E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smoother Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

My 550 came back from the dealer today. It has a new Trans Module and they also tell me newer transmission software. All I can say is wow - the shifting is silky smooth. Prior to the repair, the shifting was much more noticeable. It wasn't necessarily harsh but it wasn't super smooth. It would sometimes be a bit abrupt and sometimes hold longer than expected before shifting.

I am curious as to if it was the trans module or software that made the bigger difference. Regardless, it is a night and day difference! Too bad my commute is under 4 miles - I am looking forward to driving again
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

I wish my commute was 4 miles . Its 18 miles.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

I'm a little disappointed with the E60 transmission. I have a V8 540i and the 1st/2nd gears are pretty harsh.

Other than that, the transmission doesn't understand what I'm up to.

Say you want to accelerate quickly but not with full throttle - but that's impossible. The transmission is keeping the 5th/6th gear to save fuel during normal conditions, but you have to push the pedal really deep to force the downshift to 2nd/3rd gear, which results in too aggressive acceleration which you didn't intend. On the other hand, if you don't push enough, it is not downshifting which results in dead mouse acceleration, huge fuel consumption, and embarrassing engine noise with zero effect.

So I'm pretty interested in the results you're describing. Why did you visit the dealer in the first place? What did you ask for? Why did you change the Trans module?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Members

so did you take it to the dealer and report a problem? Just curious if i can get the new transmission software. I have an 08 550i.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Members

Cant comment on the new Software, but I did perform a manual reset of the transmission as described in the forum and it made a difference for me. I can tell it shifts at different points and feels better.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by evets
Cant comment on the new Software, but I did perform a manual reset of the transmission as described in the forum and it made a difference for me. I can tell it shifts at different points and feels better.

where did you find this info?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brockjhammer
where did you find this info?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/400...moother-shift/
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Members

awesome thanks man!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by kreveta
So I'm pretty interested in the results you're describing. Why did you visit the dealer in the first place? What did you ask for? Why did you change the Trans module?
A few weeks ago my steptronic stopped downshifting. That is, if I threw the car into "sport" and tried to downshift manually it wouldn't work. I brought the car into the shop and they said they replaced a part in the "shifter". The car worked fine for two days -then I pulled out of my garage and the iDrive had a message that read "Transmission Failure". At that point the shifter "locked" and I could only shift by pulling up the shifter boot and pressing the "release" with a screw driver (this procedure is in the owner's manual.)

I had the car towed and they replaced the trans module. So far, so good and I hope it continues this well!