E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG available on any e60 LCI (apart from M5)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is SMG available on special order to 535i?

I learned that 6sp manuel is not available until September production for the 535i, is there another alternative to the steptronic auto tranny till then?
How about the 550i?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by rollee' post='424328' date='May 14 2007, 02:26 PM
Is SMG available on special order to 535i?

I learned that 6sp manuel is not available until September production for the 535i, is there another alternative to the steptronic auto tranny till then?
How about the 550i?
There is sports auto with paddles. Not SMG
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='424339' date='May 14 2007, 02:56 PM
There is sports auto with paddles. Not SMG
I think it should be known if not already so that the new sports auto tranny is not really an auto in any sense as we know it-It is everything an SMG was and more and everything an auto is but never was.

Basically it is a double clutch auto that delivers equal power through the drivetrain to a manual and loses no power through a torque converter (doesnt have one)-basically like a hydralic automatic clutch would be more accurate. Basically is like a smooth SMG-shifts quicker than the SMG does or most manual people can dream of yet in auto mode is smooth as any bmw auto you will drive.

It is basically like steptronic without the powertrain loss, slow shifts and no torque converter-really a breakthrough> SMG TRIED to replace manual trannys but never did either quite well enough. These new sport autos will definetly replace manual trannys for 95 percent of bmw vehicles in the pretty near future. BMW is always one step ahead of the game in one way or another
Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='424424' date='May 14 2007, 09:32 PM
I think it should be known if not already so that the new sports auto tranny is not really an auto in any sense as we know it-It is everything an SMG was and more and everything an auto is but never was.

Basically it is a double clutch auto that delivers equal power through the drivetrain to a manual and loses no power through a torque converter (doesnt have one)-basically like a hydralic automatic clutch would be more accurate. Basically is like a smooth SMG-shifts quicker than the SMG does or most manual people can dream of yet in auto mode is smooth as any bmw auto you will drive.

It is basically like steptronic without the powertrain loss, slow shifts and no torque converter-really a breakthrough> SMG TRIED to replace manual trannys but never did either quite well enough. These new sport autos will definetly replace manual trannys for 95 percent of bmw vehicles in the pretty near future. BMW is always one step ahead of the game in one way or another
Where did you get your information on the sports automatic? From everything we've seen so far, the sport auto does not have a double clutch (like the DSG) but instead is more like the current (LCI) steptronic with different software to make it more like the SMG (with throttle blipping on downshifts, etc.)...
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='424424' date='May 15 2007, 05:32 AM

You are not right. New Auto has torque converter and it is not a DSG-like transmission. It works faster than usual steptronic and can lock gears just after start. But it is still auto transmission. First DSG-like transmission will be presented on new M3 next spring - that's what current official releases say
Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Call me old school but I really prefer to drive manuel. I will wait another 2 months to having it on the LCI.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

As I understand, the double clutch is due in a couple of years and will only be an option for the F10/F11 M5. If you believe the papers...