E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Manual Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Not having read the manual - should you ever manually downshift into first gear or let the transmission downshift automatically. I can never seem to get a amooth rolling downshift - even at 2-4 mi per hour.

However, if I leave it in second coming to a halt it automatically shifts down evene in the manual mode.

Has anyone actually read the smg manual or know the correct procedure? Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Read the manual? whats that? hahaha

Either way is ok... Its a manual transmission... the car will rev match so theres no harm done. The car is programmed to downshift when its too slow for the engine so you wont stall it. I usually let the car downshift if knowing that I'll be comming to a complete stop anyways... If its just a slow down on the freeway or somthing I would manually downshift so I'll be in the right gear in the event I need to accelerate again.

As for getting a smooth down shift do you only mean going from 2 to 1? Cuz other wise all my downshifts are pretty smooth... I hardly downsift to first while moving that slow... theres no need. Unless I'm racing then I'll be up the the rev range and when I do use 1st it'll prob be like around >4K RPMS
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

As I had "complained" about before, my downshifts when rolling to a light are pretty rough, the entire car shudders (3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st).
I have had people in my car asking me whats wrong with it...

There is no blip of the gas when the car downshifts by itself, but there is one when I downshift. All I hear is a metallic clang/click noise.

My dealer in its infinite wisdom tells me its perfectly normal. BMW NA is next...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The trick to the 2 to 1 downshift is to do it at a higher speed. Try doing it while in second at around 2000 or 2500 rpms and see how it works...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 01:10 AM
Not having read the manual - should you ever manually downshift into first gear or let the transmission downshift automatically.? I can never seem to get a amooth rolling downshift - even at 2-4 mi per hour.

However, if I leave it in second coming to a halt it automatically shifts down evene in the manual mode.

Has anyone actually read the smg manual or know the correct procedure?? Thanks
[snapback]185543[/snapback]

In my 2003 M3 I rarely downshift into 1st but, instead, let the SMG do it automatically once I have stopped. I have found that downshifts into 2nd are much smoother if you give the car a little gas while downshifting. Also, try this -- at around 65 mph in 6th, keep your foot on the gas and downshift into 3rd by quickly flicking the paddle or shifter 3 times. You should experience two things -- one of the smoothest downshifts ever and the power of the car as it takes off.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:37 PM
Read the manual? whats that? hahaha

Either way is ok... Its a manual transmission... the car will rev match so theres no harm done. The car is programmed to downshift when its too slow for the engine so you wont stall it. I usually let the car downshift if knowing that I'll be comming to a complete stop anyways... If its just a slow down on the freeway or somthing I would manually downshift so I'll be in the right gear in the event I need to accelerate again.

As for getting a smooth down shift do you only mean going from 2 to 1? Cuz other wise all my downshifts are pretty smooth... I hardly downsift to first while moving that slow... theres no need. Unless I'm racing then I'll be up the the rev range and when I do use 1st it'll prob be like around >4K RPMS?
[snapback]185552[/snapback]

Thanks EBMC, My shifts and downshifts are as smooth as any automatic, it was just the 1st gear downshift to a stop. And you gave me the answer. So its ok to allow the transmission to downshift to first automatically when coming to a halt.

I've donwshifted into first by accident on occassion going about 10 miles per hour and although it startled me, it was smooth!

Just the 2-4 mph range, the auto is much and reve matching is much smoother than manually downshifting to first, then stop. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:32 AM
I've donwshifted into first by accident on occassion going about 10 miles per hour and although it startled me, it was smooth!
[snapback]185687[/snapback]
That's my point. I've found over time that I prefer to downshift to first well before the car feels the need to do so. The shift is always smooth and the other benefit is you're always in the gear you need to be when you need it. If you let the car downshift for you, you run the risk of needing to accelerate just when the car decides to downshift. When that happens, the car won't go when you want it to but will eventually slam into first and lurch you forward, much later than you expected. Keep in mind that the car will automatically downshift only at the last possible moment, right before the car would begin to shudder if it was a traditional manual. You'll soon learn what I'm talking about if and when you approach a red light that turns green before you come to a complete stop or when you come to a stop sign but don't come to a complete stop before proceeding ahead.

For me, the car is a manual so that means that I don't want the car automatically shifting for me ever -- including downshifting. If I downshift to first as I'm slowing down, I'll be ready to go when I need to...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I am glad I ordered a manual.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 18 2005, 12:48 PM
? ? I am glad I ordered a manual.
[snapback]185840[/snapback]

HAHA why? too complicated for you? SMG is Waaay simplier than a manual...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks EBMC,? My shifts and downshifts are as smooth as any automatic, it was just the 1st gear downshift to a stop.? And you gave me the answer. So its ok to allow the transmission to downshift to first automatically when coming to a halt.

Just the 2-4 mph range, the auto is much and reve matching is much smoother than manually downshifting to first, then stop.? Thanks again.
[snapback]185687[/snapback]

No problem. Yes as rudy said... its better to downshift as needed manually when the car drops below ~1800rpms (my preference). That way there wont be any suprises when you get on the gas again.

Although I have to say I do coast and let the car down shift a lot of the times only when I know i'm comming to a stop up ahead... if like slowing on the freeway or highway I suggest ALWAYS downshift to have the car in gear at all times. Its not good to let the car slow to 1K RPMs on the highway as theres no power when you need it.

Quick Reply: SMG Manual Shifts