E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Soft Door Close

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At LCI launch I noticed that this was now bundled into the UK "Luxury Pack".

Has anyone experience of this? Is it useful? Overkill?

What do you think?

ABC
Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='383194' date='Jan 25 2007, 01:09 PM
At LCI launch I noticed that this was now bundled into the UK "Luxury Pack".

Has anyone experience of this? Is it useful? Overkill?
I tried it in a 7 series...

As a stand-alone option there is no way I would pay anything for it (?850 here)
The way it works is you can still slam your door as normal (which is 99.9% of the time with me). It only kicks in when you don't close your door properly (then the motors will pull the door in fully).

So it is marginally useful (mostly for passengers) and definitely overkill.

If they are throwing it into the Luxury pack for 'free' then why not... but I wouldn't be ordering the luxury pack anyway I think (as I plan to go for Comfort Seats etc.)
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='383198' date='Jan 25 2007, 01:30 PM
If they are throwing it into the Luxury pack for 'free' then why not... but I wouldn't be ordering the luxury pack anyway I think (as I plan to go for Comfort Seats etc.)
Again in UK, but if Comfort Seats are ordered with the Luxury Pack, the price is "halved" (kind of).

ABC
Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have used it in a 7 series, and it was pretty nice...I hate when people slam my doors...with this I can be even more pissed
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='383198' date='Jan 25 2007, 08:30 AM
I tried it in a 7 series...

As a stand-alone option there is no way I would pay anything for it (?850 here)
The way it works is you can still slam your door as normal (which is 99.9% of the time with me). It only kicks in when you don't close your door properly (then the motors will pull the door in fully).

So it is marginally useful (mostly for passengers) and definitely overkill.

An overkill and one more thing to go wrong and needs fixing so BMW could charge you for it and for repairing it

Choosing options wisely pays off in the long run, like Active Cruise control & heated steering wheel for example, whilst they maybe essential to some they are not for most and those are the lucky majority who won't have to pay for the option or to fix it (if/when it goes wrong).

Although I appreciate the fact that we have plenty of luxury option choices nowadays, I do miss the good old days when cars where very reliable, simply because very few things could go wrong
Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='383248' date='Jan 25 2007, 03:55 PM
Again in UK, but if Comfort Seats are ordered with the Luxury Pack, the price is "halved" (kind of).
as BMW Ireland are essentially and off-shoot of BMW UK almost everything is the same... options, packages etc.
It is so similar one would be easily tricked into thinking it is the same just with much higher prices and in Euros.

Our Luxury pack has the same items... but the nuance is, as soon as you try to add Comfort Seats the luxury pack is removed. We don't get half price anything... just to get Ventilated Comfort Seats you are looking at 3 options (Nasca Leather=€3350, Ventilation=€1660, Comfort Seats=€2810). That's €7820 just for the seats -- welcome to the Celtic Tiger economy!

ABC, as I keep telling you... there are subtle regional differences and one shouldn't assume anything!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='383364' date='Jan 25 2007, 09:10 PM
ABC, as I keep telling you... there are subtle regional differences and one shouldn't assume anything!
YOU keep telling ME??

You may have noticed in my post, I prefaced my last post "AGAIN in UK...".

I find it interesting to compare regional differences. Presumably that's why you quote your local packages.

Incidentally, IIRC the Ventilated Comfort Seat configuration is the same in UK too.

ABC
Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='383389' date='Jan 25 2007, 10:02 PM
YOU keep telling ME??
You may have noticed in my post, I prefaced my last post "AGAIN in UK...".
I did notice that... I was taking the mickey...
sorry that you didn't get the 'joke'... must be my keyboard
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='383401' date='Jan 25 2007, 10:42 PM
I did notice that... I was taking the mickey...
sorry that you didn't get the 'joke'... must be my keyboard
AZERTY...??

Bless you!

As for taking the Mickey... how apposite!

ABC
Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Members

I think its a pretty good option if you have young children in car seats..

I have it on my S350 and basically when 8 month old daughter is in the backseat in her car seat and you close the door slightly harder, she gets a fright or if she's asleep, she'll wake up.

So with this function, you get to just close the door and let it latch on and the motor will do the rest.. I find it quite useful for that reason i suppose.

k3nny

Quick Reply: Soft Door Close