E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

snow tires - how good are they on the 2wd models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009 | 05:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1070178' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:44 AM
Another scenario, is they make enough of a difference that in some places in Canada it is the law to have to have snow tires on your vehicle in the winter.
Yea I didn't mention this but in Quebec they have this law now, and are thinking about it out in Nova Scotia as well. Last year in Ontario there was a big shortage because the Tire companies didn't forecast properly for that law, I assume.
Old 12-08-2009 | 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by JW-BENZ' post='1070184' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:56 AM
Yea I didn't mention this but in Quebec they have this law now, and are thinking about it out in Nova Scotia as well. Last year in Ontario there was a big shortage because the Tire companies didn't forecast properly for that law, I assume.
That's a good idea. They should do the same in the Northeast of the USA. Having said that, I don't have snow tires and my E60 XI never ceases to amaze me in snow. I can't even imagine how much better it would be with snows.
Old 12-10-2009 | 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2008 535i Black Sapphire w/Black Dakota Ltr., 17
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1070178' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:44 AM
I never used to use snow tires until I bought my first bmw, and the only reason I decided to try was becasue I had bought aftermarket wheels and had an extra set of rims laying around. After having snow tires I can say that I don't think I will ever go without snow tires anymore. The difference is huge, you notice it most in stopping distance. Another scenario, is they make enough of a difference that in some places in Canada it is the law to have to have snow tires on your vehicle in the winter.
+1

We just had the first snow fall in the Toronto area yesterday and I had no problem making it through the unplowed side streets with rear wheel drive and 4 snows. Passed many front wheel drive cars that were "beached" on the snowbanks created from the plows clearing the major streets as they entered or exited the side streets and driveways. Have driven rear wheel drive BMW's since 1994 and have never been stuck. I was a little concerned before I went out because this is the first automatic that I have ever owned but the car passed with flying colors.

Winter tires should be mandatory.
Old 12-10-2009 | 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 Porsche Cayman S. Black on Black with Black tint. Sport (thicker) steering wheel, Heated Sport Seats, OEM Short Shifter, Clear Engine Cover. [b][u]SOLD! '08 550i 6SPD, Alpine White w/ OEM Carbon Fiber, Perforated Black leather, Anthracite Bamboo Trim[/u] full Sports Package with OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters and Diffuser, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, BMW Professional Nav, Heated/Ventilated 20 way Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Split Rear Seats, Comfort Access, iPod, PIAA Fog Lights, Xenon Match Interior Lighting, 12mm Rear Spacers, Gloss Black Model Designation, Carbon Fiber Door Pillar Covers, AngeliBrights (temporary set in place), ACS Style CF Diffuser, RDSport Quad conversion. RPI scoop (black) [u]2000 Z3 Coupe 2.8, Topaz Blue, Black Leather, Walnut Trim[/u] Koni Adjustable's w/ Racing Dynamics springs (1.75" drop), UUC LTW FW, E39 M5 Clutch, Wilwood Big Brakes, UUC Motorworks SSK, Rogue Engineering Big Boy Clutch Stop, Rogue Engineering Pulleys, EuroSport CF CAI, Sharked, Hawk HP+ Pads, Hamman Side Outlet Vents, ACS Type 3 18"s(replica) and 1000w pumping through a JL10W6[/b]

Living in southern Germany, it's a requirement to have at least All Season M/S tires. I run the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and haven't had any issues in the snow. I don't hesitate to drive down in to Austria to go snowboarding either. Now, if there's a blizzard forecasted I might think twice but for everyday driving I think a set of snow tires makes all the difference!