E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smoke out of the kidney grill's

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

So over the winter when I beat the shit out of my car, I notice that sometimes smoke will come out of the grills. Is this something that is normal. I took it to the dealer and they said that its like when people breathe and it causes the smoke. Not sure if this is BS or not...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC 19 INCH RIMS SPORTS SUSPENSION SPORTS SEATS,DVD PLAYER,SPORTS STEERIN WHEEL, FULL ELECTRICS, REAR SPORTS SPOILER

Originally Posted by ryanlemek' post='855000' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:34 PM
So over the winter when I beat the shit out of my car, I notice that sometimes smoke will come out of the grills. Is this something that is normal. I took it to the dealer and they said that its like when people breathe and it causes the smoke. Not sure if this is BS or not...
Why beat the shit out of your car in the first place? Gees ?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robert530i' post='855002' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:41 PM
Why beat the shit out of your car in the first place? Gees ?
I have an image in my mind of John Cleese beating the shit out of his broken down car with a branch from a tree (in Fawlty Towers).

...and thanks to google image search that image is materialized :-)

Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC 19 INCH RIMS SPORTS SUSPENSION SPORTS SEATS,DVD PLAYER,SPORTS STEERIN WHEEL, FULL ELECTRICS, REAR SPORTS SPOILER

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='855011' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:48 PM
I have an image in my mind of John Cleese beating the shit out of his broken down car with a branch from a tree (in Fawlty Towers).

...and thanks to google image search that image is materialized :-)

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Love Fawlty Towers!! Was an awesome programme!

As for your problem Ryan, if smoke is coming out your kidney grills, then NO that isn't normal! However, if it's steam, then that maybe normal. But i've never seen it happen on my BMW's over the years. I think you should get it looked at personally. How/Why did you beat the shit out of your car then!?!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='855020' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:00 AM
Love Fawlty Towers!! Was an awesome programme!

As for your problem Ryan, if smoke is coming out your kidney grills, then NO that isn't normal! However, if it's steam, then that maybe normal. But i've never seen it happen on my BMW's over the years. I think you should get it looked at personally. How/Why did you beat the shit out of your car then!?!

Haha its not like I really beat it. But the normal high rev, turning off the traction and doing some slides in the snow... all that. when I stop then I see all this smoke come out. I have had the car since new and it never happened but now that its a bit older I was not sure what was going on... Maybe its time to trade it in for a 335i coupe??? haha
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Is it constantly coming out?? If so, it's probably your rad. Only needs to have a small hole in there for it to produce the steam. It probably isn't smoke though dude.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ryanlemek' post='855000' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:34 AM

Kind of weird, I logged on and just posted a similar question w/out reading down the threads!

My 'steam' is occasional, it does not happen EVERY time it rains or was snow and I also haven't beat the daylights out of the car either though. I had a pressure test done on the radiator (suggested already), suggest you do the same perhaps a powerslide etc (very fun in the snow I have to admit) tweaked the radiator or bracket and made a crack (but then the smoke -steam- would be constant whenever the car heats up...) Interested in checking these threads for suggestions later though.....
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i Silver Grey (A08)

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='855052' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:31 AM
Kind of weird, I logged on and just posted a similar question w/out reading down the threads!

My 'steam' is occasional, it does not happen EVERY time it rains or was snow and I also haven't beat the daylights out of the car either though. I had a pressure test done on the radiator (suggested already), suggest you do the same perhaps a powerslide etc (very fun in the snow I have to admit) tweaked the radiator or bracket and made a crack (but then the smoke -steam- would be constant whenever the car heats up...) Interested in checking these threads for suggestions later though.....
Haha, I was about to say...... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=75532&hl=
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

it is most likely steam. hopefully it is wet out and the radiator is just burning off water. if you have a leak in your radiator that can cause it too. i left a car wash the other day after hosing my radiator off pretty well and got behind a clean black suv (where i could see the reflection very well). my kidneys were steaming and the halos were on, my car looked like some sort of angry monster

Quick Reply: Smoke out of the kidney grill's