E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG (E60) - It's OK but ... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Why I chose SMG for my 545</span>

For SMG
- I'm convinced SMG is the future. It's manual and automatic merging into one, thanks to technological evolution.
- I like my hi-tech gadgets as much as the other guy. Hey, I also got HUD!
- If it works for F1, it should be good enough for me. Plus, the M3 SMG was well received. Not so much on the Z4, but that was 18 months earlier.
- I'm a computer pro with a bias. Clearly, a computer-controlled servo should do better shifting than most humans.
- The price is right for US model 545: zero, same as manual and auto.

Against manual boxes
- I do quite a bit of heavy traffic commuting, and I grow tired of pressing the clutch pedal every other second.
- After 33 years of driving, the novelty of that clutch pedal wore out. It's really not as good as sex.

Against automatic boxes
- I drove manual boxes most of my life. I can live with a slushbox when I borrow my wife's SUV to pick-up mulch. But for spirited driving, one needs to do one's own shifting, more so with 325 ponies.
- I find metaphysical gratification in performing fast but velvet-smooth shifts. If the passenger's head bobbles more than a hair, it's no good! Can't do that with a slushbox when you press the gas pedal down hard.
- The performance lag factor, why waste 4% of the power to heat up the transmission oil?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>My actual experience with SMG</span>

Shifting speed
A major disappointment.
Over 2 seconds between gears in standard mode. Slow as molasses.
Between 1.0 and 1.4 seconds in sport mode, 3-times slower than I can do with a manual box.
It was supposed to get better with time as the system "learned" my style. It does not.
With such slow shifting, don't even think of challenging that M3 at the red light.
In an ironic contradiction given SMG's track origins, its shifting speed may satisfy our good old doctor in his 525, but in its current version, I would not recommend it with a 545 to anyone who likes performance shifts.
By the way, the system cannot remember that I always use the sport mode, so it has to be part of my startup routine, just like the Lawyer screen and a couple of other things.

Drive mode
I rarely use the automatic/drive mode.
It's just good enough if you have to convince of your purchase your significant, automatic-only, other one.
If you need this mode for any other reason, get a slushbox, they're really good at it.
Also, when you open up wide in this mode, talk about head bobbling here!

Automatic downshifting
Anytime you're slowing down and the revs drop below 800 rpm, SMG will downshift one gear. It's well done and very smooth. But I hate it.
First, because I occasionally downshift right after it (unless you're looking at your dials, the engine is so quiet that you won't know it downshifted for you).
So we have double downshift. This usually happens from third gear, ending up in first.
If at that exact moment, you reopen the gas to pass someone, you surprisingly find yourself in first when you expected to be in second. Bad!
Also, sometimes you want it not to downshift at all.
This usually happens at a stop/yield sign, just before turning left or right.
You slow down to, say, 8 mph., check for oncoming traffic, then gently reaccelerate in second gear.
Surprise, SMG brought you in first gear even though you did not want it.
And by the way, when you press the gas pedal at the exact same moment SMG downshifts, your engine gets a hiccup for a second, a brief surge. Not good at busy intersections. I'd even say dangerous.

Quick reverse/forward sequences are risky
For safety reasons, I suppose, SMG only lets you engage a gear, forward or reverse, if the brake is applied upon exiting neutral.
If not, the stick will be in a forward or reverse position, but you'll actually still be in neutral, as the gear indicator will witness.
To fix the situation, you'll need to get out of your current gear, pause at neutral, apply the brake then come back to your desired gear.
The best example of the risk here is when you're backing out of your driveway onto the street.
If you're a little anxious because a speeding truck is heading your way, you might fumble your shift and sit idle on that road for 5 seconds while you perform the fix described above. Unless you get really anxious and fumble again. You get the picture.

Shift controls
At the beginning, I was using the paddles all the time, because of their proximity to the wheel. Over time, I came to find the wheel surroundings too crowded.
More than one time, when attempting to upshift briskly, I would instead hit the wiper control stub (on the right) or the high beams (on the left).
Like others on this forum, I downshifted instead of upshifting on occasions, or vice versa.
Now I almost exclusively use the stick. I find it more natural.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Conclusion</span>

I credit BMW with being an early adopter of SMG, but I wished they had used the same box type as the M3.
This current version of E60 SMG leaves quite a bit to be desired, but it's not bad for a first shot.
I got used to my SMG, it is sufficient in most instances even though I often miss the quickness of a manual tranny.
I am also specially careful in the situations of danger described above, I make sure not to put myself in situations where I need to rush through an intersection, or backing out of my driveway.
I will probably get SMG again, if available, but I'll try harder to drive test it before.
Unfortunately, there were no E60 SMG available when I was in the process of buying mine.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

yvesj, although many of your points are well taken and have been mentioned here before (E60 SMG vs. M3 SMG, etc.), I had to address a few of your specific points... (my answers are in red)

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Nov 21 2004, 11:11 PM
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>My actual experience with SMG</span>

Shifting speed
A major disappointment.
Between 1.0 and 1.4 seconds in sport mode, 3-times slower than I can do with a manual box.
That's way slower than my SMG.? Are you sure your car is working properly?? If this was the way all E60 SMGs shifted, there wouldn't be so many happy owners here on this board.

It was supposed to get better with time as the system "learned" my style. It does not.
I'm not aware that the SMG is adaptive.? The only adapting needed for the SMG is with the driver.

Automatic downshifting
Anytime you're slowing down and the revs drop below 800 rpm, SMG will downshift one gear. It's well done and very smooth. But I hate it.
First, because I occasionally downshift right after it (unless you're looking at your dials, the engine is so quiet that you won't know it downshifted for you).
So we have double downshift. This usually happens from third gear, ending up in first.
If at that exact moment, you reopen the gas to pass someone, you surprisingly find yourself in first when you expected to be in second. Bad!
You slow down to, say, 8 mph., check for oncoming traffic, then gently reaccelerate in second gear.
And by the way, when you press the gas pedal at the exact same moment SMG downshifts, your engine gets a hiccup for a second, a brief surge. Not good at busy intersections. I'd even say dangerous.
That is precisely why I always downshift before the car does.? I never let it downshift for me -- that way I'm always in the gear I want to be in and never have the problems you describe.? Since the SMG downshifts so well and does not upset the car's balance, it makes perfect sense to do things this way.? (In my opinion, the car downshifts automatically too late anyway and I bought the SMG to shift it myself, not let the car do if for me.)

For safety reasons, I suppose, SMG only lets you engage a gear, forward or reverse, if the brake is applied upon exiting neutral.
If not, the stick will be in a forward or reverse position, but you'll actually still be in neutral, as the gear indicator will witness.
To fix the situation, you'll need to get out of your current gear, pause at neutral, apply the brake then come back to your desired gear.
The best example of the risk here is when you're backing out of your driveway onto the street.
If you're a little anxious because a speeding truck is heading your way, you might fumble your shift and sit idle on that road for 5 seconds while you perform the fix described above. Unless you get really anxious and fumble again. You get the picture.
Your point is invalid and simply not true.? There is a mode with the SMG where you can quickly go from forward to reverse without the brake and without stopping in neutral.? You just have to do it very quickly.? The mode is used for rocking the car out of mud/snow.? Try it, it works.
[snapback]59169[/snapback]
If I were you, I'd have your car double checked at the dealer. Sure, the E60 is no M3 with an SMG-II but the delays you describe sound way too long compared to my car. I remember another forum member (azwdct) complaining about similar delays and the dealer agreed with him that something was wrong. Not sure if he ever got it resolved.

Hope you have some luck with your problems/issues. I think there's more enjoyment due you somewhere with this car!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I agree with what Rudy said.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I strongly agree with above.

My SMG is way faster than what you are stating. Have you had your dealer look at your car. In Auto, my my2005 shifts faster than 1 sec and in sports, 1/2 as quick.

It feels to me the car is "learning" my driving habbits.

I wouldn't give up yet.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:11 PM

For SMG
- I'm convinced SMG is the future. It's manual and automatic merging into one, thanks to technological evolution.
- I like my hi-tech gadgets as much as the other guy. Hey, I also got HUD!
- If it works for F1, it should be good enough for me. Plus, the M3 SMG was well received. Not so much on the Z4, but that was 18 months earlier.
- I'm a computer pro with a bias. Clearly, a computer-controlled servo should do better shifting than most humans.
- The price is right for US model 545: zero, same as manual and auto.

Against manual boxes
- I do quite a bit of heavy traffic commuting, and I grow tired of pressing the clutch pedal every other second.
- After 33 years of driving, the novelty of that clutch pedal wore out. It's really not as good as sex.

Against automatic boxes
- I drove manual boxes most of my life. I can live with a slushbox when I borrow my wife's SUV to pick-up mulch. But for spirited driving, one needs to do one's own shifting, more so with 325 ponies.
- I find metaphysical gratification in performing fast but velvet-smooth shifts. If the passenger's head bobbles more than a hair, it's no good! Can't do that with a slushbox when you press the gas pedal down hard.
- The performance lag factor, why waste 4% of the power to heat up the transmission oil?

Shifting speed
A major disappointment.
With such slow shifting, don't even think of challenging that M3 at the red light.
In an ironic contradiction given SMG's track origins, its shifting speed may satisfy our good old doctor in his 525, but in its current version, I would not recommend it with a 545 to anyone who likes performance shifts.
By the way, the system cannot remember that I always use the sport mode, so it has to be part of my startup routine, just like the Lawyer screen and a couple of other things.

Drive mode
I rarely use the automatic/drive mode.
It's just good enough if you have to convince of your purchase your significant, automatic-only, other one.
If you need this mode for any other reason, get a slushbox, they're really good at it.
Also, when you open up wide in this mode, talk about head bobbling here!

Automatic downshifting

Shift controls
At the beginning, I was using the paddles all the time, because of their proximity to the wheel. Over time, I came to find the wheel surroundings too crowded.
More than one time, when attempting to upshift briskly, I would instead hit the wiper control stub (on the right) or the high beams (on the left).
Like others on this forum, I downshifted instead of upshifting on occasions, or vice versa.
Now I almost exclusively use the stick. I find it more natural.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Conclusion</span>

I credit BMW with being an early adopter of SMG, but I wished they had used the same box type as the M3.
This current version of E60 SMG leaves quite a bit to be desired, but it's not bad for a first shot.
I got used to my SMG, it is sufficient in most instances even though I often miss the quickness of a manual tranny.
I am also specially careful in the situations of danger described above, I make sure not to put myself in situations where I need to rush through an intersection, or backing out of my driveway.
I will probably get SMG again, if available, but I'll try harder to drive test it before.
Unfortunately, there were no E60 SMG available when I was in the process of buying mine.

Well reasoned post, but I agree with the others. There's no way you could shift as fast as my SMG without breaking your arm (and even then you'd come up shot). Speed-shifting is incredible and the shift is near instantaneous, way less than a second in sport mode. Take your car to the dealer, might be software-related.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, meant, "come up short", not "shot", funny how the post was referencing breaking arms and getting shot - not quite that bad.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:11 PM

Shifting speed
A major disappointment.
yvesj, something is bad wrong with your car or the way you are manipulating the SMG controls. My recommendations:

1. Use the paddles to shift, especially up the scale.
2. For a smooth slick shift, lift the accelerator pedal foot (just slightly, not all the way) as you lift the paddle. Think of the paddle as being connected to your toes. The result will be an almost imperceptible, but reasonably fast shift.

Some teach that motor skills require 2000 reps to start being reflex. So stay with it. I am usually in 6th in traffic at 30 MPH. That's five practices for every light. The experience adds up fast. 400 traffic lights and you've got it!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Nov 22 2004, 01:19 PM
It feels to me the car is "learning" my driving habbits.
[snapback]59360[/snapback]
I think the driver is learning the car's habits instead...I've never seen anything that mentions that the SMG does any learning...

edit: It's been discoverd that the SMG does, in fact, adapt in some way. No specifics are known about exactly what it adapts to but in replacing the SMG transmission, the TIS documents do state that some adaptation programming is required. Click here for additional information.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

My car shift very quickly. I was thinking that the reason that many manufactures are offering a SMG type alternative is because the E60 now has 6 or 7 gears, not "4 on the floor" of the old days. Imagine that every time you stop you have to stomp on a clutch 6 or 7 times to get up to speed.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Members

Jeez man, my car is on the boat streamlining for NYC and I was starting to think I blew it by ordering SMG without driving it............

Quick Reply: SMG (E60) - It's OK but ... (long)