5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   SMG Observation (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/smg-observation-15961/)

realtyman 09-14-2005 06:28 PM

OK, I've turned 30K miles on my 545i SMG.
As of late, I've been playing around a bit.
My typical routine once the car is started has been to press the Sport Button, then turn off DTC and DSC. It has just become routine.
When trying to get a vid of AA a few weeks back some situations prevented me from "lighting 'em up" per se so I would just go - but not hard enough to activate AA.
I then noticed that the shifts seemed to be quicker and the throttle response was better - not as much as during an AA sequence - but seemed to be better/quicker than when I did it the other way.
Now I have changed my routine to turning off DTC and DSC FIRST then hitting the Sport button (I just need to remember to not floor it out of my driveway). I still think it is better.

Can some of you Kool-aid drinking, SMG-cult members try this out and let me know if you experience the same as me or if this is just a placebo effect. I'm wondering if this is a secret alternate SMG program (i.e. bug).

Thanks in advance (although I'm sure I don't need to ask too hard for a few of you to give this a try). Just remember not to floor it from a dead stop. :devil:

pennetta 09-14-2005 06:55 PM

Interesting.

realtyman 09-15-2005 03:51 PM

Anyone?

Heloha 09-15-2005 04:37 PM

I know there is a lot of talk regarding SMG and how long it takes to shift once you hit the lever or click the shifter. Having just ordered a 550i with SMG (November Delivery), one of the reasons I decided on SMG is I've noticed in regular driving/commuting with my current ride (330i 6spd), I don't pull off neck snapping shifts either. In fact, I'm probably slower than if it were an SMG for most driving situations.

At first when I drove SMG, I was caught up in thinking it should shift as though I were driving a an F355 in playstation2, or some kind of muscle car with a turbo400 automatic and tight torque converter. Of course I will have more experience than mere test drives when my car comes in. Just my 2-cents. :geek:

drjochen 09-15-2005 04:46 PM

Really no clue. But I'll try it tomorrow on the way home from work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy 09-15-2005 05:10 PM

This is my first opportunity to post since reading your message late last night....

I turned off DSC/DTC then turned on Sport and to be honest, I didn't seem to notice a difference. The one thing I'll say is that I didn't have any real opportunity to get on the car hard so I'll keep playing around in the next few days...

realtyman 09-15-2005 05:51 PM

Thanks guys.
I really think the throttle response is better and some of the shifts seem to be quicker (again, not nearly as quick as an AA sequence, but quicker than not) but I need some confirmation. I really don't think I'm wrong.

EBMCS03 09-15-2005 09:52 PM

Interesting.. I'll have to try it out... and be sure not to floor it at a stop. :wow:

Rudy 09-18-2005 06:08 AM

I'm starting to think realtyman is on to something here. I can't say I notice a faster shift, but I do think acceleration is improved if you really get on the gas (but not hard enough to activate AA).

I'm still playing around to see if it's my imagination or not...

JDN 09-18-2005 06:40 AM

I'll try it too first time I make another run somewhere. Will report back, realty.