E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='749155' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:03 PM
For the record, snow doesn't suck. I feel bad for the unfortunate souls that do not get to experience its beauty and the fun and challenging drive.
In the northeast, we get to develop driving skills unmatched by those that do not have the good fortune of driving in snow. Some of those skills can be real life savers in gravel and sand driving. We all know what hot and sticky is like, but only some of us get to experience the beauty that is snow. Ice driving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I really feel sorry for the folks with year round warm climate. Sorry, your loss......
I have to say, you have summarized my thoughts today, as I drove about 60 miles of interstate in the heavy snow. While I saw cars and tractor trailers both off the road, I motored along without much of an issue on my Dunlop M3 snow tires. Anyone who lives in this region, and has developed the skill necessary for this type of driving, has learned to enjoy the experience of driving in these conditions.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

lol I was slidding like hell very scary. Actually my car was temporarily stuck near the Koskusko? Bridge I tried to accelerate and all it did was spin the tires. I had to shuffle the wheel left and right and light accelerate to get momentum to get going again. Very scary. Though I do love how people thought I was retarded and just started cutting me up left and right
Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Piloti' post='749183' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:36 PM
I have to say, you have summarized my thoughts today, as I drove about 60 miles of interstate in the heavy snow. While I saw cars and tractor trailers both off the road, I motored along without much of an issue on my Dunlop M3 snow tires. Anyone who lives in this region, and has developed the skill necessary for this type of driving, has learned to enjoy the experience of driving in these conditions.

I agree with all of your sentiments...

I'm just glad I got the $75k MSRP beast back to the stable in one piece!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='749174' date='Dec 19 2008, 07:51 PM
Well said! Unless I'm there for the skiing, I'll pass on the "thrill" of driving in the snow. Even if it is "the most fun you can have with your clothes on"...
Shoveling today's 13" snowfall out our 100+ft. driveway did suck; but, though winter driving can be a challenge, I find driving in the snow to be nothing more than an inconvenience. Though three score years of winter driving experience (starting with a '47 Studebaker and a set of chains) does help, building some extra time into winter trips, allowing greater distance when following other cars, using dedicated winter tires and having a great X drive system such as that on my Touring are some of the real secrets to mastering winter roads here in the midwest.
Al T.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

ya I hate driving in the snow... I have learned my leasons over time...

Car is in the garage and not coming out any time soon.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

why when is snow (30 inch). if you press the gas pedal qiuck and hard i get on bord a triangle sign with a exclamation sign !!!

i press the gass pedal and the RPM STAY under 2000?!?!?

so i had to have some push from my friends...

why i can just press the gas and the car to sprint...in the snow..
Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Al T.' post='749205' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:27 PM
Shoveling today's 13" snowfall out our 100+ft. driveway did suck; but, though winter driving can be a challenge, I find driving in the snow to be nothing more than an inconvenience. Though three score years of winter driving experience (starting with a '47 Studebaker and a set of chains) does help, building some extra time into winter trips, allowing greater distance when following other cars, using dedicated winter tires and having a great X drive system such as that on my Touring are some of the real secrets to mastering winter roads here in the midwest.
Al T.
I have driven many times in snow and agree, generally it is nothing more than an inconvenience. And learning to drive in it does teach some important lessons on handling your car, but living in regions with frequent snow is just not my cup of tea. The driveway shoveling alone is reason enough in my book!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535 xi, HUD, Mtech body kit, Dinan software upgrade, loaded, need some nice wheels :)

not a problem, cruising right by the 4x4 SUV's in my 535xi "the ultimate "snow" driving machine"
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

Pacific northwest is in a freeze, and snow/ice on local roads are usually left to melt only.

Snow is OK, ice is scary. Yesterday I drove a 4WD SUV with good all season tires and slid right through a stop sign. Luckily no accident. This convinces me that winter tires are a must for BMW in areas with snow/ice conditions. AWD/4WD just won't help with stopping distance. I hope people don't learn this lesson the hard way.

Of course, gotta watch for all the others out there sliding on all season tires. Winter is an annoying season.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='749309' date='Dec 20 2008, 04:45 AM
Pacific northwest is in a freeze, and snow/ice on local roads are usually left to melt only.

Snow is OK, ice is scary. Yesterday I drove a 4WD SUV with good all season tires and slid right through a stop sign. Luckily no accident. This convinces me that winter tires are a must for BMW in areas with snow/ice conditions. AWD/4WD just won't help with stopping distance. I hope people don't learn this lesson the hard way.

Of course, gotta watch for all the others out there sliding on all season tires. Winter is an annoying season.
I agree.. All season's can't handle for crap in icy / snowy conditions.

Winter tires all the way!

As for winter sucking... Some parts it does, but for snowboarding, its awesome!

Quick Reply: Snow SUCKS!