E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software update or not???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 08:53 AM

Dont do it. My car went in last wednesday for a software upgrade and some other work. It crashed and theyy fixed, Problem is they still cant start the car. This is redicously. Im thinking about moving it to another dealer. The other dealer will do me a favor and send a flatbed down to pick it up. Any sugestions?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 3 2004, 08:49 PM
It depends on the experience and thoroughness of the service technicians and how up to date the dealership is with service bulletins,? round table videos etc.

My dealership has been through the ropes of crashing upgrades.? they know that opening a door during the upgrade is the same as suspending a computer while flashing the bios.?? This is delicate stuff,? but not rocket science.?? If your dealership has service department that look like a bunch of grease monkeys,? forget it.

The lastest version is 13.3 by the way.? So there in itself is an indication that they don't stay current.

The 13.3 upgrade will fix many issues (and break some,? like RDS, ZIPCODE input etc.) including tighten up the Active steering.

It boils down to whether you trust them or not.
[snapback]52506[/snapback]
Are there any features, benefits or new functionality offered by these upgrades? Of course, I know about the Bluetooth that you get with 13.3, but ZIP code input is a feature not included in my present vehicle.

I am wondering is there a list of software upgrades and what was new or fixed with each release.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Well I just returned from my dealership and after a long and involved discussion with the service foreman, I'm not convinced they would be able to perform the upgrade without the CCC crashing. They are updating cars with v13.2.2 which is at least one or two minor revisions old. They have not received any latest downloads from BMW so I don't know if BMW slowly rolls out new revisions, or if the dealership has to take the initiative to get the latest download themselves? Of the past 3 e60's they've upgraded, 1 was successful and 2 crashed. They also have a 645ci in the shop waiting for a new CCC board after that s/w crashed.

Anyway, I've decided not to do the update at this time and I'll consider it again when the global shortage of CCC boards is resolved and/or BMW releases another version. The shop foreman was very accomodating and was willing to do whatever I wanted them to, but I just didn't feel like taking the chance now. During our discussion he also asked me how come I know so much about the e60's... I told him I have access to the best repository of e60 information anywhere in the world!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Nov 3 2004, 10:44 PM
If they crash the CCU and needs replacing whos paying for it? You? or them? If its them I say go for it.
[snapback]52518[/snapback]
In my case the steering wheel didn't go up and down with the key (as well as a few other minor bugs). According to the repair order, the 1st try didn't work but the second update did. I was without my car for around 4 days. All is well now (don't have RDS now... but didn't have it then).

The previous time that I had the car in (for those super cool mud flaps ) my S.A. told me that unless I had a problem they wouldn't just update the software because of crashing computers, etc . I thought he was just BS'ing me so that he wouldn't have to do it. Now I'm not so sure - but like with most computer issues - mine is working for now (the how and why I really don't care).

Peace~