation. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows the answer to this :-)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

i had mine done recently but us bussines nav users are getting shafted, theres been no changes since the e60 went on sale in 2003
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

This post: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=hidden++menu

shows a picture of the hidden iDrive menu with the various version numbers. Does anyone know how long the list of version numbers are? Is it just this screens worth or does the screen scroll and reveal more items? I'm thinking of writing down all the items and wondering how long it would take. Or I may use the video option on my digital camera.

TIA