E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

so i wrecked my 550i :( totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i wrecked my 550i :( totaled?

So got into a wreck today anyway Im wondering if this is or isnt enough damage to total out as although i love the car i dont want it back after this.

Anyway front end impact at probably around 40 or so mph the drivers side airbag did deploy. its a 550i with msport and only a little over 22k mi .. worst thing is previous owner in stalled full dinan upgrades exhaust, intake, throttle body and engine software so it was a great find.

Im wondering if anyone can chime in here what they think the $$ amt of damage is/could be and or if anyone been through this with similar dmg.

Although i love the car its just about unsellable with a dirty carfax even if its pieced back together perfectly ... which we all know can never happen.

And yes im fine although the force of the impact did break a small bone in my hand which was on the steering wheel upon impact. im suprised it doesnt look alot worse they build these cars like tanks!
Name:  bmwpic.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  368.0 KB
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i'd imagine the drivers fender is messed up too? and i see fluid leaking. plus your airbag deployed, i'd guess the insurance co will total it and auction it off.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i'd imagine the drivers fender is messed up too? and i see fluid leaking. plus your airbag deployed, i'd guess the insurance co will total it and auction it off.
ya drivers fender is crunched up .. i hope they total it out so bad
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Sorry to hear and see your mishap. Looks like it was a pretty hard impact. Glad you were able to walk away with minor injuries.

I think that the car would be written-off as a total loss from the pictures and your description of the driver's side fender being shot.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Nah, I think they will fix it. Parts replaced will like be fender, front outer components, Bumper and inner bumper, Cooling system. Honestly, from what I see this is not that bad from a repair aspect. From your side it probably is because I would feel the way you do, I would just not want it anymore. Maybe after its fixed try and sell it quickly. Not sure how long it takes for carfax to show up. Just make sure when you do get it fixed that you use a certified BMW body shop. Yes, there are plenty of other capable and good shops, but a certified shop will most likely replace more parts that could be missed by a shop that is not so familiar with our cars. Don't forget to update us on this so we'll know what the outcome is.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

I dont think it will be totaled its gonna be like $6000+ though, the liquid on the floor is prolly from the windsheild washer reservoir on the drivers side right in front of the wheel well.

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 01-15-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Airbag deployment will almost automatically = Insurance total. If your auto insurance policy included the "optional" equipment they may include that in what they propose as a "TOTAL LOSS". Remember, Insurance adjusters usually are rewarded for reducing insurance settlements - NOT giving you what your car is or might be worth.

Looks like you rear-ended someone. Hopefully there were no personal injuries - were you ticketed?

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I am guessing it is totaled. There is alot more damage than meets the eye and more than just bolt on replacements. Damaged unibody components that require extensive, cutting, welding, paint work inside the enginen compartment and beyond. Easier and less risk for insurance companies to total car. But, the car is fixable and will show up on used market as salvaged title car.

If the insuranc company decides to fix, it will NOT have a salvaged title, but the incident will show up on Carfax (or other title checking companies).
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

This looks like it canbe fixed and will not be totaled out, the damage doesnt look to bad if your entire front was wrecked then i believe it will be a total loss. The value of your car is much higher than the damage from the accident. If it is totaled can i have the Dinan parts? LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

with such low miles, possibly not totalled. but looking at the front driver side aluminum rail, they go for 10000+ to fix just that as per BMW specs. It could be possible they will total it with other parts. Make sure it's per BMW specs. Anyone can just weld the aluminum by rigging it. It's not safe and will be cheap

Quick Reply: so i wrecked my 550i :( totaled?