E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So BMW decided to can the TT on the new 535s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
TMQ
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

I agree, BMW can't seem to figure out the HPFP issue. I'm sure they've worked hard for the N55 design and all the parts around it - hey, I guess we'll find out soon enough if they've learned something.

Regarding the is versions, several things have been upgraded and who know, maybe the fuel pump design too.

BMW reliability has not been a plus in the U.S. market. Look at Consumer Reports' surveys. If BMW reliability gets close to the level of Honda, they will get a lot more buyers.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

it's unfortunate the hpfp has so many members weary of the N54 engine...As said in another thread....there are a good number of 535i owners that have not had any issues with their hpfp

again, I think online forum reporting is biased as all you will read is BAD experiences....

even here, it's the same 2 or three members that comment about the hpfp and their experiences with it....

I'm confident in BMW's ability to produce a strong FI powered engine, I have no reservations about the upcoming new models and engines...I'd even buy another 535i if it wasn't for my personal preferences about new models
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
it's unfortunate the hpfp has so many members weary of the N54 engine...As said in another thread....there are a good number of 535i owners that have not had any issues with their hpfp

again, I think online forum reporting is biased as all you will read is BAD experiences....

even here, it's the same 2 or three members that comment about the hpfp and their experiences with it....

I'm confident in BMW's ability to produce a strong FI powered engine, I have no reservations about the upcoming new models and engines...I'd even buy another 535i if it wasn't for my personal preferences about new models
Has there been a poll on here about who has OR has not the HPFP issue...??
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Allen
Has there been a poll on here about who has OR has not the HPFP issue...??
perhaps

I think members that haven't had any problems would be hesitant to take part in the poll tho, as to not jinx themselves
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS

Every one knows there are tons of N54 owners that have no problems, and there are also more than a hand full that don't get on here that do have problems... it goes both ways...
N54

I've seen many nay sayers change their tune when it happens to them in other forums....I don't wish it to happen to any N54 owner, it really sucks. Dealing with a Lemon law or Buy back is even worse. Not many people that do go threw it stick with the brand...

Not all is well with the N54, and I'm refusing to bash any one for their beliefs or opinions, I'm not going down that road.It's your right to do that. I just want to point out to people that there are issues, and some times it's not the best decision to buy a N54 powered car that was bought back for HPFP issues/fuel pump issues according to a CarFaq.
If New great... 80-90% chance right now ( according to engineers and and master mechanics at two dealers I've spoke with)that nothing will ever happen. What about the other 10-20%? I had not even heard of the HPFP when I got my 535i ( why?cause no one had told me of the issues that they were having). At that point I was ecstatic that I got an E60 that hauled @$$ and I did not get an E87. Hell I had 8000 totally problem free miles and it was AWESOME!

It's the same as some one buying a N52 powered car that was bought back for the valve lifter issue, it obviously was not good enough for some one else, so why do you want to deal with the potential problems, yeah it could be totality fixed and a sweet deal, but what if it is not, are you ok with going to the dealer potentially more frequently than the oil changes for the car?

I loved my 535i I really do miss it.. a bunch . I got better gas mileage in town, had gobs of power , and I could get the ARS on it...GOBS of POWER .... just that any time I'd step on it on the high way it was a coin toss if it would be there at command... and I was always paranoid of the dreaded "long crank" every morning on the start up. My 530 wagon is Slow/er... it's got tons of room, my wife will actually drive it, looks cool, its rare, has AWD for the once every 3 years snow, and gets crazy gas mileage on the highway, and even though it caused me heart ache the panoramic roof is awesome too, makes the car seem so open.

No offense you should not have to 2nd guess a potentiality $60k car....
Lets hope the N55 resolves all the issues and leave it at that. Maybe on the 7 try the engineers got the pump correct on the N54....
Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by craigm1841
I think he meant rice as in "ricer" because mitsubishi makes "ricers" like the eclipse. I don't think it was an Asian joke or a derogitory statement. At least that is how I took it.
Agreed, but still somewhat derogatory. Mitsubishi doesn't make "ricers", it's the people that turn them into "ricers".

Also in regards to Toyota, yes they are suffering from major recalls and have posted big recent losses but their MKIV Supra is Legend... wait for it... Dairy! For a non-exotic or historic car, it's resale value is remarkable and by far the highest. The engine was bulletproof and boost to the max was of no worry. Boost a smidgen of what the Supra can hold in a 535 or 335 and watch the fireworks blow!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I haven't had the HPFP issue or the turbo lag/rattle issue. Its been a great car and I have all of the "sport" options-active steering, sport auto, sports package. The engine is the best part.
Mitsubishi has been making turbos for many years and supplys them to many manufacturers.
My only complaint is that the turbo whine and exhaust note is too quiet! The turbo whine in my 300 ZX Turbo was fantastic sounding.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

My HPFP didn't fail, but it was showing signs of "I'm about to check out". I was getting mad hesitation - when on WOT in seconde gear, the car would jump back and forth like someone was modulating the throttle. Since getting the HPFP replaced (about 20,000km) no issues. A friend with 335 Dinan Stage II (not that I'm applying that Dinan is at fault) went through 3 HPFP under warranty. My whole ordeal with fixing the chatterring wastegates would have costed me 6K at the dealer if I didn't have warranty. All in all, its a great car, but it comes with problems. I do intend to keep it until she dies, and then swap a 535d motor in.

Just recently I went to a VW dealership to look at the Golf VI as a potential second car. Although Golf VI was dubbed World Car of the Year, and the price is $35,000CDN, I don't think I could live with the squeeks and rattles that will develop. The "thud" sound you get after closing E61's door gives me this feeling of bein locked in a vault. The quietness of the cabin, awesome handling, power and brakes (BTW I'm still on factory brakes at 50,000km ... hasn't happen to any car I've owned) is enough for me.

I just hope my car will love me as much as I love it, and won't break my bank down the road.

Lets wait and see what (if any) the F10 N55's issues will be, then we will see if "A company full of ideas" has learned anything new from major screw ups in the past.

Speaking of the Supra; If you have some $$$ laying around, and you want the best bang-for-the-buck, and reliability you can get. I have a great mechanic who knows these cars like his own hand. I can push 600-800whp with minor modifications, but I will settle of 500whp with zero lag ... check back with me in about 2 years on that one.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have Dinan Stage II and no problems. When anything is new there is more of a chance for consumer problems. I have had four five series and the 1997 and 2004, both first year redesigns, had many problems; my 2002 and 2008 had few or no problems over their three year leases. The 335's had more problems with the N54 engine because they got it first.
I waited for the Sports Auto and Platnimum Bronze color, so I didn't get the very first N54's in a five which still may have had teething issues carried over from the 335.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by 325/528
The switch to a single turbo is only due to emissions requirements. It has nothing to do with long term reliability. If it were a reliability problem, they wouldn't be continuing with the turbos for any of the upcoming models.
+1 I guess most of the posters don't read the write up by BMW.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: So BMW decided to can the TT on the new 535s