E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software update or not???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Hi everyone,
I brought my '04 545i SMG into my dealer this week to have several issues addressed (see my previous post re: Automatic Headlights). My dealer informed me that most of my issues require the software version be upgraded to the latest 13.2 revision. I'm currently running on a version of 11.0 software. However, my dealer strongly cautioned me that this upgrade has cause several problems on other customers vehicles equipped with Nav which require the CCC computer to be replaced, which is currently on backorder. This topic has been covered in other posts on this board.

So here's my dilemma. Do I authorize them to go ahead with the upgrade and cross my fingers that it doesn't crash my CCC or do I live with the current problems and wait for the next SW revision to be available. Of course, there's no guarantee the next SW version won't have the same problem, but if I go ahead and upgrade now and my CCC does crash, then I'll be without my car for 2-3 weeks. What to do??? Most of my problems are nuissance issues, not really preventing me from driving the car, but they bother me everyday.

Any inputs are welcome, especially from members who have already upgraded to v13.2 software. I have to tell my dealer tomorrow what I want to do. Thanks!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Members

Hi Joe,

My dealer crashed the CCC, when they tried to upgrade my car from v 11.x to v 12.x. I drove my car without idrive (no stereo and navigation) for 2 weeks. It didn't really bother me without idrive, stereo and navigation. When I took my car to another dealer, the second dealer recovered the CCC with a new download. The process is probably similar to "clear NVRAM" then flashing the firmware again. I guess in certain instances, they can not be recovered. Depends at what stage, the download crashed.

My car has v. 12.x and I'm happy with it. I'm waiting for MP3, RDS for radio support before I bring my car in to the dealer for upgrade. If the bluetooth retrofit is available on my car, I may also get the bluetooth. I recommend that you wait for the national backorder on CCC to clear before you let the dealer upgrade to CIP v. 13.x or greater to avoid driving a free rental car or loaner for 3 weeks.

James
Old 11-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Nov 3 2004, 06:38 PM
Hi Joe,

My dealer crashed the CCC, when they tried to upgrade my car from v 11.x to v 12.x.? I drove my car without idrive (no stereo and navigation) for 2 weeks.? It didn't really bother me without idrive, stereo and navigation.? When I took my car to another dealer, the second dealer recovered the CCC with a new download.? The process is probably similar to "clear NVRAM" then flashing the firmware again.? I guess in certain instances, they can not be recovered.? Depends at what stage, the download crashed.

My car has v. 12.x and I'm happy with it.? I'm waiting for MP3, RDS for radio support? before I bring my car in to the dealer for upgrade.? If the bluetooth retrofit is available on my car, I may also get the bluetooth.? I recommend that you wait for the national backorder on CCC to clear before you let the dealer upgrade to CIP v. 13.x or greater to avoid driving a free rental car or loaner for 3 weeks.

James
[snapback]52504[/snapback]
It depends on the experience and thoroughness of the service technicians and how up to date the dealership is with service bulletins, round table videos etc.

My dealership has been through the ropes of crashing upgrades. they know that opening a door during the upgrade is the same as suspending a computer while flashing the bios. This is delicate stuff, but not rocket science. If your dealership has service department that look like a bunch of grease monkeys, forget it.

The lastest version is 13.3 by the way. So there in itself is an indication that they don't stay current.

The 13.3 upgrade will fix many issues (and break some, like RDS, ZIPCODE input etc.) including tighten up the Active steering.

It boils down to whether you trust them or not.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 PM
JDN
Contributors

It was a 28 day experience for me. Was it worth it? Heck no! Make sure you get a good loaner.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If they crash the CCU and needs replacing whos paying for it? You? or them? If its them I say go for it.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:25 PM
JDN
Contributors

It's warranty work. Say the steering wheel doesn't retract when you remove the key. That's a warranty issue.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributors

No way I'd personally do it. I've got a bunch of nuisance items, too, but the last time I was there was v. 13.1 and the dealer said it was buggy.

If they had a CCC in stock, fine. Since it's b/o'd, why would you take the chance of crashing it and being without the car for weeks. Wait till the first of:

1. Backup CCC in stock or
2. Confirmed non-problematic software rev.

Then, go get it fixed. Why mess around with it otherwise - time's too valuable for effectively beta-testing automotive software for them. Doesn't make sense. There's a known CCC 13.3 issue.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by John W' date='Nov 3 2004, 08:36 PM
No way I'd personally do it.? I've got a bunch of nuisance items, too, but the last time I was there was v. 13.1 and the dealer said it was buggy.

If they had a CCC in stock, fine.? Since it's b/o'd, why would you take the chance of crashing it and being without the car for weeks.? Wait till the first of:

1.? Backup CCC in stock or
2. Confirmed non-problematic software rev.

Then, go get it fixed.? Why mess around with it otherwise - time's too valuable for effectively beta-testing automotive software for them.? Doesn't make sense.? There's a known CCC 13.3 issue.
[snapback]52538[/snapback]
OK. Point taken, but I still think its the care with which the update is done. I am on V13.3 and everything is working fine. Are you suggesting that it will crash and destroy my CCC. I hope/think not. It is supposed to be a more stable version of V13.2. Now I haven't had any black screens or reboots but then I have only driven it on this version for 2 days.

It boils down to the quality of work and understanding at the dealership.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:13 AM
Members

jkava...

see my post under "active steering"... mostly philosophical but to me very simliar to a windows OS upgrade. As others have stated, it depends on what is wrong- if the car is not safe to drive or is a nagging at you, then you don't have much of a choice. However if it's only creature comforts then maybe you should wait. There will always be another s/w upgrade .... must you always have the latest s/w ? I have friends that treat their computers that way and guess what, they are always complaining about "this and that" after they do the upgrade.

Suggest you wait till the s/w matures (how long- i don't know) but the dealer having a backup CCC sounds like a good idea- otherwise you may be w/o your vehicle for longer that you think. Backorders are not a good thing.

-mike
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. The issues I'm having related to s/w are well known ie.) CD player starting from track 1 always, steering wheel not always returning to set position, i-Drive blanking out periodically and having to be rebooted, etc... None of them prevent me from driving the car, just annoying issues.

So my plan will be to meet personally with the service foreman and review the s/w upgrade procedures thoroughly with him. If I do not feel comfortable with their knowledge or procedures then I will hold off on the upgrade until the CCC backorder problem is cleared up. If I'm convinced they know what they are doing and can minimize the chances of something going wrong, then I'll probably go for it. They've given me an '04 530iA for a loaner car so it's not all bad

Quick Reply: Software update or not???