E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which tire should i go??
Snow Tires
59.09%
Winter Tires
40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Snow tires or All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... so virginia is getting snow way often now... and even though we dont get that much but bc they do not have equipments to clean up, it takes a while to plow the street....

so i am thinking about getting some snow tires... but at the same time thinking about getting all season tire.... so i need suggestion what i should do....

get winter tires or all season for my 124??

or get all season tire for my 20"

please give me some input... thanks...
Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

sorry first poll was supposed to be snow tire vs all season tire
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I'm deciding between going with Nankangs SV1's on my stock 18's and Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on my 20's or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Ultra High Performance All-Season tires all around. Both scenarios would cost about the same (~$1200), so, for me, it's going to come down to which I think has more value considering 2 things:

1. Which scenario will give me the most overall tire wear
2. How do I really feel about changing hot 20's out for the busted stock wheels :-)

I really like the looks of my 20's, but riding on them - even with all-season tires - is definitely risky in the snow. Since VDOT apparently only owns 2 plow trucks for the state, when it snows (even only a couple or 3 inches) it stays around until it melts. I haven't fully decided yet, but I'm leaning with the dual setup. My plan would be to take the 20's from March-Thanksgiving then run the winter setup (245/40 18 all around ) from Dec-Easter.

I have a feeling the snow around here is going to get worse before it gets better...I could've stayed in NY for all this mess - sheesh.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Hey man, I just posted a new topic about my Continental extreme contact DWS, hope it helps!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Depending on where you live in Virginia it could be either all-season (North east VA) or dedicated snows (if you live in the hilly country / mountains). Blacksburg can have very different weather than McLean.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

well... now i m debating if i should put all season tire on my 20" or snow tires on my 18"... if i put new tires on 18" i am gonna sell re050 rtf that is practically brand new...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Depending on where you live in Virginia it could be either all-season (North east VA) or dedicated snows (if you live in the hilly country / mountains). Blacksburg can have very different weather than McLean.
For me, it's not really the weather so much as the fact that the roads simply don't get cleared in any decent amount of time when it does snow. Even when they are "cleared" it's not down to the pavement. It seems they try to save the blades on the bottom of the plow by not going all the way to the pavement, so we wind up with nice packed in ice-snow for our roadbed - it's like driving on a bobsled course.

IMO, it's just shows the lack of experience the VA Dept of Trans has with being able to deal with any snow whatsoever. I lived most of my adult life in the NE (NYC and NE PA) and NEVER had to resort to using anything but an all-season tire. Living here in VA I've actually had thoughts of getting a used 4x4 for winter driving. It's that bad sometimes.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Victory
For me, it's not really the weather so much as the fact that the roads simply don't get cleared in any decent amount of time when it does snow. Even when they are "cleared" it's not down to the pavement. It seems they try to save the blades on the bottom of the plow by not going all the way to the pavement, so we wind up with nice packed in ice-snow for our roadbed - it's like driving on a bobsled course.

IMO, it's just shows the lack of experience the VA Dept of Trans has with being able to deal with any snow whatsoever. I lived most of my adult life in the NE (NYC and NE PA) and NEVER had to resort to using anything but an all-season tire. Living here in VA I've actually had thoughts of getting a used 4x4 for winter driving. It's that bad sometimes.
I can relate to your experience. I learned how to drive in Upstate New York winters. The equipment and knowledge of the operators made winter driving a lot easier after a heavy snow than what I have to deal with in now Southern NJ after even a minor winter event. Add the lack of experience of many drivers and winter travel becomes a real trip!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I can relate to your experience. I learned how to drive in Upstate New York winters. The equipment and knowledge of the operators made winter driving a lot easier after a heavy snow than what I have to deal with in now Southern NJ after even a minor winter event. Add the lack of experience of many drivers and winter travel becomes a real trip!
yeah i have been driving fwd in boston through blizzard bunch of times... so i know how to drive in snow.. the problem is other people do not know how to drive here... and since they dont clean the road i am thinking baout getting snow tire or all season... i cannot make up my mind
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Conti DWS FTW!!