E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Manual Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yep. And my rpm range is probably wider than what I originally stated above for the downshift from second to first.

It's all about feel, not an actual rev number. If you're braking fairly heavily, clicking the paddle at 2500 rpm as the tach is dropping will result in the downshift occurring at around 2000 rpm. If you're sort of coasting to a stop, then downshifting to first at 2500 will be excessive and you should probably do it around 2000 or 1800.

Pretty much anywhere between 1500 and 2500 rpm will work but too many other factors determine the exact point for maximum smoothness, etc. so it's hard to pinpoint one "all purpose" number.

These are some of the many issues that become second nature after the SMG learning curve is completed...
Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 19 2005, 12:07 AM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 18 2005, 12:48 PM']? ? I am glad I ordered a manual.
[snapback]185840[/snapback]

HAHA why? too complicated for you? SMG is Waaay simplier than a manual...
[snapback]186015[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just wanted to rile up you SMG guys and restart some good ole controversy.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 19 2005, 08:33 AM
I just wanted to rile up you SMG guys and restart some good ole controversy.?
[snapback]186144[/snapback]
I thought so.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 19 2005, 08:33 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 19 2005, 12:07 AM'][quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 18 2005, 12:48 PM']? ? I am glad I ordered a manual.
[snapback]185840[/snapback]

HAHA why? too complicated for you? SMG is Waaay simplier than a manual...
[snapback]186015[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just wanted to rile up you SMG guys and restart some good ole controversy.
[snapback]186144[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gotta Love It!
Some of the topics on this Forum make me feel like "sibling rivalry"!
My SMG equipped E60 is due to arrive next week. I can't wait!!!
-Tony
Old 10-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Oct 18 2005, 04:29 AM
There is no blip of the gas when the car downshifts by itself, but there is one when I downshift. All I hear is a metallic clang/click noise.

My dealer in its infinite wisdom tells me its perfectly normal. BMW NA is next...
[snapback]185629[/snapback]

When we manually downshift from 2 to 1 as we slow down the car blips the throttle and re-engages the clutch after shifting it into 1st gear, and that's when we feel the jolt. It assumes that we had good reason to do the downshift (e.g. to use engine braking or to accelerate faster), so it blips and re-engages the clutch immediately and is ready to go. However, if we let the car downshift from 2 to 1 as we are coming to a stop it just assumes that we are going to stop, so all it does it dis-engage the clutch and shift to 1, but then it does not re-engage again. This is why it feels smooth. Basically it just takes the car out of 2nd gear and puts it in 1 but will not re-engage the clutch until we accelerate again.

I think this IS mormal and it is doing what it was programmed to do....It also makes sense to me why they chose to do it that way.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 20 2005, 12:00 AM
[quote name='drjochen' date='Oct 18 2005, 04:29 AM']There is no blip of the gas when the car downshifts by itself, but there is one when I downshift. All I hear is a metallic clang/click noise.

My dealer in its infinite wisdom tells me its perfectly normal. BMW NA is next...

When we manually downshift from 2 to 1 as we slow down the car blips the throttle and re-engages the clutch after shifting it into 1st gear, and that's when we feel the jolt. It assumes that we had good reason to do the downshift (e.g. to use engine braking or to accelerate faster), so it blips and re-engages the clutch immediately and is ready to go. However, if we let the car downshift from 2 to 1 as we are coming to a stop it just assumes that we are going to stop, so all it does it dis-engage the clutch and shift to 1, but then it does not re-engage again. This is why it feels smooth. Basically it just takes the car out of 2nd gear and puts it in 1 but will not re-engage the clutch until we accelerate again.

I think this IS mormal and it is doing what it was programmed to do....It also makes sense to me why they chose to do it that way.
[snapback]186438[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, RODY

I am doing the same, as my manual downshifts at low rpms are jerky and can't be good for the transmission.

How do you like the B& B exhause - I am researching alternatives as I write this - I have purchased the m sport package (being installed this week!) Looking to dinan mountain view to install the flywheel next week, and had thought to purchase the schnitzer exhaust but I have noticed that there are many of you that have installed the B& B Exhaust.

What do you think? Volume, weight, perfomance gains if any?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 20 2005, 04:00 AM
[quote name='drjochen' date='Oct 18 2005, 04:29 AM']There is no blip of the gas when the car downshifts by itself, but there is one when I downshift. All I hear is a metallic clang/click noise.

But I don't think it normal that the entire car shakes and shudders and I hear a "bang" noise.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:51 AM
[quote name='545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:32 AM']I've donwshifted into first by accident on occassion going about 10 miles per hour and although it startled me, it was smooth!
[snapback]185687[/snapback]
That's my point. I've found over time that I prefer to downshift to first well before the car feels the need to do so. The shift is always smooth and the other benefit is you're always in the gear you need to be when you need it. If you let the car downshift for you, you run the risk of needing to accelerate just when the car decides to downshift. When that happens, the car won't go when you want it to but will eventually slam into first and lurch you forward, much later than you expected. Keep in mind that the car will automatically downshift only at the last possible moment, right before the car would begin to shudder if it was a traditional manual. You'll soon learn what I'm talking about if and when you approach a red light that turns green before you come to a complete stop or when you come to a stop sign but don't come to a complete stop before proceeding ahead.

I tried to experiment with the rpms and a manual downshift again.
If I do what you suggest (which I am sure works for your car), I get a huge "bobblehead" effect, the entire car jumps 1-2 times, just like when you drop the clutch too fast with a manual going from 2nd to 1st.
Another question is: when you drive in lets say 2nd or 3rd and suddely get off the gas, I feel 2-3 jumps in the car, if I get on the gas again, the same, both accompanied by a metallic clunck in the drivetrain. Does anyone have this? Again, I was told its normal. My previous manual E39 never did any of this....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Oct 20 2005, 08:07 AM
I tried to experiment with the rpms and a manual downshift again.
If I do what you suggest (which I am sure works for your car), I get a huge "bobblehead" effect, the entire car jumps 1-2 times, just like when you drop the clutch too fast with a manual going from 2nd to 1st.
Another question is: when you drive in lets say 2nd or 3rd and suddely get off the gas, I feel 2-3 jumps in the car, if I get on the gas again, the same, both accompanied by a metallic clunck in the drivetrain. Does anyone have this? Again, I was told its normal. My previous manual E39 never did any of this....
[snapback]186492[/snapback]
There may or may not be something wrong with your car. Clearly, any "jumping" or jolting isn't normal but one thing you have to keep in mind is that the car still needs to be driven like a manual. I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway...sudden movements of the gas pedal, especially sudden lifting of the pedal, can result in jerkiness even on a traditional manual -- especially in the lower gears. That said, there shouldn't be any "sloppiness" in the drivetrain so I can't say for sure that your car is acting normally.

All I know is I seldom have any jerkiness but I usually keep any gas pedal movements smooth and steady -- especially in first and second gears...
Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 AM
JDN
Contributors

Also, driving in Sport mode will make an SMG less smooth since all controls, especially the right pedal, are more responsive in Sport.

Quick Reply: SMG Manual Shifts