E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG driving tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Got my 545i with SMG (finally) on Saturday!!! Awesome, simply awesome.
But, the SMG is pretty jerky. I try to lift the trottle a bit during upshifts, but I can't get it as smooth as a manual. Any hints on how to do this better?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

Using sport mode helps. Getting the technique of easing on the throttle as you are doing is the best for the smoothest shift. I understand the problems because I had similar at first, but over time they go away. Either we get better or the transmission adapts. Keep working with it (SMG) and the two of you will eventually work the wrinkles out. If you were good with a stick, you can get good with SMG, too.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Thats right, you need to drive it a bit. If you have driven traditional sticks, you already know to let up on the gas and prepare for your head moving forward. The same thing happens on the SMG your just not in rhythm yet.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Don't fret, you'll get it down soon no matter what mode (normal or sport) you use. Starting out with sport does help (as JDN suggested) because it shifts a bit quicker. Once you get the new rhythm down, you'll be able to be smooth in either mode.

If you're still in the break-in period, it makes it doubly difficult because you can't use all the revs to learn how the car works. Just be patient while your brain is re-programmed!

One bit of advice on when to feather the throttle -- think for a minute about the timing of a gear change. In a traditional manual, your left foot initiates the change by pressing the clutch. From there, your brain tells your right foot to lift off the throttle. After that, you move the gear selector with your hand then release the clutch and add throttle back.

In an SMG, the shift sequence is initiated by your hand. When you pull the gear selector (paddle or stick), you tell the car to press the clutch, change gears, and release the clutch. Try to play with the timing of your throttle foot a little bit by delaying when you feather it (no need to lift entirely). When I was a "SMG rookie," I found that if I waited to feather the throttle just a tiny bit more than what came naturally, the shifts were smoother. Think about the fact that there is an extra delay from the time you pull the handle to when the car actually has the clutch in. I think early on I was pulling the handle and immediately feathering instead of pulling the handle and feathering slightly later. (Also keep in mind that although it helps sometimes, feathering isn't completely necessary -- if you feather too much, you sort of confuse the car a little because it's already trying to manage the throttle for you.)

Your mileage may vary but it's something to concentrate on while you're reprogramming your brain. Either way, it will get better and once you get in the "zone," you will begin to have even more fun with the car.

Good luck and good choice!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hey Guys,

I am just trying to get ahead and re-program my brain with SMG. On the previous thread, you guys mentioned that the down shift is very smooth. Do you have to let go of gas when down shifting as well?

Secondly, when coming to a gradual planned stop, do you let the SMG down shift for you? This will prevent engine braking thus making the decrease in speed smoother right?

Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

Downshifting works wo easing on the pedal. Just paddle down, one, two or three - haven't tried four yet - and hammer the pedal as you do if you want to accelerate. For decelerarion downshifts, either works OK. If you want maximum engine braking, paddle down as you go. Otherwise, auto downshifts will take over. It's a driver's choice.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Letting SMG do it for you is very smooth. However, with the new exhaust I just can't keep smiling every time I downshift. I look for reasons to slow down.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Members

I'm rather enthralled by the fact that I can "shift-without-lifting." So ... when I'm accelerating onto a freeway, I love flooring the throttle and just shifting ... my head bobs up and down like the Montoya's head (before the HANS device) when he'd shift as a result of the "jerkiness" but I love it! So I've rarely been feathering the throttle at all. Having said that, I never really tried to "learn" how to drive the car smoothly, but last week, when I had the 'rents in the car, I figured out I could drive the car really smoothly anyway, so go figure.

I also am experimenting a bit with left-foot braking ... the only problem being, when I have my left foot on the brake pedal, from time to time I think I need to press on the clutch, and end up braking the car instead.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Has anyone noticed that you can change gears with the cruise control on? It's kinda interesting.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by fuenfer' date='Sep 20 2004, 09:20 PM
I also am experimenting a bit with left-foot braking ... the only problem being, when I have my left foot on the brake pedal, from time to time I think I need to press on the clutch, and end up braking the car instead.
Keep practicing. It's very helpful in some driving situations when you are able to drive with both feet.
Reaction time gets reduced dramatically.

Quick Reply: SMG driving tips