E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Orient Blue, Auburn Int. Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 , Nav... European Delivery 3/21/05 Redelivery 6/1/05.

I have read many posts here from members that have various issues with their car. Most of them seem to be software related and few simply mechanical issues. My 545 has a March 05 build. I'm not sure what version of software it has, but I have not had a single glitch or mechanical issue yet! (Knocking on wood!) I keep reading about transmission shifting issues, Throttle response issues, Idrive issues, LED Angel light issues, bluetooth phone issues, creaking door seal issues, rattling package tray issues, etc. etc... The question I have is it a necessary procedure to upgrade the software to satisfy some warranty or maintenance requirement? Or maybe I should just stay away from the dealer and let my good luck streak continue. I really love this car... it has performed flawlessly and is a kick in the ass to drive!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

if everything's working out for you with the car I would be inclined to leave the software as is until there is a major reason to upgrade (i.e. when we finally get MP3 playback on Nav equipped cars, or perspective view on Nav if you don't already have that). All of my updates have been because of some underlying problem - if yours is OK I'd be inclined to leave it alone to be honest. I'd rather have a trouble free car with slightly older software instead.
cheers
Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I have a similar build date and also have had no problems. I wouldn't do anything until or if a significant new feature is enabled via SW, or if you are having a service.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hmmm, sounds just like the rule of thumb when operating a PC these days... If everything is working, don't try to improve it by installing the latest drivers - it only increases the chance that something will get broken...

Jon.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Jul 24 2005, 10:36 AM
Hmmm, sounds just like the rule of thumb when operating a PC these days... If everything is working, don't try to improve it by installing the latest drivers - it only increases the chance that something will get broken...

Jon.
[snapback]152453[/snapback]
remeber it is windows based......they are one in the same
Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Jul 24 2005, 08:36 AM

Jon.
[snapback]152453[/snapback]
Agreed--if it ain't broke...don't fix it.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:34 PM
MEX
Senior Members

mmm where's iceman and his "never touch a running system" smilie when you need it?

anyway, just wait and reconsider when they offer the mp3 playability, otherwise its just not worth the risk

tnx
Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I agree with all above. I just wonder if MP3 is such a big tease for me....worth the risk of creating new bugs.....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by MEX' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:34 AM
mmm where's iceman and his "never touch a running system" smilie when you need it?
[snapback]152627[/snapback]
Name:  ntars.gif
Views: 15
Size:  3.3 KB
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Face-lifted E46 Toruing, soon to be replaced by E60!

My car is due in for service in a few weeks and I am hesitant as to wether I should try to get an upgrade or not.
I don't have the perspective view in the Nav (Pro), which I really want, but on the other hand I don't want to risk loosing the led's or the "eyebrows", since they do so much for the look of the car.

Can anyone tell me which software version is the latest "safe" version = perspective nav view AND working led's & eyebrows?

Quick Reply: Software upgrade or not?