E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Observation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Just tried it. I did not notice a difference. Bit tricky though trying not to engage AA but still getting on it hard.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Well at least it seems that I'm not totally "out-there", although that's still up for debate.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
JDN
Contributors

I hope you fellows can settle it before I try it and run up somebody's tailpipe.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya I was suppose to try it! I forgot! DOH! Let me write it down.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Maybe it's my rear bumper that is making it faster?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 18 2005, 03:16 PM
Maybe it's my rear bumper that is making it faster?
[snapback]172035[/snapback]
Or your new avatar?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok, I'm not sure either... maybe you guys are just making my brain think it is... Tried it only a few times and sometimes I think does shift faster if you hit DSC then Sports and sometimes it feels the same.

OR do I have to shut down and restart the car? Cuz this was done with just one start up. DSC and Sports button on and off a bunch of times... Wonder if that confused the car ahhahahaa

BUT what I do know is if I'm accelerating off the line slow with DSC on and spots mode off it shifts very very slow sometimes... I like have to lift off my foot for a very long time waiting for gear change and then re-apply the gas.

I wonder if gear change speed is also dependent on the amount of gas you apply and at what RPMs you wnat to change at.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

To me, it simply seems like the throttle response is faster with DSC/DTC disabled. I haven't gotten into trying all the combinations of what you turn on first, second, etc. I disable DSC/DTC then put it in sport mode. I've done it while moving. After that, I can give it like 75 or 80% throttle and the car just seems to rev faster and pull harder.

Again, to me, shifts seem the same as with sport mode.

I wonder if the DSC/DTC program robs the car of some of the increased throttle response of sport mode?

By the way, it's possible that this may work on Steptronic cars if they use sport mode -- isn't it?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Even though I have tried it in the reverse order before I did try it your way this time and to be honest with you I did not feel any difference. I did not have a lot of room to really try it out since there was moderate traffic, so I will be trying it again. The weird thing is that all of you seem to feel that with the DSC/DTC turned off you can get at least the same or faster acceleration (better throttle response). However, every time I try this I feel that it accelerates faster sometimes, yet it feels slower at other times. So now I just leave the DSC/DTC on and put it in sport mode (since it does not seem faster on a consistant basis with the DSC/DTC turned off).
Old 09-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 18 2005, 10:15 PM
However, whenever I have tried this I have felt that it accelerates faster sometimes, yet it feels slower at other times.? So now I just leave the DSC/DTC on and put it in sport mode.
[snapback]172212[/snapback]

Thats what I've been kinda trying to say... the acceleration is like ummm unstable... oh wait... i said the shifting times... Well maybe acceleration too...

Quick Reply: SMG Observation