E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceJ
I have not seen any rebuild kits or rebuilt smg's do you have a link? Thanks!

Some one I believe on this board within the last year posted a link to a SMG pump rebuild kit for like $20 to $30(can't remember the exact price but it was shockingly low). SMG Pump is made by another company(Denso) and someone found some places that work on them. Might have been on a M boards that I saw it and they had some kit you could buy. I'm assuming this was some type of sleeve. Unless I misunderstood what he was saying. Maybe he was talking about a shop that did some work to unstick the sleeve ans that was the cost. Personally I'd just by the pump for $300-$400 and not risk it.

I'll try searching for it.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

OP take a look at these links.....

https://5series.net/forums/topic/825...a-is-a-ripoff/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

https://5series.net/forums/topic/866..._denso__st__15

Last thread someone got there fixed for about $800 from an indy shop.

In the end don't freak out lots of options that should get you back on the road for less then $1200.

You also have ABS Relay that is replaced when the pump is Part # 61-36-8-366-646. Cheap like $25-$30.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skylolow
Not really.

Just in the past BMW was in the habit of swapping trannys. Now there is rebuilt SMG pump kits, rebuilt SMG pumps, SMG pumps, etc. that are available. His dealership is just really sticking it to him.

Wait until an auto tranny fails. Very limited people are willing to rebuild them. What do you think the cost of new auto is going to cost you????
An SMG is around 15k installed from the dealer (rip off, but who else can do it)

Replacing an Auto tranny on something like the 530/550i would be around 3-5k installed (Some Indy shops can do this)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...5-series-6.htm
Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I've hird tranny alone from the dealer is like $4K it is good to have a friend with 40% discount from BMW
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VTGT
An SMG is around 15k installed from the dealer (rip off, but who else can do it)

Replacing an Auto tranny on something like the 530/550i would be around 3-5k installed (Some Indy shops can do this)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...5-series-6.htm
Good luck finding a dealership to install a tranny in any kind of BMW for 3K-5K. Counsumer guide auto is way off.

Part alone is between 3K and 7K not installed depending on the model and year. For example a 06 550i auto tranny part number is 24007555928 through realoem.com list for $5876.67. All dealers mark another 10% to 30% up on the part on top of it. Then you got to pay labor of $100+ an hour. Plus other parts that go with changing a tranny. Like fluids, gaskets, etc.. I would assume using this scenario your not going to walk away with out paying 10K+. A 530 tranny is around 3.5K to 4K for just the tranny part.

A 05 545 SMG tranny runs $5,312.19 for the list. Overall the price shouldn't be a whole different in the end to do the work compared to an auto tranny in a V8.

FYI SMG isn't some odd ball thing no one can work on. Grant it a basic auto tranny is more straight forward. But its isn't anything complex. Really isn't any different then a typical manual transmission.

The real problem here is finding a rebuilt tranny somewhere. Only recently has some places came forward with rebuilt trannys for the E60's. Otherwise you where always stuck ordering it direct.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

anyother smg owners get real paranoid reading these threads...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ellicit
anyother smg owners get real paranoid reading these threads...
I don't know if I'd really get worried about it.

Tranny part itself is just as reliable as a manual. Really its just the SMG Pump part that anyone should be concerned about. That is what I'm concerned about. But if you can get that fixed for between $800 and $1500 or do it yourself for about $500 it isn't to bad. I can live with that as it seems like the majority of them last a a good 4+ years and 75K+ in miles.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Its too bad about the cost, the SMG was a fun tranny and really differentiated BMW from its peers. I would get it again if offered on the F10, but then my cars are gone before their warranty expires.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Am I missing something? The OP stated the exact parts the car needed, I looked them up on realoem.com and they only cost $5XX. So they have to drop the tranny to replace these parts. they don't have to completely dismantle the tranny do they? Just drop it and replace these two parts?

Why the $5,000 labor charge then?

I don't get it. Most of the talk since has been about tranny replacement and complete rebuild - not the OP's issues right? Or is it me?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow
Good luck finding a dealership to install a tranny in any kind of BMW for 3K-5K. Counsumer guide auto is way off.

Part alone is between 3K and 7K not installed depending on the model and year. For example a 06 550i auto tranny part number is 24007555928 through realoem.com list for $5876.67. All dealers mark another 10% to 30% up on the part on top of it. Then you got to pay labor of $100+ an hour. Plus other parts that go with changing a tranny. Like fluids, gaskets, etc.. I would assume using this scenario your not going to walk away with out paying 10K+. A 530 tranny is around 3.5K to 4K for just the tranny part.

A 05 545 SMG tranny runs $5,312.19 for the list. Overall the price shouldn't be a whole different in the end to do the work compared to an auto tranny in a V8.

FYI SMG isn't some odd ball thing no one can work on. Grant it a basic auto tranny is more straight forward. But its isn't anything complex. Really isn't any different then a typical manual transmission.

The real problem here is finding a rebuilt tranny somewhere. Only recently has some places came forward with rebuilt trannys for the E60's. Otherwise you where always stuck ordering it direct.
Yeah well I am talking about the SMG for the M5 which I will guarantee is more than a 550i automatic. Also I would bet that the 550i auto will last until at least 100,000 before needing a rebuild, while the SMG M5 can grenade at a moments notice....ok not that bad but compared to a 550i automatic it is not as reliable or durable.

Quick Reply: SMG Transmission failure