E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software 17.0 fixed my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
RAI
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a problem with my transmission "hanging onto" the lower gears for too long before shifting up to the next highest gear- especially in first gear. It would run up to 3,000 rpm in first before shifting into second, even when accelerating very softly.

I had a software update to 17.0 for something unrelated to the transmission, and it fixed my shifting! It's perfect now. If you have this problem, get a software update.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by RAI' date='Jun 13 2005, 05:11 PM
I've had a problem with my transmission "hanging onto" the lower gears for too long before shifting up to the next highest gear- especially in first gear.? It would run up to 3,000 rpm in first before shifting into second, even when accelerating very softly.

I had a software update to 17.0 for something unrelated to the transmission, and it fixed my shifting!? It's perfect now.? If you have this problem, get a software update.
[snapback]139176[/snapback]
RAI, I had the same issue, reported it to my dealer who of course "could not duplicate". For me it was only happening in DS where even at light throttle pressure the car would hang in gear, often well beyond 3,000 rpm (I expect it to that under heavy throttle but not at very light pressure, e.g turning off for the last 1/4 mile to home which is through a quiet residential area). Was your issue in D or DS? (or both??). I am booked in for a software upgrade on Wednesday, hopefully I'll get V17 as well (as I also had a couple of transmission slams...)
Old 06-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

awesome to hear....i have had this problem....and wasn't sure if it was a problem of me not "driving correctly" ...mine only happens in DS....so i tend to drive in D more often and only shift to DS when manually shifting vs having a TRUE DS where i can rev higher but without the "hang"......
so good to hear.....although i will try to wait on the upgrade till the MP3 playback in september....have both upgraded at the same time!!
cheers.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

CIP 17.01 also smoothed out my 545 shifting -- it's perfect now.

And better yet, it fixed the dreaded transmission slam.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

does this happen just on 545 or 530s as well?
thanks
charley
Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I believe the slam problem is only found in 545's. The transmissions are slightly different in the 6 cyl cars and they would have different software. So far, nobody with a 6 cyl car has posted anything about slam problems.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

so far so good for me too...too early for me to say the problem is fixed though / I'll give it a couple more weeks to be sure
Old 06-13-2005, 07:51 PM
RAI
Members

I was having this problem in both "D" and "DS" mode, but mostly in "D" because that's what I use 99% of the time.

It was irritating the hell out of me. I had earlier reported this to my SA, and they had done a complete software update for the transmission but it didn't help at all. That was software version 13.2 if I recall.

This last time, though, I had not even mentioned my transmission shifting- that wasn't on my service list at all. They were doing a software update for my active steering. But, when I picked up the car and drove it off, I couldn't believe it--the transmission shifting is now perfect! It's a huge difference; the 1/2 upshift at light throttle is now in the 1,200 to 1,500 rpm range instead of an interminable 3,000 rpm. But, if you get on the gas it'll hold gears to a much higher shift point, just like it's supposed to. I think the shifts are perhaps a bit crisper too, and still very, very smooth.

Anyway, it's a VERY welcome improvement, and I recommend it highly. Plus, version 17 seems to boot up faster and run faster as well.

Cheers,
RAI
Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

I have heard that you can only upgrade software up to 13 times. Is this correct? If this is the case, then we will have to be very careful with our choice of upgrades?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Hi RAI,

I'm glad to know that the software update fixed your problem. That is exactly the problem I'm complaining for (my car is a 535d) and since an update to cip 17.0 has been already scheduled, possibly I'm half-way to have it fixed!
BTW, i noticed it only in D, since when I put the trans in DS I'm used to push the throttle very hard, so I don't care about high revving!

Quick Reply: Software 17.0 fixed my transmission