E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG and/or Comfort Access when valet parking in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of trading in for a 550i with SMG and comfort access.

But, I drive in to Manhattan almost every day, and very often have to park in a garage.

Would anyone here care to comment about their experiences with leaving their SMG e60 at the hands of the infamous valets of Manhattan garages?

Also, is there such a thing as a plastic valet key when opting for comfort access?

Thanks much in advance.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

Originally Posted by mwsu545i' post='209062' date='Dec 9 2005, 05:38 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of trading in for a 550i with SMG and comfort access.

But, I drive in to Manhattan almost every day, and very often have to park in a garage.

Would anyone here care to comment about their experiences with leaving their SMG e60 at the hands of the infamous valets of Manhattan garages?

Also, is there such a thing as a plastic valet key when opting for comfort access?

Thanks much in advance.
I am in Florida, not NYC, but in my experience valets do not have a clue about what SMG is and how it works. I almost always have to give to teach them how to use it. Sometimes they just tell me to leave the car at the front spot, which I like.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

1) I cannot believe you americans give your keys to a complete stranger to park your car. Someoe would have to pry my keys from my dying hands before they get it.

2) With comfort access the key fob can be used just like a normal one. So just give them the key and let them use its buttons and insert it to start
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I am in NYC about 1 -2 times a week. Early on (end of 2004) I had some valets just sit there and not know what to do. Now, it seem that they all can handle it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have SMG, and valet park all the time.

Sometimes the guys sit there wondering what to do... but they get it eventually.

But... most valets leave my car up front anyway.

When I stayed at the Breakers in Palm Beach, they left my car out front all weekend with an Aston Martin and a Bentley. I was impressed.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

mwsu545i,

I live in downtown Manhattan and I've never had a problem with any garage in NYC.

When I brought the car to my local garage for the first time, the manager said he's seen many SMG M3's before so my car was definately not a problem. I did have to remind one of the other attendents to start the car in neutral once, but that's about it.

Besides my local garage, I've also left my car at a few other lots in Manhattan when I've gone out. Never had a problem either. Nowadays if I end up parking at a garage I've never been to before, I don't even bother mentioning its an SMG to the attendents anymore.

Sorry I don't have Comfort Access so I don't know about that. But considering how many luxury cars there are in Manhattan, I'm sure garages are already very familar with Comfort Access and MB's Keyless Go.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I've valet'd once since having the car and was skeptical like you since it does seem to take some special care but the place I went was a very upscale resturant where Ferraris/exotics go all the time so I figured they probably know what their doing.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've never valet parked this car (because of the SMG) but I'm sure one of these days I'll have to. Usually, I just pull up to the valet and politely tell them that I'd prefer to park it myself. They usually have no problem and just tell me where to park. Granted, that's usually at restaurants, etc. where there's a lot. I doubt I'll be able to pull that off at a place where the valets jockey cars to some place a good distance away...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'll never let valet park either... sucks how some only has valet parking. I actually avoid those places... so they're actually losing business...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

As for parking yourself in Manhattan:

The garages here will not let you park it yourself unless you are a monthly customer and have a special "deal" with them, or if you find one of the handful of self park/lock garages in Manhattan. If you are not a monthly customer and tell them that you want to park it yourself, they will likely turn you away. During weekdays many garages are at or near full capacity so they probably won't want the hassle of you driving in their tight spaces. You could try to slip them a 20 and see what happens though.

When I first got the 545 I was thinking of striking a "deal" with my garage manager to park it myself. But once I was assured that attendents wouldn't have a problem with SMG, and also considering the extra cost of this "deal", I just let them park it everytime.

Like I said, SMG has not been a problem for me at Manhattan garages so far.

Quick Reply: SMG and/or Comfort Access when valet parking in NYC