E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smog Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Here is the summary of the results:

Comprehensive Visual Inspection: PASS

Functional Check: FAIL

Emission Test: PASS

The functional check failed due to : MIL/Check Engine Light.
The check engine light was not on during, before and after the smog test was done. I drove the car for 30 minutes on the freeway before I had the smog test. My car idles and run very smooth.

I had the SES light on and cleared it yesterday with the Bavarian Code Reader/Resetter(reads both OBD-II and properietary BMW Codes).
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Is there another tool that I can buy to clear this problem? Do I have to take the car to the dealer to find out why the smog test machine failed me on the "functional Check"?

Any inputs or info is greatly appreciated!!!

Have a great day.

D
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

What was the code? did you write it down before it was cleared?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hi Allen,

The code was 29D0: Misfire detection cyinder 4 in 3. Ignition sequence.

I have changed six new spark plugs, two new ignition coils and also interchanged them.

Thank you,

D
Originally Posted by healthservices
What was the code? did you write it down before it was cleared?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Contributors

And the same code popped back up?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Allen,

Although today's second smog test failed for the same reason, the code has not pop up, thus far.

However the same code did pop up several times this month on "start up only" (usually early in the morning or evening). As soon as I cleared them, they don't pop up while I drive.

I checked the spark plugs tips on cylinder 2, 3 and 4 and they were dry and clean.

Thanks,

[quote name='healthservices' timestamp='1334806147' post='1436211
And the same code popped back up?
[/quote]
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Which motor do you have? What year? Is the coil boot all oily? How many miles on the motor?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

I don't know if this is relevant, but the Smog Test Station that I took my car to used to be a repair shop. I think they changed it to a Smog Test Station just recently. The first time when he did the test, he did not know how to turn off the DTC for the dyno test. We had to call the the BMW dealer to walk us through that step...

Is the "functional check" something the Smog Technician enters manually or does the machine detects it "automatically"???
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Allen,

It's a 2006 530i(N52). It has 70,400 miles. The coil boots are nice and dry. The thread around the spark plugs are oily, but not the tips.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by healthservices
Which motor do you have? What year? Is the coil boot all oily? How many miles on the motor?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60I
Is the "functional check" something the Smog Technician enters manually or does the machine detects it "automatically"???
Generally speaking the funtional check is

1. Engine Ignition Timing Not checked on your car because it is done by the computer
2. Check Engine Light
3. Gas Cap & Filler Neck
4. Exhaust Recirculation Valve (EGR)
5. Fuel EVAP Test (LPFET)

I suspect you failed 2. because you either had a code and a light or the computer did not complete all readiness tests yet. IE you cannot just clear the codes and run in to do the smog, the computer must do all the test to make sure the car is ready to go. This can take 40-600 miles to do. They have to tell you what part of the "functional check" failed. Does it specify on you test?

here is something I copied and pasted

OBDII "Readiness Flags" Test: Your 1996 and newer car, truck, van, SUV, or motorhome will not pass the smog test if certain "readiness flags" are not set. Some "check engine" related failures don't illuminate the check engine light, but do cause smog check failures. These faults are referred to as "readiness flag" faults. Readiness flags indicate that certain emissions systems which the OBD II computer has been monitoring have passed internal self monitoring tests, indicating that those systems are working properly. If the smog machine detects that there are certain readiness flags which have not set, the data will be relayed to the smog machine and your vehicle will fail the smog test.

In order to set all the proper Readiness Flags the OBDII system must complete at least one good drive cycle (in some cases two or three). A good drive cycle is a sequence of passing internal tests which the OBDII computer runs while your vehicle is being driven. This insures all emissions systems are functioning properly. A drive cycle usually requires one to two weeks of ordinary everyday driving.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Contributors

Also check your warranty book I'm not sure on your model year but the emissions system must be warrantied for 7 years or 100k which ever runs out first.

Quick Reply: Smog Test