E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So the stealership called me today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was in for the following:

Coolant Leak

Brake Booster line recall fix

Possible Oil Leak

Here's what I was told...

Leak was coming from a hose connected to the radiator, as well as a small leak from the coolant resevoir. Stealership recommended replacing the coolant hoses/radiator hose, and the temp sensor since they were "highly worn". Cost: $247

Recall fix is done.

Oil leak:

A leak was found coming from the Valve Cover/Gasket. The advisor said they had to drop the sub-frame to get to the leak and replace the valve cover/gasket.

What do you guys think about the hoses/sensor replacement cost?

Also, what do you think about the sub-frame getting dropped to get to the engine and fix that oil leak? I'm very concerned now.. was hoping it was just some hoses but this sounds serious.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I remember there were threads about this, specifically with the V8 E60's. Do a search and you'll find abundance of information. But in a nutshell, yes, the subframe has to be dropped to get to that leak - if it is the leak I remember reading about.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

To camps on replacing the valve cover gaskets: Some say drop subframe (to lower engine so valve cover clears strut tower when removing), others say it can be done without dropping sub frame.

If you have the dealer do it, they are going to do it their way and they have the proper equipment to do it. Luckily, my VCG were replaced 2k miles before I purchased the car.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

$247.00 sounds reasonable. Let us know how much to replace the valve cover/gasket. Eventually all cars need that.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SFS550
My car was in for the following:

Coolant Leak

Brake Booster line recall fix

Possible Oil Leak

Here's what I was told...

Leak was coming from a hose connected to the radiator, as well as a small leak from the coolant resevoir. Stealership recommended replacing the coolant hoses/radiator hose, and the temp sensor since they were "highly worn". Cost: $247

Recall fix is done.

Oil leak:

A leak was found coming from the Valve Cover/Gasket. The advisor said they had to drop the sub-frame to get to the leak and replace the valve cover/gasket.

What do you guys think about the hoses/sensor replacement cost?

Also, what do you think about the sub-frame getting dropped to get to the engine and fix that oil leak? I'm very concerned now.. was hoping it was just some hoses but this sounds serious.
How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Contributors

I had my valve cover gasket replaced before and you do not have to drop the sub frame, but it would be much easier if you do so.