E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So confused about Ipod install please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just get the iPod with the FM tranceiver and play it through your stereo? The quality is great and it's alot simpler to set up. PLUS...you can take it anywhere. BELKIN makes a few of them for $79
Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by simmer' post='695503' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:57 AM
Why not just get the iPod with the FM tranceiver and play it through your stereo? The quality is great and it's alot simpler to set up. PLUS...you can take it anywhere. BELKIN makes a few of them for $79
You're joking, right? FM modulators are horrible.
will
Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='694401' date='Oct 15 2008, 08:30 PM
I have a 2005 545i non nav with cd changer and 1 slot cd in the dash. I can not play mp3 cds at all. I took my car to the dealer for a "flash/firmware" upgrade to correct some rough idle issues. I asked the sa to enable mp3 playback for me an he told me that he couldn't because I the sib that I gave him that I found on this site about enabling mp3 was for cars with nav. So I have decided to do the ipod install. The dealer wants 600 for (parts/labor) for the ipod install. I have read the tutorial on this site about how to do the ipod install yourself. It seems pretty self explanatory and easy. However since my car doesn't play mp3 cds, even if I do the install is there something else the dealer will have to do to make it work?
I have a 2004 non nav car and I had the ipod adapter installed. I did not have the cd changer, so the dealer had to program my car to recognize the ipod adapter. What it does is actually recognize the ipod adapter as if it was a cd changer. If you already have the cd changer, it is my understanding that you can install the ipod adapter and it will work without a trip to the dealer. Do a search on this board. A lot of posts dealt with this exact situation.

Just for a reference, my install cost was $575, which included the cost of the ipod adapter. I did get some lower quotes, as low as $450, but since my car was already at the dealer and I wanted to get it done, I had them go ahead.

Hopes this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kali4nia58' post='695253' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:37 PM
hey 545insc...i just had the same problem just two weeks ago. i took the SIB to my dealer and they did the mp3 update. i dont have nav. however, they may have inabled the ipod from functioning because when i installed the interface myself it did not work. i had to go back to the dealer to have them update the idrive so i could use the ipod. they charged me $125 for that. it took about an hour or two. i waited in the lounge.

hope that helps.

That is the thing. I took the sib that I found on here and they said that the mp3 could be done. Maybe I took the wrong one because they said the one I provided was for cars with nav. Do you happen to know what SIB you took to them? I am sure I can install it myself, I am thinking about calling Gary from Newport and seeing how much he will charge for the actual hardware.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

It can be done I have a first run 530 8/03 production and I have intergrated bluetooth which they said could not be done I also have the ipod intergration done no nav no cd changer was even there, I did have cd prewire though cost me 75 bucks for the tech to install the unit and program it.

It only cost that because he wanted me to write up a ticket in case he had to open a puma case and could warrenty the work if something went wrong

It can be done and now by the way I can play mp3's in the dash cd slot
Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by lospice1' post='695249' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:29 PM
If your car is still in warranty, you can get the mp3 retrofit for free...do a search. Then get the dension gateway 500 from fantastic5(member) and install it yourself(aagain do a search for the instructions). The dension is much better than bmw ipod adapter..It's a pretty easy install.
Will
Will, how long have you had your Dension installed, and have you had any problems with the unit?

I want to get my iPod connected to my car, but undecided on which one to get. I know that you get a lot more options with the Dension, but I also read where people have had issues with their IDrive systems locking up. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Mitch
Old 10-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Members

Will the dension gateway 500 work with a 2005 545i non nav with a changer? It is not listed in the compatibility chart on the denison website. It says year 2004 -2004 and it also says non text compatible ( whatever that means)

http://www.dension.com/oem1.php
Old 10-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by MitchBMW' post='697136' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:05 PM
Will, how long have you had your Dension installed, and have you had any problems with the unit?

I want to get my iPod connected to my car, but undecided on which one to get. I know that you get a lot more options with the Dension, but I also read where people have had issues with their IDrive systems locking up. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Mitch
I've had it for about a month with no problems. The install is straight forward and it has unlimited potential..ipod or usb hard drive. It is a little more expensive than bmw's but there is no song limitation and the access is just like theipod...even better actually, b/c there is a function where you can search by alphabet. eme if you have any q's.
Will
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='697183' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:47 PM
Will the dension gateway 500 work with a 2005 545i non nav with a changer? It is not listed in the compatibility chart on the denison website. It says year 2004 -2004 and it also says non text compatible ( whatever that means)

It will work as long as you have a CD changer. There are two dip switch settings, one for CD text one for non text. By the way there are more than one software programs available for download thru the usb. I am using about a year old version. I believe it is version 2.03 It does not allow searching for songs thru the idrive but it does allow iPod control and track up and down. Also it is more reliable than version 2.02 which did allow some limited searching in gateway mode vs manual mode but that mode caused non recognition errors and battery drain errors ( sometimes ) My car is an E60 545 01/04
Old 11-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='697183' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:47 PM

In case you are still interested, 'non-text' means you will just see 'track 1, track 2', rather than the actual track names, as you would see on your iPod screen.

Quick Reply: So confused about Ipod install please help