E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG / manual questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dieterm' date='Aug 27 2005, 11:28 AM
Let me put it this way.? Do those of you out there that always had and sworn by manual trannys (a reason I haven't looked at any other car other than a 5) and switched to a 5 series SMG get the same thrill out of switching your gears that you used to?? Is the SMG as much fun even after the first few months for the manual enthusiasts?

--? Dieter
[snapback]164025[/snapback]
Yes. The thrill is there for me after 16 months of ownership. I'm now saying I'll never get another traditional manual as long as SMG is offered.

Since you seem to have decided against the automatic, you will probably not regret the SMG choice -- just be patient when you first get it because it's very different than anything you've ever driven before and there's a steep "re-programming" curve your body and brain need to experience...
Old 08-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

[quote name='dieterm' date='Aug 26 2005, 01:12 PM']
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the SMG or manual on a new 550i.

I've read the threads where people seem to like their SMG. I'm still on the fence so I have a few questions for the SMG/manual crowd:

- At times I like to push in the clutch and roll to a stop at intersections or when stopping the car. Can you / how do you select neutral on the SMG? Does the SMG switch into neutral when the car slows near a stop?

This is the only way I do this right now. When rolling to a red light, my car otherwise is so jerky that I feel like a bobblehead...

- On the 745 I've played with the steering wheel steptronic gear switching. This is better than a normal automatic but not nearly as much fun as switching gears manually. My question - Is the SMG fun like a manual or is it more like a more responsive steering wheel controlled steptronic?

To me its tons of fun, except in heavy traffic. There, it annoys the hell out of me and my passengers.....
Old 08-27-2005, 10:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by dieterm' date='Aug 27 2005, 10:28 AM
I understand that people enjoy their SMG's.? It seems so cool.? But I worry that I might have withdrawal after the new coolness factor wears off.? I ask myself sometimes why I want to manually switch through my gears instead of "growing up" to the acclaimed steptronic.? But as I was tooling down the road yesterday in my '93 325i 5 spd it is clear as it always is - rowing through your gears feeling the total control over your car and its beautiful engine is just plain fun.

Let me put it this way.? Do those of you out there that always had and sworn by manual trannys (a reason I haven't looked at any other car other than a 5) and switched to a 5 series SMG get the same thrill out of switching your gears that you used to?? Is the SMG as much fun even after the first few months for the manual enthusiasts?

--? Dieter
[snapback]164025[/snapback]
The answer is YES. There is a skill level that adds to the enjoyment. I run in the Sport mode a lot of the time.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I have no regrets with the SMG. I had manual tranny's for 10 years prior to my SMG. I acquired my SMG without ever driving one. I really enjoy it and feel that I am in just as much control of the car (with one exception - modulation of the throttle/clutch from a dead stop). Perfect downshifts "every time" is an offsetting factor.
I, as well, run in Sport mode 100% of the time.
I also use the auto mode probably more than anyone else.
Just as there is a learning curve with SMG, the auto mode takes a little getting used to - but I feel it has its advantages occasionally.
My next car will be SMG (and hopefully it'll be an M5 )
Old 08-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Olivin Green w/Beige Interior, smg, sports package, nav, hud, comfort seats, sirius, cold weather pkg, fold down seats, rear heat and airbags

Thanks for the info. Seems that the consensus is to go SMG. One last question then - Is there anyone out there that was a manual addict and then migrated to the SMG that now regrets it? If so can you explain why?

-- Dieter
Old 08-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

SMG is great. I've come from manual cars and don't miss them at all. I always shift with the steering wheel paddles and always in sport mode. I have only used the auto program to show people that mode.
The SMG diferentiates BMW from the other premium sport models available. I would order it again.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I forgot to mention that I was a manual addict until my SMG. Now I'm an SMG addict. I've never owned an automatic as my primary car...
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I've only had manuals (20 years). Heck, my driving lessons given to us at 16 was a manual. That's why I tend to use the shift lever most of time versus using the paddles. My left foot however, is glad for the extended vacation.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Aug 29 2005, 11:41 AM
My left foot however, is glad for the extended vacation.
[snapback]164713[/snapback]
Which reminds me of another side benefit of SMG -- you can use the dead pedal with your left foot to help hold yourself in the seat under heavy cornering, etc. With the traditional manual, it's much harder to take advantage of the dead pedal and much harder to allow the largest muscle group in your body to keep you planted in your seat...
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 29 2005, 10:12 AM
Which reminds me of another side benefit of SMG -- you can use the dead pedal with your left foot to help hold yourself in the seat under heavy cornering, etc.?
[snapback]164723[/snapback]
This is exactly right. With conventional stick, you have one hand on steering wheel and the other on the stick going through corner. One hand on steering wheel with left foot on clutch pedal is not as good as two hands on the wheel and left foot on the foot rest going through corner. When I drive on winding road to my house at 50/55mph, I always have two hands on wheel with left foot on dead pedal and in 4th gear. It's totally in control and very fun. I wish I had shift pedals like Hobi. , But it's too expensive for me.
My car is at 33Kmiles at the moment, and I might trade in at 49K miles for SMG We'll see how reliable SMG down the road.

Quick Reply: SMG / manual questions