E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG vs Streptronic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,
I am contemplating buying the 2007 530i but am not sure about streptronic vs. SMG. Me and my wife have both driven an automatic for the past 10 years or so though I wanted to buy a manual this time (my first car was manual and I loved it). My wife was skeptical so we have narrowed down to an SMG vs. Streptronic.

Will my wife be able to adjust to the SMG quite easily? I drive mostly in heavy traffic (Atlanta area) for work, which will be a better option for me? Also I had read somewhere that it is not advisable to drive an SMG in auto mode for regular driving is that true?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

cheers,
flea
Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by flea' post='1068240' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:00 PM
All,
I am contemplating buying the 2007 530i but am not sure about streptronic vs. SMG. Me and my wife have both driven an automatic for the past 10 years or so though I wanted to buy a manual this time (my first car was manual and I loved it). My wife was skeptical so we have narrowed down to an SMG vs. Streptronic.

Will my wife be able to adjust to the SMG quite easily? I drive mostly in heavy traffic (Atlanta area) for work, which will be a better option for me? Also I had read somewhere that it is not advisable to drive an SMG in auto mode for regular driving is that true?

cheers,
flea
Hello Flea,

Welcome! You and your wife will definitely enjoy the SMG! I've had steptronic tranny and it's plain boring! With the SMG you can switch between manual and auto mode. I would suggest to test drive both tranny to get a feel for it. Good luck, and welcome to the forum again.

your friendly neighborhood!
-radz
Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Can't you switch from manual and auto in steptronic as well?

Also, good point about driving the SMG in auto....
Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Could you please elaborate on your statement "Also I had read somewhere that it is not advisable to drive an SMG in auto mode for regular driving is that true?"

I currently drive an SMG E60 and love it. One factor, though not THE deciding factor, was the fact that it could be switched back to auto mode so my girlfriend could drive if necessary since she still isn't familiar with driving stick shift.

In terms of adjusting to the SMG shifting, it takes some time but once I got the hang of it I didn't realize what I was missing till then.

Ultimately drive both to get a first hand feel as someone had mentioned. It's the only way you can figure out what YOU like.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1068461' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:15 PM
Could you please elaborate on your statement "Also I had read somewhere that it is not advisable to drive an SMG in auto mode for regular driving is that true?"

I currently drive an SMG E60 and love it. One factor, though not THE deciding factor, was the fact that it could be switched back to auto mode so my girlfriend could drive if necessary since she still isn't familiar with driving stick shift.

In terms of adjusting to the SMG shifting, it takes some time but once I got the hang of it I didn't realize what I was missing till then.

Ultimately drive both to get a first hand feel as someone had mentioned. It's the only way you can figure out what YOU like.
I have an SMG myself and i would highly recommend it. It was fine in LA traffic and now i live in SF and it's still great thru 99% city driving. Only problem is when i am in traffic (bumper to bumper) on a hill, my clutch will overheat fairly fast. Anyone else run into this problem with SMG tranny's?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by fivefeezy' post='1068783' date='Dec 6 2009, 01:52 PM
I have an SMG myself and i would highly recommend it. It was fine in LA traffic and now i live in SF and it's still great thru 99% city driving. Only problem is when i am in traffic (bumper to bumper) on a hill, my clutch will overheat fairly fast. Anyone else run into this problem with SMG tranny's?
I never had an overheating problem. How do you drive in those traffic? Are you driving like an auto(meaning when you drive automatic tranny, when you let of brake pedal the car is cripping forward)? Like when the traffic is moving at 1mph do you constantly slipping the clutch to go with the flow of traffic? That's a big no no.
You should put some distance between you and the car in front of you and avoid those slipping as much as possible.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

As you can see, the SMG is a complex transmission that does take some time to get used to. If your wife has never driven a manual transmission and she will be driving the car quite often, I would recommend the Steptronic. The Auto Mode on the SMG is very different from a torque converter automatic tranny.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Alpine White, Black inside,Sport Package, M Tech kit, SMG, Navigation, Cold weather package

+1 SMG
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Welcome to the best 5 Series forum in the world and have fun too
Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by flea' post='1068240' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:00 AM
All,

cheers,
flea
I had an 07 550 sport with SMG, not really the transmission if you are stuck in slow traffic all day. Great tranny if you can open it up. A lot of my driving was in town driving never got into high gears, i didn't really appreciated it, too jerky. This was the main reason i got rid of it and got the 08 550. If your wife realy like the smoothness of a true automatic, this may not be the car for her. It will never operate like a true automatic, make sure you let her drive both before deciding.

Quick Reply: SMG vs Streptronic