E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software upgrade/New tires, and now my...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 545 sport in for service recently. They did the software upgrade - can't tell which version, but assume it was 16.xx (work done in last week of May and I'm in Dallas). They also replaced my noisy Dunlops after about 6K miles.

Now the steering and handling of my car is way different from before. I had heard that 16.xx changed some things with the active steering, but this is a change for the worse. The steering feels much looser and lighter (more Buick-like, than BMW). Also, and I may be imagining this, but it also feels like the suspension is softer, as the car rolls and dives more on turns and braking.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could the new tires be an issue (they're the same Dunlops runflats as before, just a newer production date)?

Side note: the new software does seem to boot much quicker, but now I have more phone/bluetooth hiccups.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

i think after i update software 16.xx suspension is softer
530D SANGO
Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I think it's all in your heads... do you guys have any other proof other than "it feels" different?

I didn't know the 5 series suspension was electronically controlled... One of the reasons I bought a 545 was that it didn't have airbag suspensions like the E and S class have. Mercedes airmatic suspensions go out frequently.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Sounds like your new tires and not your software upgrade. Perhaps the news are over filled?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM
JDN
Contributors

If you had the tires replaced at BMW of Dallas, they are notorious for putting in 32 psi all the way around, regardless of model, etc. MY SA said it works fine. Go back to what is on your door post 36 front, 44 rear and see if that doesn't clear some of the handling differences you feel.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

JDN may be right regarding the softer suspension. I also felt the suspension went soft after coming back from the update. But as it turned out, the dealer has set the pressure at 32/34 f/r. I filled the tire back to 38/44 as per door label, and everything came back. I did notice the transmission and the throtle response were milder after the update though.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Members

The E60s do have Active Suspension, do they not? That is why you can have flat cornering...the car stiffens up the suspension in the hard, fast turn as it sees fit.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by TXPearl' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:06 AM
Had my 545 sport in for service recently.? They did the software upgrade - can't tell which version, but assume it was 16.xx (work done in last week of May and I'm in Dallas).? They also replaced my noisy Dunlops after about 6K miles.

Now the steering and handling of my car is way different from before.? I had heard that 16.xx changed some things with the active steering, but this is a change for the worse.? The steering feels much looser and lighter (more Buick-like, than BMW).? Also, and I may be imagining this, but it also feels like the suspension is softer, as the car rolls and dives more on turns and braking.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Could the new tires be an issue (they're the same Dunlops runflats as before, just a newer production date)?

Side note:? the new software does seem to boot much quicker, but now I have more phone/bluetooth hiccups.

Thanks.
[snapback]138229[/snapback]
Relax, you wll be fine in a few miles and adjusted tire pressure. Its your new Dunlops. The old worn ones were harder to steer and you had gotten used to it.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 10 2005, 12:13 PM
I think it's all in your heads...? do you guys have any other proof other than "it feels" different??

I didn't know the 5 series suspension was electronically controlled...? One of the reasons I bought a 545 was that it didn't have airbag suspensions like the E and S class have.? Mercedes airmatic suspensions go out frequently.
[snapback]138271[/snapback]
Tom,

The BMW e60 does have the option of the Active Suspension, which adjusts the suspension in order to allow flatter cornering, while also maintaining a smoother ride on the freeway. I believe the system uses adjustable sway bars as it's main component, instead of airbags like the competitors.

What ever they use, it is awesome. I do believe this is part of the Sport Package.

Your car wouldn't have it if it didn't have the sport package.

Regards,

Michael
Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Jun 11 2005, 07:05 AM
The BMW e60 does have the option of the Active Suspension, which adjusts the suspension in order to allow flatter cornering, while also maintaining a smoother ride on the freeway.? I believe the system uses adjustable sway bars as it's main component, instead of airbags like the competitors.?

What ever they use, it is awesome.? I do believe this is part of the Sport Package.?

Your car wouldn't have it if it didn't have the sport package.?
[snapback]138468[/snapback]
It's called: Dynamic Drive.

Quick Reply: Software upgrade/New tires, and now my...