E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG when rolling towards a red light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 15 2005, 06:30 PM
If you're waiting for the car to downshift or if you're forcing the downshift while the car is crawling, you're setting yourself up for this behavior.?

You need to put it in first well before the car feels it needs to for you (like around 1500 to 2000 rpms or higher.)? From there, depending on the situation, you need to modulate the gas or the brake to come to a smooth stop...
[snapback]102092[/snapback]
Happens either way. Forced into first or waiting for the car to downshift itself. There are times when its able to stop smoth and times it cant. Automode Manual mode doesnt matter. I suspect theres a fluke in my SMG. Doesnt happen all the time.

One other thing is even when I force it into first sometimes when its close to a complete stop the car slips a little like if I was doing heavy breaking with the brakes and engine and then I suddenly disengage the clutch so I lose some braking power (*engine breaking power*) so the car lurches forward a bit. But at such low RPMs where the clutch disengages there shouldnt be much engine breaking power to notice when it dis engages.

Like I said it happens 50% of the time not always... so that makes it questionable.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Dec 19 2004, 06:46 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 18 2004, 05:27 PM']drjochen, if you do as ebmcs03 says do you still have a problem?
[snapback]70297[/snapback]
I tried it today and its still there. It seems that only the shift from 2nd to 1st is not smooth. It also dosn't really blip the throttle, like it does whan it goed from 3rd to 2nd.

I guess I need to have the dealer lookm into this eventually. I juts know they'll tell me its "normal"...

Jochen
[snapback]70611[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am having this phenomenon too. But I don't think my jerkiness comes from gear change, but from clutch engagement. If I come from a gradual stop with foot on the brake, the car downshifts perfectly. But if I was say, tapping on the brake and accelerating, and braking..etc suddenly, then the SMG control computer gets confused and dumps the clutch. I think that's where my jerkiness comes from, otherwise, 2 to 1 downshift is flawless.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I still have the problem. I tried everything recommended here. I put the car in neutral now when I roll towards a stoplight.

Whats new is that my SMG now makes very loud "klick-klack" sounds once in a while, in particular when it acts jerky.

Also, the gear lever now makes a hard "knack" sound sometimes.
I thought it was disconnected from the gearbox and just an electronic switch.

The car will go back (once again) to the dealer whenever they will get my next set of seat rails in. My drivers seat has be wiggling since day one and they still haven't fixed it.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah Ic. well when V16.2 comes out do a update and see if it helps. according to the service tech i've been speaking with he seems to be indicating that they have updated SMG software in 16.2
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Mar 16 2005, 08:38 AM
I am having this phenomenon too.? But I don't think my jerkiness comes from gear change, but from clutch engagement. If I come from a gradual stop with foot on the brake, the car downshifts perfectly.? But if I was say, tapping on the brake and accelerating, and braking..etc suddenly, then the SMG control computer gets confused and? dumps the clutch.? I think that's where my jerkiness comes from, otherwise, 2 to 1 downshift is flawless.
[snapback]102307[/snapback]
YA thats what i think it is... its Dumping the clutch right before it stops and then it disengages it again once it realizes its going to stall if it keeps the clutch engaged...

Hummm I'll have to keep an eye on that see if its because I'm letting off the brakes and then back on them (* hence slight "pumping" action *) maybe thats confusing the Clutch engagement.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Members

thats something i was wondering about smg. say you're cruising around in fourth - manual of course - and then brake down to a standstill without shifting (because you're stupid... or whatever - you get my point, its a "what if")

what does the car do? when it gets to the point of stalling in fourth does it force gear change, "blip" the throttle to match roadspeed and shift into third (along with a nice little message in the idrive display reading "learn to drive" ) or does it engage the clutch and just sit there waiting for you to figure stuff out?

i guess this applies when slowing for a red light - do i really NEED to shift into first? for smooth driving i would start in second gear anyway...

i guess ill figure it out when i get my car - but im curious (and impatient) now.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Narf

If you slow enough for a red light, the car will shift into 1 by itslef (unless you do it first) and eventually clutch so as not to stall. There have been many threads regarding the benfits/detriments of letting the car shift by itslef from 2 to 1 (smoother shift v. some loss of control). The SMG, however, will let you select 2 (but not higher) when at a stop, so in snow or for whaterver reason you can start out in 2nd gear.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

The dumping of clutch will happen either you shift to 1st yourself or let the computer do it.

The SMG is adaptive, that's right, the dealer can re-program the clutch curve for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Mar 17 2005, 01:23 PM
The dumping of clutch will happen either you shift to 1st yourself or let the computer do it.

The SMG is adaptive, that's right, the dealer can re-program the clutch curve for you.
[snapback]102987[/snapback]
Eh? re-program the clutch curve? like how? can you give an example? To have the clutch let in sooner? later? faster? slower?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

I had my SMG transmission replaced at 1,500 mi (long story) see smg failure story

the dealer had to re-teach, or re-program the clutch curve. See last page