E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke

okay i've heard a few time about BMW's smoking while idling for a few mins and mine has started doing it. i do alot of off highway driving but our roads down here are 55+ and i'm not easy on the car at all but i do drive short distances (6 miles to work) and i heard thats the problem. but what sucks is wife going into store for a min car idling for 5-10 mins (down south so a/c needs to be on lol) and when i look in my mirror freak'n car smoking a little..hit gas and a ploom of smoke comes out. as soon as i clear it out once it doesn't ever do it...well till next time it sits and idles for a time....how can i fix it....please help
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Need more info about this. Model, year.
I can tell just if it's V8 (4.4L) then vale seals or worse valve guides; I6 - then oil separator, if I6 3.5 Turbo, then carbon builds on intake valve that cause oil leak to cylinder.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Members

sorry 2007 550i. now if it was valve seals or somthing like that would happen all the time not just randomly even sitting at a light i'd get it which isn't the case. I remember somthing about a crank case vent or somthing like that that causes this and it get's built up and this occures when drive only short distantes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles and what is your oil change interval?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Members

87k roughly and i bought car with 83,900. planning on doing an oil change as anyone can reset it so
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Members

bump
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

so try to change crank case vent valve it's cheap, but I would not hope for this a lot. You can find on youtube DIY
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul-g
87k roughly and i bought car with 83,900. planning on doing an oil change as anyone can reset it so
You can try Phlfly's recommendation, but with that many miles and a probable 15K oil change history, you're looking at new valve stem seals/guides. $$$$
My brother in law put some heavier oil and some Lucas Stop Leak crap in his POS 2002 745i w 200K miles and it actually stopped smoking! It was like it had a built-in smoke screen like James Bond before that. I don't readily recommend that, but...

Last edited by Jim165; 10-05-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Members

mine never smokes at start up, or everyday driving but if i sit and idle while waiting for wife in store after 5-10mins is will starts to do it so that's why i don't think it is valuve stem seals. and to be honest it it was the seals it definatly would do it more often i would think, specially sitting at a stop light or at start up.

i'm changing oil next week and see what happenes i'll also do the vent valve hope it's easy to do
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Jim165
You can try Phlfly's recommendation, but with that many miles and a probable 15K oil change history, you're looking at new valve stem seals/guides. $$$$
My brother in law put some heavier oil and some Lucas Stop Leak crap in his POS 2002 745i w 200K miles and it actually stopped smoking! It was like it had a built-in smoke screen like James Bond before that. I don't readily recommend that, but...
He's right - chances are you're looking at worn stem seals or guides. During your normal driving, any oil leakage is burned off quickly. You won't notice the relative small amounts as it reults in little to no smoke. However, when idling, you'll begin pooling oil. After a few minutes you get your James Bond effect. It's an increasingly common issue on the N62B44 (x45 series), and starting to show on some N62B48s (x550 series). Mine has 182k and will do the same after several minutes of idle now.

Quick Reply: smoke